The Student Room Group

3 year B.Eng ???

hello

in my country an engineer must have ECTS 300 (5 years)

i see in european countries bachelors in engineering with ECTS 180 (3 years)

why that? in the countries with 3-year engineer bachelors, can these graduates work or they need a master?

thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by studos
hello

why that? in the countries with 3-year engineer bachelors, can these graduates work or they need a master?

thanks!

You can get a job with a BEng, or you could do a 4 years MEng. You could also just do a BEng and a MSc on top.
Reply 2
Which country are you on about?

Some countries may have longer degrees, but they will spend the first year or two doing broader studies. For instance, in America their degrees are typically 4 years long (Bachelor's) and the first year is spent getting everyone up to the same level in general academic skills. In the UK, we have a college system which lasts 2 years and gives those same sorts of skills (in the US they enter college to get a degree after highschool. In the UK, college does not give a degree, but it gives the skills to go on to do a degree).

The other possibility is that it is a part-time degree, which can take a year or two longer to complete.

Do you enter university straight after high school, or do you do a couple of years at a college first? Those extra years might just be to broaden your knowledge and might not relate to the degree. It would be worth looking at the course content for each year to make a direct comparison. When I started my degree, everything was purely degree based! In other countries, they might be teaching basic math, English and science skills too.
Original post by studos
hello

thanks!

You can work with a BEng but MEng is required in some businesses, and will generally get you a higher starting salary ( which makes sense given you have put more time into your education)

Quick Reply

Latest