The Student Room Group

Adult with aquaphobia learning to swim

I had a rather traumatic water experience as a child (nearly drowned) and, as a consequence, have avoided being in water since then.

However, I'm now in my twenties and am beginning to feel like I've missed out on a vital skill. Plus, if I ever have a child, I don't want them to be affected by my phobia and inability - I wouldn't want them to have to avoid water because of my lack of skills or pick up the message that the normal response is fear.

I'd like to learn to swim, but the thought of actually going in water still terrifies me and makes me feel sick to my stomach. Is there any way that could help me overcome this and learn how to swim?
Reply 1
Bump.
There are adult classes available at most swimming pools, so maybe speaking to someone at your local pool about it? I think they probably encounter your problem more often than people would think!
Reply 3
Oh no! I don't suffer from the phobia personally, but I can understand how you feel it might hold you back. Especially in the future as you say, if you have children.

Could you reintroduce yourself to water/a swimming pool slowly, one step at a time. Maybe one day sit on the side and dip your feet in, another day walk down a few steps into the pool, maybe another time just keep to the shallow end with your feet firmly on the ground?

How about hot tubs? Maybe you could see how you'd feel about sitting down for a few minutes in one of those?
Reply 4
i don't know if it would be a option for you financially, but a few sessions of CBT can work really well with phobias. A friend of mine also overcame a crippling fear of heights with hypnotherapy, but I don't know how rigorous that is.
You should try hypnotherapy - this can be a fantastic treatment for specific phobias and overcoming traumatic experiences. Do a bit of research to find a therapist you get on with/trust. I don't know if it's available on the NHS.

You could try your own 'exposure therapy.' So, maybe you have a friend with a private swimming pool? Or you know of a quiet public pool? Go at a quieter time of day (mid-morning) and have a go at just putting your foot in the water. Then sit with your legs in the water until the anxiety goes away. It may take a while, but if you're around water everyday in a relaxed environment, you'll probably start to feel better about it. It might also help to see everyone else having fun and splashing about - you might see that it's really not that bad. Have a chat to one of the lifeguards about how to swim safely. Maybe you could have swimming lessons?

I'd have confidence that it's a pretty simple phobia to overcome. You'll get there! Stay positive, my friend.
Reply 6
Original post by Flotographer
I had a rather traumatic water experience as a child (nearly drowned) and, as a consequence, have avoided being in water since then.

However, I'm now in my twenties and am beginning to feel like I've missed out on a vital skill. Plus, if I ever have a child, I don't want them to be affected by my phobia and inability - I wouldn't want them to have to avoid water because of my lack of skills or pick up the message that the normal response is fear.

I'd like to learn to swim, but the thought of actually going in water still terrifies me and makes me feel sick to my stomach. Is there any way that could help me overcome this and learn how to swim?

Same thing as a kid, was dragged out to sea by a rip current and was thankfully pulled free by my Uncle.

Terrified of water up until the age of 14/15 when finally confronted and got over it, now I love swimming.

No point in therapy or anything like that, without it happening to you, it's not possible to understand someone's mind in quite the right way.

Best thing I can suggest is, lying chest down in a full bath and dipping your head under water several times. Get used to allowing the water go into your ears, for me this was a big deal at first because of the sound of the water, bringing back everything from being dragged out.

Keep persevering and eventually you need to get past the fear and realise you are complete control. There are no environmental variables to factor in when swimming in a public pool or bath, quite like a strong under current etc.

Try the bath thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Therapy can help to work through the emotional implications of your phobia. However, your best course of action is going to find a swim instructor comfortable working with adults and those with anxiety over being in the water. Try not to get on yourself too hard if you don't progress as fast as you would like to. There are going to be lessons where you finish feeling like you've conquered the world whereas there may be some where you may feel like you are back at square one. Try not to be such a harsh judge of yourself or try to compare your progress and ability to anyone else. Swimming like any other activity is something you have to keep at, cultivate a habit. In many ways it is less about your progress in the beginning and more about just getting into the water no matter what you do or at what depth. I would also suggest finding a friend or two and asking for their support while you work on getting over this fear. Being able to talk to them while you work through this process will provide you some much needed emotional aid and make it feel less like you are going it alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending