The Student Room Group

Do Uni Students Like Mail?

I was debating whether to post this here, but best ask the uni students, right?

Well, my oldest sibling has recently started at university (in New Zealand). By recently, I mean last week.

I am just wondering whether paper mail is appreciated by uni students? Each student has a little mailbox in the lobby of the halls and I know her address but I don't know whether she'll care if I send her anything. She is unlikely to reply by mail as the nearest postbox is quite a way away but she can always email me back.

So I was wondering:

Should I...

Just email/skype/viber her?

Send her normal paper mail?

Send her paper mail (letters) that don't ask any questions or expect her to respond?

Something else entirely?

It's not really a big deal, but I was wondering whether as new uni students any of you did or would have appreciated letters from home, or whether they would be bothersome or even just not a big enough deal to be noticed.

Thanks!
Reply 1
When I have post its normally something I've ordered or a bill of some kind. A letter would be fantastic. Send a letter!
Reply 2
Definitely! It's really fun and different. I'm from London but I live in Leicester for uni, even though I speak to one of my friends via phone/text/whatsapp/twitter/Facebook we have this thing where we surprise eachother and write letters sometimes putting random gifts inside too. It's a nice way to communicate, sometimes it's easier to say certain things when you're actually writing them :smile:

Her last one included a "I know what you did last summer" but she forgot to write my name on it so my housemates thought I was being tormented haha :')
(edited 11 years ago)
I. Get. Ridiculously. Excited. About. Packages.

It's terrible.
Letter!!!!!

Uni students love mail.
Love getting mail. Normally all we get in our letterbox is junkmail/ stuff for people who lived here last year. We go absolutely mental when someone's gone shopping/ ordered something off the internet and its arrived.
Reply 6
Yes, send a letter or a card. I think your sister would love to get one.

- Rachel
Thanks, everyone. I put a letter in the post so I'll see how it goes down. :smile:
Reply 8
Uni students definitely don't like mail when its a final notice from TV Licensing :wink:
Reply 9
I'd love to receive something in the post! Much nicer than the usual bills and take away fliers!
I love letters and packages! :biggrin:
Although i get very disappointed when i open them up to find a boring bank statement, a bill, or some junk advertising...

Definitely, send a letter, it feels a lot more special and has a personal touch to it! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
We love mail it was the single most exciting thing that happened while out of lectures in the day while in my digs:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending