The Student Room Group

MDMA and antidepressants

I started taking 20mg of citalopram, an antidepressant, yesterday. I like to take MD on nights out and I was reading about the two drugs interacting and it said antidepressants basically stop the feelings from MD. I generally take 0.6 a night.

Some sites also said that it takes a while for the antidepressants to kick in and it might not stop the feelings of MD immediately.

I was planning on taking MD on the 10th day of me taking citalopram.

Would I feel any effects? Would I need to up my dosage? Does anyone else have any experiences of this?
Its true that antidepressants often stop MDMA from working but I think more importantly think about this;

This isnt a preach about MDMA, I see nothing wrong with safe use of it, but it has a comedown that can lead to depression into the weeks following use.

So isnt it a little contradictory to be taking MDMA on nights out, then citalopram to combat some sort of depression you are having?

You say you take it on nights out...how often? Think, is it contributing to my depression?

As for "will I need to up my dosage" if you decided to take it, I would say take the amount your normally take, else if the anti-depressents have no effect on its effects, you may get more messy than you planned to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Its true that antidepressants often stop MDMA from working but I think more importantly think about this;

This isnt a preach about MDMA, I see nothing wrong with safe use of it, but it has a comedown that can lead to depression into the weeks following use.

So isnt it a little contradictory to be taking MDMA on nights out, then citalopram to combat some sort of depression you are having?

You say you take it on nights out...how often? Think, is it contributing to my depression?

As for "will I need to up my dosage" if you decided to take it, I would say take the amount your normally take, else if the anti-depressents have no effect on its effects, you may get more messy than you planned to.

My comedowns are mild, I get one mopey day 2 days after I take it and then I'm fine as normal. If anything taking MD is great if you're feeling depressed because it makes you feel such wonderful euphoria.
Original post by Chewyy
My comedowns are mild, I get one mopey day 2 days after I take it and then I'm fine as normal. If anything taking MD is great if you're feeling depressed because it makes you feel such wonderful euphoria.

You know your own body, do if you say so...But if your fine "as normal" why the antidepessents at all? S'all im saying.

Hmmm but it uses up your (lacking, if depressed) seretonin reserves.
Dont get me wrong, I have had the most wonderful afterglow from a few times I have used it, so I am sure fo a first or second time user it has positive, rather than negative, aftereffects, but if I suffered from depression of lack of energy its something I would avoid.
You should really talk to your GP about this, or your mental health worker. Citalopram is not something you should mix with street drugs as it will not be possible to gauge the success or failure of the anti depressant for you correctly. Anti depressants work but finding the one that works best for an individual patient is a process of trial and error with your GP. Mixing street drugs with this will make it very difficult to establish the efficacy of Cialopram for you and may result in you trying other medications when Citalopram may have been the correct one. Anti depressants can be required for a lifetime or just to help through a particular period but by using street drugs in combination it will be very hard to work out how you are really improving and thus it may possibly prolong unnecessarily a treatment that might otherwise have be an effective short term remedy.
Reply 5
Original post by Chewyy
I started taking 20mg of citalopram, an antidepressant, yesterday. I like to take MD on nights out and I was reading about the two drugs interacting and it said antidepressants basically stop the feelings from MD. I generally take 0.6 a night.

Some sites also said that it takes a while for the antidepressants to kick in and it might not stop the feelings of MD immediately.

Would I feel any effects? Would I need to up my dosage? Does anyone else have any experiences of this?

I wouldn't [expletive] around with dosage...

ADs are pretty serious drugs, I wouldn't want to just start adding a bunch of unknown street drugs to the mix. Not really worth the risk. If you plan to, rather than asking a bunch of teenagers (plus a few older) on the internet ask your GP.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Chewyy

This is not a safe thing to do, both of these drugs will result in raised serotonin, and if combined could result in some very nasty and potentially life threatening effects. Never combine your medication with street drugs, they can grossly interact and you can never know what's in them and could therefore be very risky indeed. This is without focussing on the issues that can arise with your mental health with this kind of thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending