The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by physicsnut
If anyone needs any advice I would be happy to help! As a 2013 applicant I'm pretty clued up about all these things at the moment at what certain Unis look for.

Applied to Oxford (rejected), Imperial (firm), UCL (insurance), Durham, Lancaster

and know plenty about St Andrews, Manchester, and Kings.

Hey there, what were the interviews like for Oxford and imperial in particular? Were they very academic in nature and also did they expect higher knowledge or just application of knowledge from a different perspective?
Original post by excal9
Hey there, what were the interviews like for Oxford and imperial in particular? Were they very academic in nature and also did they expect higher knowledge or just application of knowledge from a different perspective?

Unfortunately I didn't reach the interview stage at oxford, I was very ill after coming back from India recovering from paratyphoid, on the day of the PAT, however I can say that they ask you things you should know. Basic fundamentals of physics in interesting situations. However they will introduce new ideas to you and expect you to interpret them.

As for imperial they ask mechanics questions involving more complex maths like double angle formula and stuff. Then a little on your personal statement. Mostly about physics topics you're interested in. Both are pretty much academic, and unlike the majority of other physics courses interview does not equal a place. For example at UCL it was more of a friendly chat and Lancaster was very formal and academic but they gave you an offer no matter what.

Both are amazing unis and extremely competitive and I'm so grateful that I got into imperial.

Oh and tips for the PAT, learn unit 4 and radioactivity in unit 5 physics prior to taking the PAT, recently they've started to test on that stuff...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by physicsnut
Oh and tips for the PAT, learn unit 4 and radioactivity in unit 5 physics prior to taking the PAT, recently they've started to test on that stuff...
I'm planning on applying to Cambridge as opposed to Oxford, I decided which college I wanted to apply to before I found out how competitive they are, I'm starting to regret liking trinity... :/
Original post by excal9
I'm planning on applying to Cambridge as opposed to Oxford, I decided which college I wanted to apply to before I found out how competitive they are, I'm starting to regret liking trinity... :/

There's still plenty of time to change and chances are you won't even end up st your first choice college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Original post by excal9

Apply to whichever college you like the most as the application process is such that the best students regardless of where they apply get in. I'm still not entirely decided on oxbridge but unless i get in the mid to high 90's for ums oxford is likely to be the chosen university. My brother got 97% in physics 93% in chemistry and 88% (4 ums off an A* he did whole a2 in j6) he got pooled but in the end didn't get a place. I reckon to be likely of getting a place i (and others) will need around those marks or better. As a result I'd wait till results days before setting your heart on either university
Original post by excal9

Hi there I interviewed at Oxford.

The interview is purely academic in nature, I was only asked maths and physics questions, nothing about my interests or statement.

Although I applied post-A level I don't believe that really changed the questions I was asked, they were all considering fundamental maths and physics - ideal gasses, gravitation, sequences, graph sketching ect... there was nothing that you couldn't solve having just started A2.

If you want to be in with a good chance you have to make sure you have a strong PAT, it isn't too hard to prepare for as the past papers are all online. The PAT eclipses most other aspects of your application when they consider you for interview, so it has to be good. It is harder to prepare for the interview, you just need to remember your basics and try and tackle the questions using them.
Reply 106
Original post by benwoodyear
Hi there I interviewed at Oxford.

The interview is purely academic in nature, I was only asked maths and physics questions, nothing about my interests or statement.

Although I applied post-A level I don't believe that really changed the questions I was asked, they were all considering fundamental maths and physics - ideal gasses, gravitation, sequences, graph sketching ect... there was nothing that you couldn't solve having just started A2.

If you want to be in with a good chance you have to make sure you have a strong PAT, it isn't too hard to prepare for as the past papers are all online. The PAT eclipses most other aspects of your application when they consider you for interview, so it has to be good. It is harder to prepare for the interview, you just need to remember your basics and try and tackle the questions using them.

Thanks for this, I'm not too sure how to prepare for the Cambridge interview/test aside from just learning my specification, as it says there is no entry test so to speak for natural sciences but there is a test at interview which from the only past paper I can find seems to be about all physical science subjects.
Original post by excal9
Thanks for this, I'm not too sure how to prepare for the Cambridge interview/test aside from just learning my specification, as it says there is no entry test so to speak for natural sciences but there is a test at interview which from the only past paper I can find seems to be about all physical science subjects.

For that I reckon you would just want to get pretty slick with all the maths you have done so far. If it's physical sciences it's likely they will put in questions which will be on unfamiliar topics, but only require the maths you have covered so far to solve, mainly mechanics I would expect. You don't want to be wasting time thinking about the maths when you should be considering the science of the problem.

Without having sat one of those tests myself I can't really give you any more advice than that, sorry!
Reply 108
Hey I'm looking to do physics and philosophy (joint degree), oxford and bristol being my top two atm, but durhum apparently does a good joint honours degree as well :smile:
Do any of you do further maths?
Reply 109
Original post by hjonesy
Hey I'm looking to do physics and philosophy (joint degree), oxford and bristol being my top two atm, but durhum apparently does a good joint honours degree as well :smile:
Do any of you do further maths?

I dont do Further Maths as a subject. But I am doing STEP I in June, so in July I`ll probably do some of further maths in next few weeks.
Reply 110
Original post by Flea32
I dont do Further Maths as a subject. But I am doing STEP I in June, so in July I`ll probably do some of further maths in next few weeks.

Yeah, im taking it to A2 but if it gets too difficult imma gonna drop it, but loads of unis say its really useful :s-smilie: What's STEP?
Reply 111
Original post by hjonesy
Yeah, im taking it to A2 but if it gets too difficult imma gonna drop it, but loads of unis say its really useful :s-smilie: What's STEP?

Its math exam.
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/our-services/subject-specific/step/about-step/

Read here more about it.
Reply 112
Looking to do physics at either Durham, Manchester or QUB.
Anyone recommend any good unis for physics? (excluding oxbridge and imperial)
Annnd this thread suddenly makes me feel very old.

I'm a first year Durham physicist, so if you've got any questions I'm happy to answer. I applied for Durham, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Sheffield, and considered Theoretical physics, maths and physics, and physics and philosophy, before settling on straight physics, so ask away.
Reply 114
I'm thinking of applying for Maths with Physics at Cambridge (avoid possibility of doing chemistry in first year :s-smilie:) then physics at Imperial, Warwick, UCL & Durham...

What's the actual difference between studying Theoretical physics & Maths and physics anyway? I saw UCL give out offers AAB for Theoretical physics, but then Mathematical Physics is A*AA!
Reply 115
Original post by bistonut

I'm a first year Durham physicist, so if you've got any questions I'm happy to answer. I applied for Durham, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Sheffield, and considered Theoretical physics, maths and physics, and physics and philosophy, before settling on straight physics, so ask away.

Why did you choose Durham?
What has been your overall experience so far?
What grades did you get at A level and what subjects?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bistonut

I love the look of Durham! How do the topics you study/content of the course change between A Level and Uni? And what was Manchester like/why did you decide against it? I'm interested in it for the Physics, but not sure about the city. Thanks :smile:
Original post by naomirebecca1
I love the look of Durham! How do the topics you study/content of the course change between A Level and Uni? And what was Manchester like/why did you decide against it? I'm interested in it for the Physics, but not sure about the city. Thanks :smile:

You have to do 6 modules, of which (for non-joint honours) 5 are compulsory. There's the core double module, in which you do courses on mechanics, electromagnetism, and "modern physics" which is quantum/atomic stuff, and half-courses on waves&optics and thermodynamics (half as they have half as many lectures). Then there's 2 maths modules, a labs module and a free one, which I do a philosophy as.

So the topics are generally similar to A-level, apart from the quantum stuff, but with a lot more emphasis on maths. For instance, mechanics for me was really easy as I did most of it in further maths a level. There's a lot more focus on proofs of laws, and you'll see integral signs on every other page. On the exams there's usually only 10% for writing stuff, and the rest is equation solving. The more mechanics modules you do in maths a level the smoother the transition will be.

I'm from near manchester so i can say it's a brilliant city. The physics course is also really good, I have a good friend who goes there. I chose Durham mainly for the collegiate system- I find it a much better experience than just living in halls. But if you couldn't handle too small a city, and want a good nightlife, manchester is the way forward.

If you've got any more questions, or want specifics on the course/Durham/Manchester feel free to ask
Original post by RickyB
Why did you choose Durham?
What has been your overall experience so far?
What grades did you get at A level and what subjects?
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't see this, see above for why I chose Durham, basically one of the top places for physics in the country, but that didn't help choose over others much, so it was the city itself and the collegiate system that won me.

Experience has been great, I love Durham for so many reasons, the course has been really good, albeit I've not been working as hard as I should have been.

I did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry and got A*A*A*A in that order.
Reply 119
Original post by Aleac
Looking to do physics at either Durham, Manchester or QUB.
Anyone recommend any good unis for physics? (excluding oxbridge and imperial)

Some places to consider are Birmingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Nottingham, Sheffield, StAndrews, UCL...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending