The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by we1shcake
how come you applied for biomed as well :smile:

It was more of a 5th choice since my personal statement is suited more towards physics but i have strong interests in biology and biomimetics so thought that i would try this course as it looked really interesting instead of appying for manchester

Original post by sjrahman
That's a shame about the delay, a piece of advice I can give about the tricky physics questions is think aloud. Often they don't want you to solve it, rather they just want to see how you think and your ability to think outside the box with unfamiliar concepts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by heather_2
Exeter looks like a great uni. On my interview they didn't ask challenging question but more asked me about the areas within physics that interested me. My interviewer asked if I had heard or read anything about quantum or particle physics as I had mention that those are my favourite aspects of physics at the moment in physics. The whole day was very relaxed.

I think they said they usually give about 140 offers but my numbers could be wrong. They aid that everyone they interview had the grades and were shortlisted. About 4 weeks after I got an offer. :biggrin: I hope this helps and good luck with the interview, just don't worry. :biggrin:

Thank you both, i did the pre-university physics course at exeter and i've also done an Open University physics short module so hope they talk to me about this as i will be able to speak confidentially on these topics. Would i be correct in assuming that its dress smart/casual more than smart?
Original post by PerryPerry95
It was more of a 5th choice since my personal statement is suited more towards physics but i have strong interests in biology and biomimetics so thought that i would try this course as it looked really interesting instead of appying for manchester

Thank you both, i did the pre-university physics course at exeter and i've also done an Open University physics short module so hope they talk to me about this as i will be able to speak confidentially on these topics. Would i be correct in assuming that its dress smart/casual more than smart?

Yh smart casual. Although some would turn up in full on suits but smart casual is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1562
Just firmed Cambridge and insured Durham :smile:

Now to concentrate on exams!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by alow
Just firmed Cambridge and insured Durham :smile:

Now to concentrate on exams!

Congrats man, you applied to imperial right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1564
Original post by JoshBedford
Congrats man, you applied to imperial right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I did. Would have insured them but the offer was the same as Cambridge's.
got an offer from cambridge yesterday!! want it to come through on UCAS so I can make my decision now :tongue:

I got an email saying I had an offer from Imperial about three weeks ago but that still hasn't come through on UCAS either :confused:
Reply 1566
Got pooled by Churchill but fished for an interview now at queens! Although they said it wouldn't be about my ability/talent but more about if I'm suitable for Cambridge/natural sciences... Not sure what kinda questions to expect (help!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jozden
Got pooled by Churchill but fished for an interview now at queens! Although they said it wouldn't be about my ability/talent but more about if I'm suitable for Cambridge/natural sciences... Not sure what kinda questions to expect (help!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh good luck!! that's a little ambiguous :confused:
Original post by Jozden

Posted from TSR Mobile

All the best!! I'm still swimming.. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1569
To those applying to Oxford, good luck for tomorrow! :smile:

They've just posted the report online, and the PAT cutoff was 68, quite high!
Original post by Abbseh
HELLO PHYSICISTS!
Time to share what you're wanting your future to be and how you intend to get there!
Here are some quick questions to get people started:
What is your name?
What universities are you interested in?
What are your subjects and hopeful grades for AS and A2?
How many prospectuses have you had all together now?
Any female physicists out there?

~~~

I'm Lucinda. Girly here :biggrin: (although not that girly) I'm only in year 11 but I've applied to take Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths for A levels. I have decent grades at GCSE (mostly As some A*s) and I hope to get good grades in AS and A2, I have already started looking at the courses to familiarise myself with the content. I am planning on applying to: Oxford (might as well take a shot), UCL, Imperial College London, King's College London and Queen Mary's University of London.
Reply 1571
Original post by lucindatownsend
I'm Lucinda. Girly here :biggrin: (although not that girly) I'm only in year 11 but I've applied to take Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths for A levels. I have decent grades at GCSE (mostly As some A*s) and I hope to get good grades in AS and A2, I have already started looking at the courses to familiarise myself with the content. I am planning on applying to: Oxford (might as well take a shot), UCL, Imperial College London, King's College London and Queen Mary's University of London.

Sounds like you're a fan of London!
Original post by PsiWave
Sounds like you're a fan of London!

Oh I love London! So easy to ignore people. I live in a village and everyone knows EVERYONE! It's insane :eek:
Reply 1573

You should consider applying to Cambridge!*:tongue:
Reply 1574

Maybe wait until you're doing A Levels because they're quite unpredictable :tongue: I've got a friend with amazing GCSE grades who's not doing great at A Level and I've got similar GCSE grades to you but my A Levels really improved on my GCSE results! Waiting to hear back from Oxford... 15% success rate... 39% got an interview... It's tough, I'll probably be rejected :redface:
Original post by alow
You should consider applying to Cambridge!*:tongue:

I've looked at Cambridge but the courses don't really appeal to me. Also Oxford has the Bodleian Library!
Original post by Jatom
Maybe wait until you're doing A Levels because they're quite unpredictable :tongue: I've got a friend with amazing GCSE grades who's not doing great at A Level and I've got similar GCSE grades to you but my A Levels really improved on my GCSE results! Waiting to hear back from Oxford... 15% success rate... 39% got an interview... It's tough, I'll probably be rejected :redface:

I hope you do all right! You might as well apply; if you don't you've 0% chance of getting in! I have a long time to decide I just like to know my options.
Reply 1577
I hope you do all right! You might as well apply; if you don't you've 0% chance of getting in! I have a long time to decide I just like to know my options.

Definitely apply :biggrin: If all goes well, maybe I'll see you at Oxford in a couple of years :tongue:
Reply 1578
Original post by Jatom

25.3% success rate for NatSci at Cambridge and they interview pretty much everyone :wink:

I've looked at Cambridge but the courses don't really appeal to me. Also Oxford has the Bodleian Library!

That's fair enough, personally I like the idea of getting to do a bit more Chemistry and something else :smile:

But the Cambridge University Library!
Original post by Jatom
Definitely apply :biggrin: If all goes well, maybe I'll see you at Oxford in a couple of years :tongue:

That would be nice! What course are you planning on taking because I've seen a few universities where you can take an MSc which is a four year course and it involves all the BSc stuff as well. I thought you had to take a Bsc before an MSc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending