The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
Original post by excal9
Yeah, I thought my interview was average at best. Cinema me thinks.

I thought mine was decidedly below average, but maybe that was just me overanalysing!
Reply 1541
Original post by alow
I thought mine was decidedly below average, but maybe that was just me overanalysing!

maybe so :P I assume it'll be your firm? :smile:
Reply 1542
Original post by excal9
maybe so :P I assume it'll be your firm? :smile:

Yeah it will be :tongue: I'm going to insure Durham.

Have you decided where you're firming/insuring?
Reply 1543
Original post by alow
Yeah it will be :tongue: I'm going to insure Durham.

Have you decided where you're firming/insuring?

Not sure where to insure, i like manchester but it's a 2 A* offer, maybe leeds as its close to home. It still hasn't sunk in
Rejected by Cambridge :frown: didnt really like imperial so will be firming Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys just been reading through this thread and thought i'd participate. I've applied for;

Physics at cardiff, Exeter, Nottingham and Imperial
Biomedical Engineering at imperial

GCSE grades were 7A* 5A
AS grades were AABB [maths, phys, chem, biol (D in coursework)]
A2 predicted are A*AAA (maths, phys, biol, AS Further Maths)

Application was sent off at the beginning of December due to delays at my school (4 weeks) and had an email off exeter about an interview on 02/01/2014

Pretty confident in the validity of my personal statement but a bit nervous about my ability to overcome tricky physics question which require on the spot thinking, any body have any insight into the interview process at Exeter or any similar unis to the ones i've applied to?

[EDIT- P.S. Im not quite a new member i just changed account because i couldnt remember my old info and couldnt access my email account to reset it]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PerryPerry95
Hey guys just been reading through this thread and thought i'd participate. I've applied for;

GCSE grades were 7A* 5A

Application was sent off at the beginning of December due to delays at my school (4 weeks) and had an email off exeter about an interview on 02/01/2014

Pretty confident in the validity of my personal statement but a bit nervous about my ability to overcome tricky physics question which require on the spot thinking, any body have any insight into the interview process at Exeter or any similar unis to the ones i've applied to?

[EDIT- P.S. Im not quite a new member i just changed account because i couldnt remember my old info and couldnt access my email account to reset it]

how come you applied for biomed as well :smile:

GCSE grades were 7A* 5A

That's a shame about the delay, a piece of advice I can give about the tricky physics questions is think aloud. Often they don't want you to solve it, rather they just want to see how you think and your ability to think outside the box with unfamiliar concepts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSE grades were 7A* 5A

Exeter looks like a great uni. On my interview they didn't ask challenging question but more asked me about the areas within physics that interested me. My interviewer asked if I had heard or read anything about quantum or particle physics as I had mention that those are my favourite aspects of physics at the moment in physics. The whole day was very relaxed.

I think they said they usually give about 140 offers but my numbers could be wrong. They aid that everyone they interview had the grades and were shortlisted. About 4 weeks after I got an offer. :biggrin: I hope this helps and good luck with the interview, just don't worry. :biggrin:
Original post by excal9
OFFER FROM CAMBRIDGE :biggrin: (corpus christi) over the moon!

Same! Well done :smile:
Reply 1550
Original post by Tons of Sobs
Same! Well done :smile:

Hopefully see you there then :smile: congratulations by the way.
Reply 1551
Pooled by kings cambridge... I feel terrible now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1552
Original post by Goods
Pooled by kings cambridge... I feel terrible now

Posted from TSR Mobile

So was my friend, you can still get an offer though, and you're clearly a very good candidate! :smile:
Reply 1553
Original post by Jatom
So was my friend, you can still get an offer though, and you're clearly a very good candidate! :smile:

unlikely... being pooled with a 97% average is essentially a condemnation that i'm not cambridge material...
Reply 1554
Original post by Goods
unlikely... being pooled with a 97% average is essentially a condemnation that i'm not cambridge material...

You'll only have a higher chance of being fished out now though! One bad day of interviewing should not put you off/hinder your chances that much. I am probably going to be in the same boat(pun intended) as you, when I actually get my decision, which could be the 10th....
Reply 1555
Original post by alow
Offer from Cambridge! Conditional on an A in Further Maths :smile:

Congrats! Though I'm not surprised! :P

Pretty sure I won't be getting into Oxford...

And Jatom, I applied October 9th and my Imperial interview is on January 20th. You should get yours soon.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1556
Original post by PsiWave

And Jatom, I applied October 9th and my Imperial interview is on January 20th. You should get yours soon.

Hopefully! Good with Oxford as well! What college did you apply to?
Reply 1557
Original post by Jatom
Hopefully! Good with Oxford as well! What college did you apply to?

Balliol. You asked me this during the interview period but my internet was too slow for me to answer.

Good luck to you too!
Reply 1558
Original post by excal9
Not sure where to insure, i like manchester but it's a 2 A* offer, maybe leeds as its close to home. It still hasn't sunk in

Yeah Manchester had a really nice department. Hopefully insurance won't matter for either of us!

I still can't believe it, it doesn't feel real.

Original post by PsiWave

Thanks! Haha well I was!

You don't know that yet! I was convinced I hadn't got into Cambridge...
Reply 1559
Original post by PsiWave
Balliol. You asked me this during the interview period but my internet was too slow for me to answer.

Good luck to you too!

Thanks! Christ Church for me :smile: I ask everyone :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending