The Student Room Group

Contact lenses issue

So I got given a trial for contact lenses for distance (I'm short-sighted) although my vision up close is pretty good.

Whilst the contact lenses work as they should for the distance part, my vision gets very blurry and I get a headache when I try to focus on things close up (like a card reader machine, my notebook etc). Anyone else had this problem and what the solutions might be? I really don't want to wear glasses anymore!
I have this problem. It also feels like I have something in my eye which I thought I'd be used to by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sarah_22_16
I have this problem. It also feels like I have something in my eye which I thought I'd be used to by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have exactly that, I keep rubbing the corner of my eyes to try and get something out but nothing is there. How long have you been wearing contact lenses for? Do you just... put up with it?
Original post by peasandqueues
So I got given a trial for contact lenses for distance (I'm short-sighted) although my vision up close is pretty good.

Whilst the contact lenses work as they should for the distance part, my vision gets very blurry and I get a headache when I try to focus on things close up (like a card reader machine, my notebook etc). Anyone else had this problem and what the solutions might be? I really don't want to wear glasses anymore!

A couple things!

The first is that I remember an optician saying a while ago that your contact lens and glasses prescription can be different - mine is!

The second is that it may take an hour or two for your eyes to get used to it when you're wearing them. I got a new pair of glasses recently and I thought they'd made the prescription too strong or something because it felt like my eyes were all over the place but all it took was a few hours and times of wearing them to get used to it.

Contact lenses take ages to get used to; putting them in, taking them out, wearing them! It took me about a year to really suss them out and now I can put them in and take them out without even looking. :smile:

They can start feeling scratchy after a while of wearing them - your eyes may get a bit dry. It's normally more comfortable and adviced to take them out at that point. However, it may also be your mind playing tricks on you a bit; because you're still very aware of them, you might be imagining that they get a bit scratchy or whatever.

Stick it out, keep wearing them and see if your eyes get used to the up-close thing. I seem to remember a similar thing happening to me when I first tried them but if you think it's really bad STILL after a few days then go speak to your opticians!!
Yeah I have exactly that, I keep rubbing the corner of my eyes to try and get something out but nothing is there. How long have you been wearing contact lenses for? Do you just... put up with it?

Not very long. I wore them for about 2 weeks and then I have not really bothered since as I haven't been out much and I think they're a lot of hassle when I am just sitting indoors.

I find them very scratchy. I know I have dry eyes anyway but the drops didn't help me. I do need to start wearing them for sports but I don't think I will use them everyday.
Sounds like the prescription is wrong, I'm -4.75 in glasses but I wear -4.25 lenses. Also you might need to try a few different types of lenses for dry eyes, did you have dailies? Make sure your hands are clean, sometimes I get little fibres from my hair/clothes on the lens just before I put it in and that feels scratchy. You can always hold it up to the light to check for any muck, sometimes I even get make up smudges on mine. They definitely shouldn't feel like there's something in your eye, I always forget mine are in!
Reply 6
This happened to me when I started wearing contacts; just as long as you wear them regularly at first, you'll get used to it. When you get headaches, just try closing your eyes for a bit, to relax.
Reply 7
My lenses are only -1.5 but I get similar to this.. I don't get a headache but my eyes water if I look at something close up for more than a few seconds. I've only just got them upped from -0.5 (which were fine).. will I get used to it or do I need to change lenses.
Reply 8
The best thing you can do is go back to the opticians. People on tsr can only give you advice, but your eyes are important and you should get another test. As it's a trial they should be happy to give you a different set in a prescription they think is more appropriate or a different brand/type.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by buzzer55
My lenses are only -1.5 but I get similar to this.. I don't get a headache but my eyes water if I look at something close up for more than a few seconds. I've only just got them upped from -0.5 (which were fine).. will I get used to it or do I need to change lenses.

Maybe you should try a bit weaker prescription, like -1.00 at first. It might not give you 100% vision at distance but will not irritate for up close.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
A lot of people have said the same thing, but the prescription may be wrong, especially if you've never experienced anything like this with your normal glasses. Opticians usually have a stock of the most common prescriptions (since it would be too expensive to supply every prescription possible) which they use for contact lense trials, and will give the prescription closest to your normal one. If you decide to get contacts, the real ones will be your proper prescription.
Reply 11

Original post by sarah_22_16

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your prescription is the same as your glasses then it will make you long-sighted which would make close up focussing hard - the prescription should be less powerful by 0.25 diopters. Also, when I had glasses I tended to look round them to focus on close things - with a single eye you shouldn't be able to focus perfectly on things less than 25cm with 20/20 vision. And if you are wearing daily lenses then they can dry out and be very uncomfortable much more easily than a lot of monthly soft lenses which are often more gas permeable so you may want to try switching if you plan to use contacts for a while. :smile:
Reply 12
You could maybe mention it to your optician, my best guess would be you have convergence insufficiency if near work is giving you headaches with contact lenses and not with glasses. The glasses give a little base in prism when you look up close (and your eyes turn in). I'm -4.00 R&L and I know my convergence isn't great and I have to work harder to keep things single and clear with my contacts compared to wearing glasses. I wouldn't go straight to undercorrecting you for distance though, that'd only be if you need reading specs and want to have distance and near clear.

Best person to contact would be the optician who fitted you with the contacts and explain what problems your having.

The lens fit might not be as tight as would be ideal (there's a limited range of base curves) so it could be moving a bit more than you'd want which can cause a foreign body sensation, but there may be reasons that the optom picked that lens to trial you on.
Original post by natninja
If your prescription is the same as your glasses then it will make you long-sighted which would make close up focussing hard - the prescription should be less powerful by 0.25 diopters. Also, when I had glasses I tended to look round them to focus on close things - with a single eye you shouldn't be able to focus perfectly on things less than 25cm with 20/20 vision. And if you are wearing daily lenses then they can dry out and be very uncomfortable much more easily than a lot of monthly soft lenses which are often more gas permeable so you may want to try switching if you plan to use contacts for a while. :smile:

I'm the same prescription for both glasses and lenses and don't have a problem - I have the silicone monthlies, which I've had for about 3 years now.

OP, I'd clarify with your optician about the strength if you're really struggling, and getting headaches. You may need them reducing in strength. It could just be a case of getting used to them though.
Reply 14
Hello,
well then you must have take lances in cheap cost...:colondollar:
sounds like you ve got the wrong material for your eyes and that you that you are possibly over corrected (too much power) - go back and ask to test some contact lenses from different companies that you can compare for comfort - there are lots of possibilities.

Quick Reply

Latest