The Student Room Group

My future might as well be screwed

I feel like I am not going to get anywhere in life if I don't figure out my future life anytime soon so I could use a bit of help. I am mostly a kind, social person. I like working with others as a team but there are times where I like to just work independently. I love helping others, I would go to extreme lengths just to help a person. I'm not squeamish at all, feet are an exception (I just can't look at feet at all) I am 16 at the moment going to sixth form and hopefully studying:

Biology

Philosophy & Theology (Religious Studies)

Psychology

Sociology

I was thinking of Occupational Therapy but I realised I don't want to study a course which is directed into one path only. Also I think I might want to go into Psychology but then again I don't want to study for years upon years the most I think ALL TOGETHER from the end of sixth form would be 5-6 years. So please help me if you can.
Thank you
Reply 1
University (3/4) + sixth from (2) = 5-6 years you know...

Go look for apprenticeships if you do not want to study beyond sixth form like in social care, kinda suits what you want
Reply 2
You've still got months to decide what degree you want to do - don't worry! You don't need to start an application until the start of Year 13. And it doesn't matter if you pick your degree with no idea what it'll lead to - just choose something you love. It might be worth talking to some of your teachers and maybe spending some time looking through prospectuses to see what kind of things are included in different degrees, but there's really no point worrying about it yet! Get settled into your A-levels first. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jkizer
University (3/4) + sixth from (2) = 5-6 years you know...

Go look for apprenticeships if you do not want to study beyond sixth form like in social care, kinda suits what you want

No I mean that I do want to study at University but no more than 5-6 years after I have left sixth form.
If it helps, I am 18 an I still don't know what to do.

I am just keeping my options open. I've applied to Uni for a course I think I may enjoy, and I am also applying to apprenticeships for things I may enjoy.

You can't force yourself to think of something you want to do, it will come with time. You only know what you enjoy by getting experiences of different things, so just keep your options open and you might find that in the next year you develop an interest in something you didn't think you would.
Reply 5
Original post by Renacata
You've still got months to decide what degree you want to do - don't worry! You don't need to start an application until the start of Year 13. And it doesn't matter if you pick your degree with no idea what it'll lead to - just choose something you love. It might be worth talking to some of your teachers and maybe spending some time looking through prospectuses to see what kind of things are included in different degrees, but there's really no point worrying about it yet! Get settled into your A-levels first. Good luck! :smile:

I don't know I feel like most of my friends and well my family who are in education have their future life planned out and I feel very unsettled not knowing what I want to be in the future. Thank you though for those kind words and yeah I'll do something that I love which is Psychology as I do it for GCSE. I just want to be sure where I'll go into afterwards you know?
Reply 6
Original post by Runninground
If it helps, I am 18 an I still don't know what to do.

I am just keeping my options open. I've applied to Uni for a course I think I may enjoy, and I am also applying to apprenticeships for things I may enjoy.

You can't force yourself to think of something you want to do, it will come with time. You only know what you enjoy by getting experiences of different things, so just keep your options open and you might find that in the next year you develop an interest in something you didn't think you would.

This did help a lot actually thank you! Hopefully I'll have something figured out, I don't know I'm that type of person who wants to work towards something and know what I'll do in the future but I hope it comes to me at least before I go into University
Reply 7
I wanted to do Psychology but the fact that you have to have a Masters and PHD to go for a lot of roles (which can take up to about ten years) really put me off. I'm going to study Speech and Language Therapy at University... your subjects could allow you to take that route? Just an idea, as I was in a similar situation to you!
The most important thing is not to rush your decision, whichever career you choose you'll be doing for the rest of your life - what's the rush?

I had two years our of education between college & university, but it was the two years I needed to get my head together and decide what I want to do with my life! Choose an open course if you're not sure of what it is exactly that you want to do - maybe a combined course that will give you two possible career options?

Don't let it stress you out, you're supposed to enjoy uni too :h:
Original post by jammy_dogers
This did help a lot actually thank you! Hopefully I'll have something figured out, I don't know I'm that type of person who wants to work towards something and know what I'll do in the future but I hope it comes to me at least before I go into University

I'm kinda the same. I want a clear career goal which I can work towards- Pick the right degree and stuff. I don't want to do a degree in Marketing (for example) only to find I hate working in the industry so I would feel like i've wasted years of my life!

Quick Reply

Latest