The Student Room Group

The Cancer Chat Thread- share and care :)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I know this is an old thread but I thought I would reply :smile: My mom is currently fighting small cell carcinoma in her bowel and lymph nodes :frown: I was just wondering to those of you who are, or have been, in a similar situation; how did you cope?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My dad was diagnosed with a form of blood cancer in december. He's going to go through chemo pretty soon and although I know he's going to pull through, i'm really scared about the effect its going to have on my family! I'm also going to uni in october so being away will only make me worry more.

Does anyone else feel awkward telling friends? I don't feel like there's anyone I can talk to about this. If one of my friends told me a parent had cancer I really wouldn't know what to say and so I don't want to make things awkward.
If your friends are good friends they should support you :smile: my best mate hasn't spoken to me since I told her about my mom.

Me and my family are just trying to carry on as normal, we still go out quite a lot, I think uni will help you take you mind off it :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
My dad was diagnosed with a form of blood cancer in december. He's going to go through chemo pretty soon and although I know he's going to pull through, i'm really scared about the effect its going to have on my family! I'm also going to uni in october so being away will only make me worry more.

Does anyone else feel awkward telling friends? I don't feel like there's anyone I can talk to about this. If one of my friends told me a parent had cancer I really wouldn't know what to say and so I don't want to make things awkward.

I agree with siobhancait, bottling it up won't help you very much. It's much better to talk about how you feel to friends and family, if they're good friends they'll support you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest