The Student Room Group

The pill, can I trust it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Depends if you take the red one or the blue one :biggrin:

But seriously yeah, so long as she makes sure to take it correctly.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, recently my girlfriend has started taking the pill. We're both clear of any sexually transmited infections, so that is not an issue. The issue at hand is how much can I trust the pill regarding pregenacy?

Recently we had sex and er, I kind of got caught up in the moment and forgot it was without a condom (didn't pull out) - I knew that she was on the pill...I just didn't contemplate how effective is this little tablet? (I was kind of pre-ocupied at the time :colondollar:) I really, REALLY don't want a child.

Anyone had positive / negative experiances with the pill? cheers.

The Carrot in the Canteen at Sixth Form was on this pill...but that did not stop her getting some carrotlings

NHS:

When taken correctly, the pill is over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. This means that fewer than one woman in 100 who use the combined pill as contraception will get pregnant in one year.

You need to take the pill every day for 21 days, then stop for seven days, and during this week you have a period-type bleed. You start taking the pill again after seven days.

You need to take the pill at the same time every day. You could get pregnant if you don't do this, or if you miss a pill, or vomit or have severe diarrhoea.

Original post by AngryAubergine

[*]When taken correctly, the pill is over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy. This means that fewer than one woman in 100 who use the combined pill as contraception will get pregnant in one year.

Even though it's only 1%, this statistic alone makes me use condoms as well as the pill. I take the pill 100% correctly but do not want to chance being that unlucky 1%!!
Original post by Anonymous
Even though it's only 1%, this statistic alone makes me use condoms as well as the pill. I take the pill 100% correctly but do not want to chance being that unlucky 1%!!

You just have to wait and see, I suppose we are all paranoid one way or another especially if it is a first time incident :smile:

Listen chin up enjoy your night have a late night comforting snack (preferably) no Aubergines and try no to worry, remember Condoms are less reliable an has any pregnancies happened via usage of condoms?

:smile:
If she's taking it properly, you shouldn't have a problem. If you are that worried about having a child, however, use a condom as well. I know it sucks, but you need to weigh your options:
Is it better to use a condom, or wind up with an accidental pregnancy?

Every couple is different and handle this situation differently. Personally, I'm on the pill and haven't used a condom in ages. However, I am with a guy who I truly believe I am going to marry, and if I happened to get pregnant, we would deal with it together. The chances are slim, but we've chosen to take the 2% risk.
Reply 25
I've been taking the pill myself for six months now and found it reliable enough for my boyfriend to not use condoms. You can trust the pill just as much as you trust condoms, or maybe even more, your girlfriend just have to remember to take it at the same time every day - I set an alarm.

About being asked if I take a pill, sometimes my boyfriend does asks me afterwards if I did, but I don't actually find it frustrating, it shows me that he cares and that potential pregnancy will affect him as well, ie. I know he will not leave me. So it just depends on a girl, but if she does gets annoyed, just explain to her why are you asking and that you care about her and are worried as much as she is, and you should be okay :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Don't listen to some people. According to netdoctor.co.uk the combined pill's failure rate is only 0.2% a year, if it's taken correctly. NHS will also tell you that it is over 99% effective, and less than one woman in 100 will get pregnant in a year. The mini pill has a failure rate of around 2-8%.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending