The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Mature podiatry student Sep 13.. Help!

Hi,

I will be 30 when I start the podiatry course in September. I am really scared but also excited. Just hope I am academic enough as not studied for few years. I have been anxiously browsing through old A & P books I have!

Anyone else starting this sep? What are your thoughts/feelings?

I have applied for the loans etc but still need to apply for my bursary.

would love to hear from other prospective students x

Scroll to see replies

Hi there I am a second year student at UEL studying podiatry. We currently have a class of approx. 40 and over half are mature students. Anatomy and physiology is a great start. The podiatry course is the best choice I have ever made, I am not a mature student yet never considered myself as academic. Somehow I am doing very well and I put that down to motivation and actually qualifying to become a good podiatrist and most of all I just love it!
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, thank you very much for your positive comments, you have really inspired me. I'm just goin to go for it.

Its the only thing I want to do so I will give it everything.

how many weeks do I put for attendance on the bursary?m

thanks x
Reply 3
Hi there i am 43 and starting sept just finishing my access science and medicine at LCC....really excited but so much to do....just applied for bursary this wk...how u getting on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Its 45 weeks for bursary i checked the other day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Shellby, i have just joined the student room and came across your post.
I am starting an access course in September and then i will be applying to uni for the podiatry degree in 2014. I am 34 with 3 children so i am very nervous about returning to study. I keep doubting myself and thinking i wont be clever enough to do it. Its something i have always had an interest in and i am really looking forward to the journey ahead. I would love you to keep intouch and let us no how your getting on.
Good luck for September xxxx
Reply 6
Hi there 'auntysazzles' hope you got my message. Please dont doubt your ability as i too have three children and i was exactly the same when i started my access course. Its only when you see yourself getting good results that you realise your ability and as hard as it is its all so exciting. Each month is a journey and you all pull together and help each other achieve results so look forward to it and good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi Aunt Saz, it's so reassuring to know there's people in the same boat as me. You will be fine. It's only natural to be afraid of the unknown. I think the word university is daunting in its self! Nobody in my family has been apart from my younger sister who is completing her final year in children's nursing and if it wasnt for her encouragement I don't think I would be going to be honest. She has really reassured me and inspired me and she's only 23! She will be my mentor throughout my studies, I am sooo lucky to have her!
Of course I will keep in touch. I will post a regular update of what I'm studying and how I'm feeling an I'm sure I will be asking for help!! So nervous but so excited too, I can't wait.. Roll on September!!

best wishes and best of luck to you all xx
JO111 and Shellby29, i am so glad i found you both. Your words of encouragement are just what i needed. I am interested in how you both get on in your courses so please keep me informed.
Good luck xxx
Reply 9
Of course i will.....just happy to help as we all on the same journey :-) 🎓

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there!

I will be almost 32 when I start this September. I feel very out of touch with the whole academic side of things but I'm passionate about the subject and look forward to giving it all I've got!

I'm actually going to Huddersfield not salford, assuming my CRB ever comes back!
I applied for my student loan ages ago, and checked the bursary website today to find my offer and breakdown of support. I sent my docs last week so quite pleased :smile:

I was scared about the application, the interview, applying for finances etc, but ive tackled them all and can hardly believe I've made this happen xxx

has anyone else had crb checks back yet? I handed forms in at my interview in january so it seems a very long time?

wishing you luck, Shelley xxx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Shellby29
Hi,

I will be 30 when I start the podiatry course in September. I am really scared but also excited. Just hope I am academic enough as not studied for few years. I have been anxiously browsing through old A & P books I have!

Anyone else starting this sep? What are your thoughts/feelings?

I have applied for the loans etc but still need to apply for my bursary.

would love to hear from other prospective students x

Hello,

I am 52 and will be starting the Prosthetics and Orthotics course at Salford this September. I think P & O and podiatry students are taught together for some subjects (certain amount of cross over), so chances are we will meet at some point!

I am in the process of applying for a bursary, not sure what I will get as I already have a degree. I am both nervous and excited. I'm sure students will be able to share skills and help one another :smile:
Reply 12
Hi all makes it not seem as daunting knowing we are all feeling the same!
Waiting to hear back re my bursary so hopefully that will be good news.
Just want to get started now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi, I'm starting the podiatry course in September, it will be my first year. Does anyone know how many days a week it is and what days/hours? Just trying to sort out a part time job : ) what jobs does everyone else do?

cheers x
Reply 14
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how many days a week it is and what days/hours? For podiatry first year starting this sept.

Trying to sort a part time job out : )

I'm thinking cleaning, caring, shops and call centre, what will everybody else be doing?

cheers x
Reply 15
Hi again,
Apar it is mon and tues in lectures and thurs or fri inclinic depending which group we are in, hope this helps...did you say you are going to salford? Sorry cabt remeber if you going this yr or next? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hi Jo,
I'm coming this year and going to Salford. Are you starting too at Salford doin podiatry? X
Hi Everyone,

It's great that you have managed to chat with each other and find reassurance.

I see that some of you are perhaps returning to study so thought I would direct you these pages as they may help with things like study skills etc. throughout your time at Salford: http://www.advice.salford.ac.uk/page/returning_to_study

I'm an official rep from the University of Salford and just wanted to introduce myself really - if you have any questions feel free to send them my way!

Best of luck with your future studies,
Amy
Reply 18
Hi Jo,I put 45 weeks as extra weeks on the bursary but they've calculated it and it doesn't look right, they've awarded £164 for extra weeks, my total is £3755, does this sound right to you? They asked me to send last 3 years p60's where I earned no more than £21,000 each year for last three years but this included overtime. Plus I wont be working whilst at uni and I have to live off this and pay rent and bills so its just frustrating as I was expecting more, grrr. Does it sound about right to you? Is there any way of getting more? cheers, any help appreciated xxxx
Reply 19
Hi there!
So sorry i forgot you are starting this september! I think i was amidst exams when i last messaged you! Looking forward to meeting you.
If i where you i would ring them and ask them to talk you through it as am sure mistakes can be made due to the way the questions are asked....i filled mine out wrong twice!
Let me no how you get on x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending