The Student Room Group

RAF and Peak flow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Some people have a wider trachea than others. It doesn't mean you are medically unfit, it could be that due to a wide diameter you just can't exhale with such force as your tube is wider than normal.

A way to improve your score could be to try the following. Breathe in fully, put your tongue on the mouth piece opening (mouth covering the end) and when you blow, quickly remove your tongue from the mouthpiece. This method builds pressure up in your mouth and as you move your tongue quickly away then the pressure releases rapidly. Try it a few times and get better at timing the blow > pressure in your mouth > simultaneously removing tongue off the mouthpiece. Good luck.
Reply 21
So, if my predicted score was 420 and I was getting 380, I'd still pass the 80% mark?
I'm exceptionally fit; spending 2-3 hours of phys (mainly cardio) every day, never short of breath or have any asthmatic symptoms just have a very small frame/figure.
Reply 22
That's interesting as I'm 16 year old male height of 179cm and been told I need to give a reading of 712 to join the Navy...do you think the doctor has made a mistake and miss typed as the NHS scale says the average is 532??

Quick Reply

Latest