The Student Room Group

How do Let my guard down?

I'm so uptight sometimes. I'm a quite blunt person which gets misinterpreted as being rude. I'm not one of those people that will point out something about someone without a second thought. I know how to curb my bluntness. I sometimes can scare guys away, I know I'm not the most approachable person. I can't flirt to save my life and I often reply with something sarcastic if in a awkward situation. Only a few guys have managed to the point where they get my number and we go on dates- not recently. I have my guard up ALL the time. I wanna have fun, Go on some dates and potentially meet someone. Why not? There is a guy I've just met, I haven't spoken to him properly as yet. How do I RELAX??? Let my guard down???
Alcohol.
Reply 2
Alcohol?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm so uptight sometimes. I'm a quite blunt person which gets misinterpreted as being rude. I'm not one of those people that will point out something about someone without a second thought. I know how to curb my bluntness. I sometimes can scare guys away, I know I'm not the most approachable person. I can't flirt to save my life and I often reply with something sarcastic if in a awkward situation. Only a few guys have managed to the point where they get my number and we go on dates- not recently. I have my guard up ALL the time. I wanna have fun, Go on some dates and potentially meet someone. Why not? There is a guy I've just met, I haven't spoken to him properly as yet. How do I RELAX??? Let my guard down???

Wahayy! Apparently there's loads of us like this. Join the club sister!
No but really, you just described me. The sarcasm in an awkward situation? Totally me

If you do find out how to let your guard down, please let me know :frown: I've been trying for a while
Reply 4
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Alcohol.

Bad idea.
Reply 5
Alcohol.

See now alcohol is fantastic. But I'm so uptight, that I stop drinking once I start to feel tipsy :frown: lmao I'm such a fail!
Original post by dada55
Bad idea.

Only if you can't handle it, a few pints is great for loosening up
Reply 7
Only if you can't handle it, a few pints is great for loosening up

Read my first post just after your first and you will see what I meant.

To OP: Drink something stronger that will skip the "tipsy" state. It works.
Original post by dada55
Read my first post just after your first and you will see what I meant.

To OP: Drink something stronger that will skip the "tipsy" state. It works.

Ahh, I see. Great minds and all that
Reply 9
Original post by Le Debbie
Wahayy! Apparently there's loads of us like this. Join the club sister!
No but really, you just described me. The sarcasm in an awkward situation? Totally me

If you do find out how to let your guard down, please let me know :frown: I've been trying for a while

Well based on the replies I'm getting I doubt I will find a solution! -_-
Nice to know I'm not alone though!

You don't really have to change yourself - it's fine if you're a bit blunt and all that.

But if you really want to change who you are, then you could try putting yourself in situations where you meet more new people and try to act differently to how you normally would.

Try volunteering, for example. You could meet a lot of people, develop a personality you like and help people at the same time. Win win win.
Reply 11

Don't worry about it really *shrugs* if the guy is worth his salt, he'll get to know you better regardless of the little situation with guards and what not

I can relate to this. I think it may be somewhat of a defensive mechanism, but I can't say for certain. The only solution I can currently think of is the 'Fake it till you make it' approach. Albeit, it may be temporary, which isn't exactly promising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending