The Student Room Group

Missing offer due to extenuating circumstances

Hi,
i am about to sit my A Level Results in a few weeks, however I am pretty certain I'm going to miss my conditions, as I feel I will get a B in geography whereas I need an A.

does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

basically a family situation (illness) has caused me to miss an extensive amount of school. My school are aware of this... Do you think I should notify my college about this? Or will it look like I am trying to make excuses early? All mt other subjects I was able to catch up in- but I just found geography really hard to make up the work and I feel I failed my coursework, meaning i could only get a B in the exam, worst case scenario.

Thanks for the help!
p
Hi,
I missed my offer to my first choice. My last year was really tough for me. I didn't contact them and I also ended getting a B. I called them on results day hoping for a transfer to another course but they stated that they had deliberated over the decision so many times. I've always wondered if it would have made a difference if I had contacted them in advance.
Speak to your sixth form/college about it, before going ahead. Some have deadlines as well. Best of luck.

P.S. My second choice uni is amazing. Whatever happens, don't dwell on the past. There is always post-grad. I know its Cambridge, but there are lots of other amazing universities as well. I'm quite glad that I was given the opportunity to find one!
Reply 2
I don't want it to seem like I'm making excuses :/
Its definitely worth contacting them and making them aware of your circumstances in advance. You could walk out with an 'A', you never know, but if you do walk out with that 'B' at least they know you made them aware of this problem before the exam, rather than trying to explain yourself on results day.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by hogwartian1993
Its definitely worth contacting them and making them aware of your circumstances in advance. You could walk out with an 'A', you never know, but if you do walk out with that 'B' at least they know you made them aware of this problem before the exam, rather than trying to explain yourself on results day.

Good luck!

Thank you for your advice :smile: do you think I'd still stand a chance of being accepted anyway? I just don't want it to come across as "I think I messed up my exam so here's an excuse"
Original post by Equanimitous
Thank you for your advice :smile: do you think I'd still stand a chance of being accepted anyway? I just don't want it to come across as "I think I messed up my exam so here's an excuse"

I can't say - I applied to Cambridge and got an unconditional offer during my gap year with extenuating circumstances, but I had A*A*A; honestly, just ring them and discuss it. They're really lovely. And regarding the 'I think I messed up in my exam' - just tell them now. Its better saying it now, than getting to results day and not getting the grade and trying to explain yourself then. What degree course is your offer for? If the exam you think you'll miss the A in isn't overly related to the degree you have your offer for that might help... but like I say, I'm not in a position to tell you if they'll still let you in - it just depends who else is in the summer pool (say if a candidate like you got A*AA when their offer was A*A*A, you could be up against them for a place). Just give them a ring and discuss it is my advice at the moment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi,
i am about to sit my A Level Results in a few weeks, however I am pretty certain I'm going to miss my conditions, as I feel I will get a B in geography whereas I need an A.

does anyone have any experience with this type of situation?

basically a family situation (illness) has caused me to miss an extensive amount of school. My school are aware of this... Do you think I should notify my college about this? Or will it look like I am trying to make excuses early? All mt other subjects I was able to catch up in- but I just found geography really hard to make up the work and I feel I failed my coursework, meaning i could only get a B in the exam, worst case scenario.

Thanks for the help!
p

Definitely, definitely, definitely contact your college. They can't make allowances for what they don't know about, and missing a significant amount of school due to a family situation is definitely under "extenuating circumstances" rather than "making excuses". You might want to consider asking your school to do the same, though I'm not sure how that would work in Data Protection terms.
Reply 7
Original post by lp386
Definitely, definitely, definitely contact your college. They can't make allowances for what they don't know about, and missing a significant amount of school due to a family situation is definitely under "extenuating circumstances" rather than "making excuses". You might want to consider asking your school to do the same, though I'm not sure how that would work in Data Protection terms.

Thanks for the advice :smile: do you think it still counts if most of the took place in November - march? The treatment was successful after that, and the uni could say i had two months to fix it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for the advice :smile: do you think it still counts if most of the took place in November - march? The treatment was successful after that, and the uni could say i had two months to fix it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

The worst they can do is say no, but I'd say missing a lot of school for four months of your AS year would be a pretty significant extenuating circumstance, and you've got your other subjects up to scratch...
Reply 9
Original post by lp386
The worst they can do is say no, but I'd say missing a lot of school for four months of your AS year would be a pretty significant extenuating circumstance, and you've got your other subjects up to scratch...

It sounds like the OP is in their A2 year :tongue:

If so - contact your college ASAP. They should be fairly accommodating :tongue:
Original post by wibletg

Sounds like this guy is a gal too :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by The Polymath
Sounds like this guy is a gal too :tongue:

ninja edit :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
ninja edit :tongue:

:colonhash: Close enough..
Reply 13
Original post by wibletg

Quite correct, well spotted. *checks to see if S and 2 buttons are close enough together for plausible deniability...*
Reply 14

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending