The Student Room Group

Where can I volunteer?

I'm 16, just doing my first year if A levels and I don't have a job or any hobbies so i think I need to do something to put on application forms etc ^.^ I literally have no confidence so I think volunteering would be good for experience as well :smile: does anyone know where I could volunteer in the UK? Also can you volunteer with friends? I am looking for something in the summer holidays or maybe regularly at the weekend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hospitals and homes for th elderly are good for gaining confidence with people and they are always grateful for more help :smile:
Reply 2
You might have a hard time finding a place to volunteer at the weekends. I personally was able to volunteer with a hospital but I had to fit it around my studies one day a week (for 3-4 hours not the whole day).

Good luck.

(Oh, tiny tip, when you go for an interview you have to show you're confident even if you're not. That's what they're looking for. It wouldn't do you any good saying you're doing it because it would give you confidence. It will. Trust me. But in the interview you have to show you're confident and ready to help out.)

Also smile a lot!

That's the only 'type' of volunteering I'm familiar with but I know there's many more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RBRo
You might have a hard time finding a place to volunteer at the weekends. I personally was able to volunteer with a hospital but I had to fit it around my studies one day a week (for 3-4 hours not the whole day).

Good luck.

(Oh, tiny tip, when you go for an interview you have to show you're confident even if you're not. That's what they're looking for. It wouldn't do you any good saying you're doing it because it would give you confidence. It will. Trust me. But in the interview you have to show you're confident and ready to help out.)

Also smile a lot!

That's the only 'type' of volunteering I'm familiar with but I know there's many more.

Thanks :smile: is that your local hospital? And what sort of work do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by yellow0
Thanks :smile: is that your local hospital? And what sort of work do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I applied online. Basically just talking to patients, making tea and coffee, clearing up the waiting area, getting tea and coffee to the nurses and doctors. Things like that.

In another section of the hospital I had to hand out patient surveys to those who are about to leave the hospital. Though I did this one for a shorter period of time.
Reply 6
Original post by RBRo
Yeah, I applied online. Basically just talking to patients, making tea and coffee, clearing up the waiting area, getting tea and coffee to the nurses and doctors. Things like that.

In another section of the hospital I had to hand out patient surveys to those who are about to leave the hospital. Though I did this one for a shorter period of time.

Ahh I see :smile: I found a vacancy in Barnardos so I might apply :smile: do you think I could ask to do 3 hours on a Saturday/Sunday? Or would that make me more of a hindrance? ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
No of course you can ask, but if they say it's difficult just say it doesn't matter and that it was just for preference's sake and that you don't mind if it's during the week when you have a spare evening or something.
You might get lucky, but otherwise I'm sure they're used to students and would be willing to accommodate you any day of the week.
Reply 8
Original post by RBRo
No of course you can ask, but if they say it's difficult just say it doesn't matter and that it was just for preference's sake and that you don't mind if it's during the week when you have a spare evening or something.
You might get lucky, but otherwise I'm sure they're used to students and would be willing to accommodate you any day of the week.

Awesome, thanks for the help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yellow0
Ahh I see :smile: I found a vacancy in Barnardos so I might apply :smile: do you think I could ask to do 3 hours on a Saturday/Sunday? Or would that make me more of a hindrance? ^.^

Posted from TSR Mobile

I volunteer with Banardos actually and they really appreciate the help. I know quite a few people who come in for an hour here and an hour there so it doesn't matter which hours you do. They're also a really well-known charity so it's great experience. You honestly end up doing a different thing every time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by WheresPebbles
I volunteer with Banardos actually and they really appreciate the help. I know quite a few people who come in for an hour here and an hour there so it doesn't matter which hours you do. They're also a really well-known charity so it's great experience. You honestly end up doing a different thing every time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, yeah I think it will be a good opportunity to get some experience :smile: do you do regular work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hi. I'm a cadet corporal at St. John ambulance. We are always looking for new volunteers to join us. It's a really close community and you will have lots of fun. You will meet one weeknight per week for about 2 hours then will get to go on duty to events like the marathon football games etc. I was lucky enough to work everyday at the Olympic Games. Visit the Sja.org website to find your nearest division.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yellow0
Thanks, yeah I think it will be a good opportunity to get some experience :smile: do you do regular work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm only volunteering at the moment because of my a levels. I don't know how everyone else balances work and school. Luckily, Banardos are really flexible with their rotas, so it doesn't matter too much if I need to skip a week because of exams or whatever. Unfortunately, that means I'm constantly broke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Local charity stores are always a good place to go:smile: The larger ones will have more places:smile: Like Sue Ryder, oxfam etc:smile:
Reply 14
Thanks everyone :biggrin: you have been helpful :smile: I am gonna go and ask in Barnardos after my exams an try to do some work over the summer there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yellow0
I'm 16, just doing my first year if A levels and I don't have a job or any hobbies so i think I need to do something to put on application forms etc ^.^ I literally have no confidence so I think volunteering would be good for experience as well :smile: does anyone know where I could volunteer in the UK? Also can you volunteer with friends? I am looking for something in the summer holidays or maybe regularly at the weekend :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about volunteering with rainbows/brownies/guides. That would be one evening a week for a couple of hours. Ive been a leader at brownies for over 6 years and love it.
You could also volunteer at your local charity shop.
Reply 16
I'm trying so hard to get a volunteer vacancy, but they all say over 18s only :/
Reply 17
Original post by mollyx
I'm trying so hard to get a volunteer vacancy, but they all say over 18s only :/

As far as I know most charity shops are alright with anyone under 18, they might not let you on the till I guess, but there's always stock to be processed :tongue:

OP - charity shops are pretty much always looking for volunteers, it is a lot of fun :biggrin: And given that it's summer a lot of the uni students will be heading back home (seriously, I volunteer at Save The Children, we used to have about five/six people in every day, I'm often in on my own now!) And they're not too fussed about what hours you can do and when, any time at all is helpful :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by twinlensreflex
As far as I know most charity shops are alright with anyone under 18, they might not let you on the till I guess, but there's always stock to be processed :tongue:

OP - charity shops are pretty much always looking for volunteers, it is a lot of fun :biggrin: And given that it's summer a lot of the uni students will be heading back home (seriously, I volunteer at Save The Children, we used to have about five/six people in every day, I'm often in on my own now!) And they're not too fussed about what hours you can do and when, any time at all is helpful :biggrin:

Aww okay! i might volunteer there then :smile:
Reply 19
also, is there any other places that take under 18s??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending