The Student Room Group

Unfair driving test fail?

Hi guys. Basically I had my second driving test today and failed. I only got three minors but...

I got one major which is debatable. I was turning right at a roundabout and I was at the front of the queue. To my left in the left hand lane was a police car with its sirens on, so I witnessed all of the cars in the left hand lane move over for the police car. The next thing I know I am looking in my mirror and there are cars beeping me. I am unsure why they are beeping me so I ignore it. Then I see an ambulance trying to weave its way through the middle and my lane and I am blocking its way, so I spin my wheel to the right to let it through. My car literally moves a millimeter forward to the right but enough to let him through. Anyway before I know it the examiner is shouting 'STOP!' as he thinks I'm moving off even though there is a van going round the roundabout! I said to him 'No I wasn't going to go, I was moving out of the way for the ambulance!' and he said 'I wasn't to know that, but I have to fail you as I had to intervene'. I am gutted

I asked him if I had failed when we was driving back and he said yes, and he also said we will go straight back to the test centre as he could see how upset I was. I genuinely think he felt bad because he said to me 'You was driving excellently before and I am sorry'. My instructor was fuming and said to me that I probably would have been failed for NOT moving out of the way as I would have caused the ambulance to slow down :confused:

Any ideas whether I should have moved or stayed? I didn't pull out onto the roundabout or anything by the way, I literally just moved slightly forward but not enough to stop oncoming traffic. Thanks for your replies!

Scroll to see replies

Guy sounds like an idiot.

I passed first time, but during training the examiner tried to touch the steering wheel and pedals and I just said don't you dare, I know what I'm doing.
^ wtf is training? Lol.

I know someone will come on this thread and say "the examiner was just doing what he thought was safe/appropriate".

But that doesn't fly by me, he should use his common sense and realise you were just trying to give the emergency vehicle extra room so as not to obstruct them while keeping the car safe. Anyone in that situation that didn't realise what you were doing is a straight up retarded goof by default.

At least you'll have a good story to tell, "I once had a driving test with a retard pretending to be an examiner...." :lol:
You sound like a brilliant driver, I guess you just had a bad day with those Police cars and ambulances
Original post by emmatays
I was turning right at a roundabout and I was at the front of the queue. To my left in the left hand lane was a police car with its sirens on, so I witnessed all of the cars in the left hand lane move over for the police car. The next thing I know I am looking in my mirror and there are cars beeping me. I am unsure why they are beeping me so I ignore it. Then I see an ambulance trying to weave its way through the middle and my lane and I am blocking its way, so I spin my wheel to the right to let it through. My car literally moves a millimeter forward to the right but enough to let him through. Anyway before I know it the examiner is shouting 'STOP!' as he thinks I'm moving off even though there is a van going round the roundabout! I said to him 'No I wasn't going to go, I was moving out of the way for the ambulance!' and he said 'I wasn't to know that, but I have to fail you as I had to intervene'. I am gutted

Bad luck on the result of your test.

Can I clarify a few things? You say you moved literally a millimetre forward and that allowed you to make room for the ambulance. If it was literally a millimetre, the effect on traffic behind would be nothing, therefore not helping the ambulance at all. If it was more than a millimetre, how far was it? How controlled was your movement forward? Were the sirens on on either the police car or the ambulance? What was the police car doing at this time? Was it trying to move onto the roundabout or was it also stuck in the traffic?

I would like to understand what happened so I can give some helpful advice. Answers to the above would help me to do so.
Reply 5
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Bad luck on the result of your test.

Can I clarify a few things? You say you moved literally a millimetre forward and that allowed you to make room for the ambulance. If it was literally a millimetre, the effect on traffic behind would be nothing, therefore not helping the ambulance at all. If it was more than a millimetre, how far was it? How controlled was your movement forward? Were the sirens on on either the police car or the ambulance? What was the police car doing at this time? Was it trying to move onto the roundabout or was it also stuck in the traffic?

I would like to understand what happened so I can give some helpful advice. Answers to the above would help me to do so.

Hi thanks for the reply. I am not really sure how far forward I moved, it wasn't a lot at all, just enough to let him through, but not enough to cause an obstruction on the roundabout. It didn't effect anyone going round the roundabout, my nose of the car wasn't sticking out, etc. I had complete control of the car moving forward, it didn't jump or bring the clutch up too quickly. The sirens were on both vehicles and the police car had already moved off before the ambulance arrived and I take it the ambulance went straight away after it had got past me but tbh I wasn't looking I was too upset after it all happened.

Hope that's enough info for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
That's really unfortunate.

I'm not sure how useful this would be. but one thing you can do for your next practical test is to inform the instructor of what you're about to do. During my exam when there was situations that could have resulted in an alternative decision, such as overtaking a bus. I just said, I can't really see behind the bus and further down the road so I don't really think I should over take in this situation.

I think if I was in a scenario similar to the one described in your situation, I might say something along the lines of, I'm just going to budge forward a little or creep forward a little to make some space.
Reply 7
This is where saying something before you do it can help a lot because the examiner is not a mind reader

The problem is that many learners think the examiner is not a human so are afraid to say anything

That said, I think the examiner is a numpty in this case
Reply 8
Thank you both for your replies. I really wish I spoke! It's true when you say you feel the examiner isn't a human, especially when your so nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
That's incredibly unfortunate. His reasoning "I had to intervene" isn't even true because there was (from what you said) no evidence that you were actually going to cause an accident and move onto the roundabout. It's a given that when sirens are approaching you need to move out the way, so...

That said, it's possible you moved a lot further out than you remember. Things all happen very quickly.
Reply 10
i hated my examiner today.he was really unfair.i failed today with 2minors and 1 serious fault :frown: when going back to test centre i was so confident that i have passed it but that idiot goes to me once u didnt look on right when coming onto main road from side road so ur failed.i cant just believed him its impossible that i didnt check on my right before coming on main road.if he was sleeping and woke up late then not my fault.he probably didnt see me looking.I am so good my observations even my instructor say that.i might miss somewhere on small roads (which is less likely) but for God sake not on main road.they just need an excuse to fail u and obviously u cant bloody argue with them or prove that u did had a look or glimse.so disappointed.im 6months pregnant and how important it was for me to pass.they dont realise just make money!!! and put ur morale down :frown:
Reply 11
Just goes to show that some simple comments can be useful such as - clear right - clear left
Reply 12
Sorry hon. I know it is bad, but all you can do is resit the test again. You'll pass next time, you'll see. :smile:
Reply 13
I am angry after reading this. I hate nothing more than a jobsworth and the fact that you explained why you moved (as if it needed explaining) makes this even worse.

'I wasn't to know that.' I would argue he isn't fit to be an examiner if he hasn't realised there was an ambulance behind you. Your explanation for moving should have been more than sufficient, but it sounds to me like he just didn't want to admit he made a mistake.

It seems you were in a lose/lose situation and it's exceptionally unfair.
Reply 14
Sounds like an unfortunate situation.
I was lucky my instructor was so laid back and was looking out the window for most of it.
Reply 15
Original post by ROG.
Just goes to show that some simple comments can be useful such as - clear right - clear left
Only if the comments are a true reflection of what is actually observed, not just repeated parrot-fashion. I still smile when I remember the candidate who made such grossly exaggerated checks through every window in the car when moving away from the roadside, all the while saying "clear, clear, clear, clear, clear, clear, clear.. " like a stuck record.... then promptly pulled out into the path of a passing car :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Thank you everyone for your support! I have my next get in a few weeks, to be honest I have lost most confidence in myself and I'm going into it with a 'If I fail I fail' attitude. I just want it over and done now! Lets hope there's no ambulances next time, eh?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
you know what emma, just move on and forget it. if you keep thinking about past tests, it will be in your head when it comes to the next one. wipe the slate clean and stay calm, imagining its ur instructor next to you on the test and you'll pass it with flying colours. after reading this, you clearly sound like a fantastic driver and you were just unlucky to be faced with something you have not practised and not experienced with. best of luck with your next test and let me know how it goes x
Original post by Advisor
Only if the comments are a true reflection of what is actually observed, not just repeated parrot-fashion. I still smile when I remember the candidate who made such grossly exaggerated checks through every window in the car when moving away from the roadside, all the while saying "clear, clear, clear, clear, clear, clear, clear.. " like a stuck record.... then promptly pulled out into the path of a passing car :rolleyes:

Did he pass or fail?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lemongrass
His reasoning "I had to intervene" isn't even true because there was (from what you said) no evidence that you were actually going to cause an accident and move onto the roundabout.

Original post by Ice Constricter

But that doesn't fly by me, he should use his common sense and realise you were just trying to give the emergency vehicle extra room so as not to obstruct them while keeping the car safe. Anyone in that situation that didn't realise what you were doing is a straight up retarded goof by default.

The examiner may well not have known about the ambulance behind. The driver looked in the mirror but the examiner may not have, especially as he was distracted by the police car situation. If the manoeuvre to leave room for the ambulance involved any movement forward at all towards or onto the roundabout it is likely to have caused alarm to the driver of the car on the roundabout, just as it did to the examiner. His actions seem reasonable to me, though it is unfortunate to have such an occurrence on a test.

Latest

Trending

Trending