The Student Room Group

Is AAA better than AAAE?

When applying to a University, would it be better to have AAA in Maths, Chemistry, and Biology in AS levels, or AAAE or possibly AAAD with a photography AS as well?
If I withdrew from the exam, would only taking 3 as levels look bad on an application form? Thank you - any advice would be much apprciated.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
more ucas points=better duh
Reply 2
3 A levels is all you need, better not to make them look worse by pairing them with a bad grade.
Reply 3
You definitely want to drop photography, if you can get those A's in hard subjects like that a poor photography grade would just taint your otherwise good name !
Reply 4
Original post by Andy_J
3 A levels is all you need, better not to make them look worse by pairing them with a bad grade.

Thanks- do you know if it would be worse to show that you had dropped out of an as level, or not taken one though?
Depends on which uni and which course. Some courses/uni's may require a pass in a 4th AS level.
Reply 6
If (touch wood!) I got predicted A*AA next year, or something similar, could you apply to Cambridge or St Andrews with just 3 as levels?
Reply 7
So whats the actual answers here ... for example if I was to apply to cambridge would they see AAAD lower as AAA
Original post by iOFWGKTA
So whats the actual answers here ... for example if I was to apply to cambridge would they see AAAD lower as AAA

I'm not sure but I'd suggest emailing Admissions to ask them so you know for sure :smile:
2bh its the same, as most people with the E just wouldn't mention it as there would be no point. At the top unis a E at as level isn;'t really going to help your application in any way. It won't necessarily hinder it as long as you got 3 good A levels, but it almost certainly wont help.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by sadpanda123
I'm not sure but I'd suggest emailing Admissions to ask them so you know for sure :smile:

I honestly don't think Cambridge would care about the grade you get in photography. They were incredibly apathetic and disinterested in my art grade (even though it was high A) and therefore, good result or bad result, I seriously doubt they would even look at it ! So don't fret :smile:
Original post by smd4std
more ucas points=better duh

depends on how the offer is phrased

" n UCAS points from 3 A levels " is legitimate

" n UCAS points from 3 A levels with X grade in <subject> " is legit

as is " n UCAS points from < whatever other award > with p Merits / distinctions in < modules>

where n and p are numbers
Reply 13
Thanks- :smile: but surely they would pick up on any grade, even if in photography, that was as bad as an e?
I got offers from five (top) universities and I had AAAU. I didn't drop the fourth subject and technically sat the exams, so I had to declare it. Obviously I can't speak for every uni but so long as it isn't particularly relevant to your course I think it'd be fine.
Reply 15
rather have AAAE because some unis require a pass in a fourth subject lol
If you drop out then you don't have to declare it on your UCAS, in my school half my class did that for critical thinking after getting poor January grades as it would look bad next to their other good grades. You'd just have to do a bit of research on what your preferred Uni and course wants, but I'd say drop it :smile:
Original post by owl 1996
If (touch wood!) I got predicted A*AA next year, or something similar, could you apply to Cambridge or St Andrews with just 3 as levels?

I'd be surprised to be honest... a lot of top places want a good AS level (and A or B if possible, although a C could potentially be frowned upon). Is there anyway you can try and get your AS grade up to a C instead of an E, it would make a world of difference.

Original post by PeanutButter2000
If you drop out then you don't have to declare it on your UCAS, in my school half my class did that for critical thinking after getting poor January grades as it would look bad next to their other good grades. You'd just have to do a bit of research on what your preferred Uni and course wants, but I'd say drop it :smile:

In a nutshell, Critical Thinking isn't really a suitable A Level... or at least one I'd be happy to put as a fourth AS. (I would know, I'm doing it and it is a waste of time :P ) Normally it's done as extra too... whereas OP is considering dropping an actually needed AS.
(edited 10 years ago)
Any decent admissions tutor, especially from somewhere like Cambridge, would look at an application with only 3 AS's and know that in all likelihood the student had dropped a subject along the way. They might well then start wondering what and why...
Reply 19
Original post by ageshallnot
Any decent admissions tutor, especially from somewhere like Cambridge, would look at an application with only 3 AS's and know that in all likelihood the student had dropped a subject along the way. They might well then start wondering what and why...

Would it be better to declare it then? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending