The Student Room Group

Which degree would be 'suitable' for the A-Levels I currently take?

I currently do English Literature, German, History, and Politics (AS) and am in Year 12/ Lower 6th- rapidly approaching the decision stage of universities. :s-smilie:

I have a rough idea of what I want to do- something along the lines of History & International Relations, Politics, or Sociology. But do these degrees 'fit in' to the A-levels I currently take? What other degrees could I do that are related to my current A-levels. Business Management appears interesting BUT i'm put off by it due to its widely held reputation as a 'soft subject'.

I know that I should 'do what really interests me', but not all of us, including I, know. So what other degrees could I take with my A-level subjects?

Reply 1
Search around. I didn't know what I wanted to do for a degree until I looked at the all the possible degrees, what they entailed and what sort of jobs they could lead to. Now I know, and I'm working toward it.
Reply 2
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Search around. I didn't know what I wanted to do for a degree until I looked at the all the possible degrees, what they entailed and what sort of jobs they could lead to. Now I know, and I'm working toward it.

But how can I find this out?
Reply 3
Law?
Scan through a few university prospectuses and look at the required/ desired A level subjects to get more of an idea of what degree to take, How about looking into Law, linguistics, Business Studies/ Management, etc? I would say that the A levels you are doing seem to fit the required subjects for the degrees you are interested in, you just need to do a bit more university-specific research to decide whether you do perfectly match the entrance requirements, need to take another subject next year/ relevant EPQ, or cannot apply to study that particular degree. Look through the course content for a few of the universities you are particularly interested in and see if the modules appeal to you. Also think about what other things you want from your degree - look at the percentage of graduates in employment, the average graduate salary, opportunities to do internships/ years abroad, what kind of jobs the graduates get etc. All this information should be available on the university website.
Reply 5
Original post by Thomas_96
I currently do English Literature, German, History, and Politics (AS) and am in Year 12/ Lower 6th- rapidly approaching the decision stage of universities. :s-smilie:

I have a rough idea of what I want to do- something along the lines of History & International Relations, Politics, or Sociology. But do these degrees 'fit in' to the A-levels I currently take? What other degrees could I do that are related to my current A-levels. Business Management appears interesting BUT i'm put off by it due to its widely held reputation as a 'soft subject'.

I know that I should 'do what really interests me', but not all of us, including I, know. So what other degrees could I take with my A-level subjects?

If you feel Politics is something you may wish to do at University, why have you dropped it? That would look very strange if you applied for Politics, or even things like IR, at university.

On a broader note, have you read around the subjects you've been studying? This may give you some sort of indication as to what you enjoy and, therefore, what you could study at university?
Reply 6
Original post by Stanners95
If you feel Politics is something you may wish to do at University, why have you dropped it? That would look very strange if you applied for Politics, or even things like IR, at university.

On a broader note, have you read around the subjects you've been studying? This may give you some sort of indication as to what you enjoy and, therefore, what you could study at university?

I initially only took it for AS, school doesn't offer A2 course.
Reply 7
But how can I find this out?

Some universities will have a section on their course pages as to what sort of jobs that degree can lead to. If not, just google it.
Reply 8
I initially only took it for AS, school doesn't offer A2 course.

I'd just make sure your referee mentions that in your reference, should you choose to study Politics. Otherwise, if you're not sure, why not try looking at a fairly broad degree like a combined honours, or perhaps ESPS at UCL (which lets you study one or two languages in conjunction with things like History, IR, Politics and Economics.) This would allow you to follow your interests in a number of areas.
Reply 9
History & German would be a good degree for you to do. An extra language would help if you want to go into business.
Reply 10
Since when is a business management degree soft ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Jkizer
Since when is a business management degree soft ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many people say its soft/wishy-washy. Idk
Reply 12
bump.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending