The Student Room Group

Dyslexia and Aspergers Syndrome - Is there a link?

Basically what the title says.

I'm just wonder what you guys think about the question, is there a link between Aspergers and Dyslexia?

The reason I'm asking this, is that I had a meeting today with regards to my Dyslexia sessions when I go to University next year (diagnosed in 1998), and the tutor asked me if I was also diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome.

I told her that I was not diagnosed with it, however when I was a Pup, they were suspicious that I did have Autistic tendencies, but ultimately nothing happened about it. The tutor asked me if I would be prepared to get tested for Aspergers Syndrome, at their expense, as a lot of there dyslexic students have been tested for Aspergers, and it ends up that they get diagnosed with Aspergers. Is it just a freakish coincidence, or is there some type of link here?

Should I tell her that I'm simply not interested in being tested, as it is bad enough that I already have been diagnosed with MS and Dyslexia, or should I take her up on her offer? I'm genuinely stumped.
Reply 1
Yes there is a link between the two.
Original post by OU Student
Yes there is a link between the two.

Any idea what it is? Genetics? Or the brain?
Reply 3
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Basically what the title says.

I'm just wonder what you guys think about the question, is there a link between Aspergers and Dyslexia?

The reason I'm asking this, is that I had a meeting today with regards to my Dyslexia sessions when I go to University next year (diagnosed in 1998), and the tutor asked me if I was also diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome.

I told her that I was not diagnosed with it, however when I was a Pup, they were suspicious that I did have Autistic tendencies, but ultimately nothing happened about it. The tutor asked me if I would be prepared to get tested for Aspergers Syndrome, at their expense, as a lot of there dyslexic students have been tested for Aspergers, and it ends up that they get diagnosed with Aspergers. Is it just a freakish coincidence, or is there some type of link here?

Should I tell her that I'm simply not interested in being tested, as it is bad enough that I already have been diagnosed with MS and Dyslexia, or should I take her up on her offer? I'm genuinely stumped.

Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Asperger's, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia and ADHD all come under the umbrella term of "Specific Learning Difficulty" are are therefore all linked, with some people showing symptoms of more than one condition,

I don't think Asperger's is linked to Dyslexia any more than, say, Dyspraxia is linked to Dyslexia (in fact, dyspraxia and dylsexia may overlap more often). However, they are all still specific learning difficulties.
I've heard of them being linked, but I can't remember where I heard that

Take a bit of time to consider whether you want the assessment or not. How would you feel if you had an assessment for Aspergers and you did have Aspergers? Do you think you would feel unhappy, or do you feel it would help explain any of your character traits/feelings/behaviour (or anything else about you)? Aspergers is well recognised and there are supports available for autistic students, do you feel you would benefit from any extra supports than you are receiving now, or do you feel you are getting along okay anyway right now, and finding out you had Aspergers (if you did) would change little or nothing?
Original post by River85
Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Asperger's, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia and ADHD all come under the umbrella term of "Specific Learning Difficulty" are are therefore all linked, with some people showing symptoms of more than one condition,

I don't think Asperger's is linked to Dyslexia any more than, say, Dyspraxia is linked to Dyslexia (in fact, dyspraxia and dylsexia may overlap more often). However, they are all still specific learning difficulties.
I thought as much, but to be honest, I can't say that I know too much about Aspergers Syndrome. I know a past President of Ireland had Aspergers Syndrome, and it was talked about in the press and in books. The brain is a mysterious thing.
Original post by SilverArch
I've heard of them being linked, but I can't remember where I heard that

Take a bit of time to consider whether you want the assessment or not. How would you feel if you had an assessment for Aspergers and you did have Aspergers? Do you think you would feel unhappy, or do you feel it would help explain any of your character traits/feelings/behaviour (or anything else about you)? Aspergers is well recognised and there are supports available for autistic students, do you feel you would benefit from any extra supports than you are receiving now, or do you feel you are getting along okay anyway right now, and finding out you had Aspergers (if you did) would change little or nothing?
I'm not too sure to be honest with you. It was a blow when I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2011. It took me a while to come to terms with it. I really do not know how I would take a diagnosis of Aspergers, mainly due to the fact I do not know too much about it.

To be honest, it would just feel like another kick, whilst I'm down :frown:.
I'm not too sure to be honest with you. It was a blow when I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2011. It took me a while to come to terms with it. I really do not know how I would take a diagnosis of Aspergers, mainly due to the fact I do not know too much about it.

As long as "these traits" are not causing you any problems, there is no need to get a diagnosis. (Unless you really want it.) What would it change? => Nothing, because there would be no need to treat you.
Reply 8

The two conditions are really very different. MS is a diagnosis with real implications for the future and understandably a big blow to take. A diagnosis of Asperger's woud just be labelling what you are already like. There are no future implications, really. Getting the diagnosis may free up more resources for extra school help etc, but not everyone wants a label and its up to you if you want to be tested.

I'm sure the wikipedia page will shed some light on what Asperger's is if you're interested.
You both make good points. I'm going to sit down on the laptop after the Lions match and do some research into it.
Some of us find that after a diagnosis, we're not believed by certain people. :frown: Usually, these people are clueless.

Many people go through their life with no diagnosis. I only have mine because it was suggested by a few people and it was clear that I was struggling a lot.
Original post by OU Student
Some of us find that after a diagnosis, we're not believed by certain people. :frown: Usually, these people are clueless.

Many people go through their life with no diagnosis. I only have mine because it was suggested by a few people and it was clear that I was struggling a lot.

I did some research about it all yesterday, and I think I will be taking them up on there offer. The main reason I'm going to take them up on the offer, is that they will be paying for it, and I also want to know if it will be ruled out or ruled in. It would explain some odd things I do if I do get diagnosed with it, or something else.
I was diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder age 7 (explained to me age 10) and now age 19 I've been diagnosed with Dyslexia after a hard time during Uni. I think it definitely takes it out on trying to come terms with and worrying about the implications.
As you can see I've missed words out lol
With Aspurgers, the BIGGEST difference is,You won't have the learning disabilities aspect. Meaning if you have Aspurgers, you will not have dyslexia. That missing piece is the difference between Aspurgers and Dyslexia. Meaning if you took the test and it shows that you indeed have Dyslexia, what it's really showing is that you actually have Autism..That is if you're 100% sure that your diagnosis of Aspurgers is correct. The 3 are so closely related that if you went to 3 different doctors you'd probably end up with 3 different diagnoses. Go with what you feel in your heart. Good LUCK and God bless
Original post by Campcamie
With Aspurgers, the BIGGEST difference is,You won't have the learning disabilities aspect. Meaning if you have Aspurgers, you will not have dyslexia. That missing piece is the difference between Aspurgers and Dyslexia. Meaning if you took the test and it shows that you indeed have Dyslexia, what it's really showing is that you actually have Autism..That is if you're 100% sure that your diagnosis of Aspurgers is correct. The 3 are so closely related that if you went to 3 different doctors you'd probably end up with 3 different diagnoses. Go with what you feel in your heart. Good LUCK and God bless

Not true.

You can have Asperger's and dyslexia, which is a specific learning difficulty. You just generally can't have Asperger's and a general learning disability (i.e. an intellectual disability). My mum has Asperger's and dyslexia, and she was diagnosed with Asperger's by a leading name in the field, then with dyslexia a couple of years later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending