The Student Room Group

Resit Withdrawn

Hi, i am wondering if anyone could possibly offer any advice on this situation, i'm not too sure what else i can do!

I have an offer of ABB to study at the University of Manchester. Last year, i applied to different universities as i did not have very high grade predictions. I did much better than anyone could have expected of me, and got BBB (predicted grades BCE) in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. I ended up taking a year out to improve my Biology grade to an A, so that i could apply to a university i'd always dreamed of.

After speaking to one of my tutors, we agreed that resitting a full exam would not be needed, as i was only 7 UMS marks off the A. My teacher assured me that i could resit my evaluative coursework paper to improve my grade. Over the past few months, i re-did this examination and we sent it off to the exam board for moderation.

Last night, i received an email from my tutor telling me that she has withdrawn my coursework. Apparently one of my other papers that we re-submitted from last year is no longer 'live', and as my tutor did not have any more papers from me with equal marks, she could not submit an alternative piece. As the deadline for submitting work has passed, and my coursework has been withdrawn, my current grade B will stand.

I'm just so devastated! I know i shouldn't have got my hopes up but i really had my heart set on Manchester. I thought i'd get the offer easily seeing as i only needed 7 UMS marks. I feel so let down by my teacher, my family think i should complain about it but i dont see how it will do any good.

Now, i do have an unconditional offer from Aston as my backup. It's still a good university, and at least i have a place. Should i just be grateful that i'm going to university?
I emailed Manchester last night and they told me they wouldn't be able to let me know if i could have a place until results day. I feel so helpless, surely there's something else i can do. I'd like some advice on if there's anything else i can do to convince Manchester, or if people think i should just move on and be happy with my Insurance choice.

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

tl;dr
Resat coursework, teacher didnt check it was still live so ended up being withdrawn, will now miss my offer
Original post by daniellelouise
Hi, i am wondering if anyone could possibly offer any advice on this situation, i'm not too sure what else i can do!

I have an offer of ABB to study at the University of Manchester. Last year, i applied to different universities as i did not have very high grade predictions. I did much better than anyone could have expected of me, and got BBB (predicted grades BCE) in Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. I ended up taking a year out to improve my Biology grade to an A, so that i could apply to a university i'd always dreamed of.

After speaking to one of my tutors, we agreed that resitting a full exam would not be needed, as i was only 7 UMS marks off the A. My teacher assured me that i could resit my evaluative coursework paper to improve my grade. Over the past few months, i re-did this examination and we sent it off to the exam board for moderation.

Last night, i received an email from my tutor telling me that she has withdrawn my coursework. Apparently one of my other papers that we re-submitted from last year is no longer 'live', and as my tutor did not have any more papers from me with equal marks, she could not submit an alternative piece. As the deadline for submitting work has passed, and my coursework has been withdrawn, my current grade B will stand.

I'm just so devastated! I know i shouldn't have got my hopes up but i really had my heart set on Manchester. I thought i'd get the offer easily seeing as i only needed 7 UMS marks. I feel so let down by my teacher, my family think i should complain about it but i dont see how it will do any good.

Now, i do have an unconditional offer from Aston as my backup. It's still a good university, and at least i have a place. Should i just be grateful that i'm going to university?
I emailed Manchester last night and they told me they wouldn't be able to let me know if i could have a place until results day. I feel so helpless, surely there's something else i can do. I'd like some advice on if there's anything else i can do to convince Manchester, or if people think i should just move on and be happy with my Insurance choice.

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

tl;dr
Resat coursework, teacher didnt check it was still live so ended up being withdrawn, will now miss my offer

What course have you applied for?

I would wait until results day, and then give them a call and see what you can work out.

Explain to them that you are 7 UMS marks off the A. Also explain that you did the coursework etc, but there were complications with the college.

A good idea may be to go to the college, and call the university from the college. Ask your tutor if she would speak to them about the situation - this has helped many students in the past.

I don't think it's all over just yet :smile:
Original post by Knalchemist
What course have you applied for?

I would wait until results day, and then give them a call and see what you can work out.

Explain to them that you are 7 UMS marks off the A. Also explain that you did the coursework etc, but there were complications with the college.

A good idea may be to go to the college, and call the university from the college. Ask your tutor if she would speak to them about the situation - this has helped many students in the past.

I don't think it's all over just yet :smile:

Biomedical Science.
I like the college idea, they might be a bit more sympathetic if they hear it from a teacher,
thanks for the advise!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending