The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

I was just wondering how asking a question within the personal statement would be viewed. I'm talking about a book I read and the concept that a person's awareness of family history is a component in their understanding of themselves. I want to apply this to society as a whole and so I pose a question asking why we continue to revere and remember historical events. Are rhetorical questions OK to include or should I word it differently?

This is for a combined honours in history and anthropology for four of my applications and HSPS at Cambridge.
Reply 1161
Original post by ILovePancakes
I was just wondering how asking a question within the personal statement would be viewed. I'm talking about a book I read and the concept that a person's awareness of family history is a component in their understanding of themselves. I want to apply this to society as a whole and so I pose a question asking why we continue to revere and remember historical events. Are rhetorical questions OK to include or should I word it differently?

This is for a combined honours in history and anthropology for four of my applications and HSPS at Cambridge.

Rhetorical questions usually come across badly. People do tend to use more than one in a row (Why is the sky blue? Why id the oven hot? Why is Apple being such a nuisance today?) so if you only want to use one it will sound better. But they still can sound better if phrased differently, such as "I wondered why the sky was blue,so spent my summer holidays sunbathing in the garden".
Original post by Juno
Rhetorical questions usually come across badly. People do tend to use more than one in a row (Why is the sky blue? Why id the oven hot? Why is Apple being such a nuisance today?) so if you only want to use one it will sound better. But they still can sound better if phrased differently, such as "I wondered why the sky was blue,so spent my summer holidays sunbathing in the garden".

Ok thanks. I wasn't going to use three - just the one, but I'll try to avoid it now :tongue:.
Just realised there is this thread.
I'm writing a medical PS
I am within the character limit, its the lines that are the problem.

Is it true that indenting doesn't work, and if you want paragraphs you have to leave a line between each one?

How many paragraphs is acceptable roughly for about 4000 characters? I don't want to waste lines and have to cut things out
Also are abbreviations acceptable such as DofE and CMHT? (as that would save space) Also using numbers instead of words like 3 instead of three? (as again saves space)
Original post by hpcp
Just realised there is this thread.
I'm writing a medical PS
I am within the character limit, its the lines that are the problem.

Is it true that indenting doesn't work, and if you want paragraphs you have to leave a line between each one?

How many paragraphs is acceptable roughly for about 4000 characters? I don't want to waste lines and have to cut things out
Also are abbreviations acceptable such as DofE and CMHT? (as that would save space) Also using numbers instead of words like 3 instead of three? (as again saves space)

Indenting is removed, and in practice it is the line limit that is the important constraint. Ignore the 4,000 character limit and work towards 47 lines with blank lines between paragraphs (and read my profile to see why). This usually results in 3,200 to 3,500 characters.

The PS is a piece of formal writing, with all the usual constraints on abbreviations and number formats that entails.
Hello! :smile:

I've been working over my personal statement over the summer but have come across some issues. I'm applying for Politics and International Relations and have discussed two major events that have happened this past year. However, I'm worried I haven't made it personal enough. I've been voicing my opinion on these topics and have referenced books and articles which I found interesting. I haven't got an A level in this subject so I would like to make sure the admissions tutor knows I'm committed by talking about these issues. I hope that makes sense.

Also I've been getting mixed opinions on whether I can write about my a levels and how they are related to the degree. We've been studying feminist literature in English Lit and wasn't sure whether I should incorporate it into my PS.

I'm having a really hard time keeping to the character limit though (I thought I'd have the complete opposite problem).

Thank you very much :biggrin:
Original post by YanaIguana

Also I've been getting mixed opinions on whether I can write about my a levels and how they are related to the degree.

This advice is frequently given by those who haven't thought about it vey clearly. Admissions tutors know exactly what you will gain from you A levels; don't waste space in telling them what is obvious. To draw non-obvious and tenuous links between, say, English literature and politics would be equally ridiculous and wasteful. So, overall, don't
Original post by YanaIguana
Hello! :smile:

I've been working over my personal statement over the summer but have come across some issues. I'm applying for Politics and International Relations and have discussed two major events that have happened this past year. However, I'm worried I haven't made it personal enough. I've been voicing my opinion on these topics and have referenced books and articles which I found interesting. I haven't got an A level in this subject so I would like to make sure the admissions tutor knows I'm committed by talking about these issues. I hope that makes sense.

Also I've been getting mixed opinions on whether I can write about my a levels and how they are related to the degree. We've been studying feminist literature in English Lit and wasn't sure whether I should incorporate it into my PS.

I'm having a really hard time keeping to the character limit though (I thought I'd have the complete opposite problem).

Thank you very much :biggrin:

Talking about your A levels has no place in a ps. Admissions tutors know that all students of these subjects cover the same ground, so it doesn't make anyone stand out or say anything about their suitability for the course. You need to show you know what the course entails and why that interests you. Critiquing books and discussing the news extensively doesn't have much of a place either, but it shows an interest in the subject. You need to look at what exactly this degree entails as far as academic content goes and show your interest in and suitability for that.
Original post by Good bloke
This advice is frequently given by those who haven't thought about it vey clearly. Admissions tutors know exactly what you will gain from you A levels; don't waste space in telling them what is obvious. To draw non-obvious and tenuous links between, say, English literature and politics would be equally ridiculous and wasteful. So, overall, don't

A moment of synchronicity!
Thanks for the advice everyone
How much do Personal Statements really matter?

I know it sounds like a stupid question but it's keeping me up at night. My school had us start work on our personal statements at the back end of last year and I, being the studious student, finished a first draft and handed it in before we broke up. I got it back with a lot of red ink everywhere - but the head of HE said that it was a good first draft... with a lot of work to go.

I honestly think I won't be able to refine it and get it to the good quality that is being asked. Academically I'm fine - A*s and As at GCSE and 4As at AS. I'll leave Sixth Form with 3 A2s, 2 ASs and an EPQ. In all likelihood I'll be predicted As in all my A2 subjects and probably 1 A*. It's just my PS which is going to be utterly crap.

My course isn't that competitive - Economics and Politics. Any reassurances from people?
Original post by NikolaT
Any reassurances from people?

None really. You cannot predict, in most cases, how influential it might be. It could turn an admissions tutor off an otherwise good application, it could clinch the deal, or it could show there is a spark that clears the way past an otherwise unsatisfactory record. Or it might not be read. You just don't know.

The best tip is to make sure every facet of your application is as good as it can be.
I want to do a combined degree in Economics and Geography, preferably at Leeds or Loughborough. I don't really have much passion for either subject and I don't massively enjoy either of them so what can I say that makes it seem like I do care about them? I have read 1 or 2 economics books (Freakonomics 1 and 2, half of the undercover economist) and didn't really enjoy them. I have never done anything to demonstrate an interest in Geography so is there anything I can say, or do very quickly to help me?
Original post by Alex Doran
I want to do a combined degree in Economics and Geography, preferably at Leeds or Loughborough. I don't really have much passion for either subject and I don't massively enjoy either of them so what can I say that makes it seem like I do care about them? I have read 1 or 2 economics books (Freakonomics 1 and 2, half of the undercover economist) and didn't really enjoy them. I have never done anything to demonstrate an interest in Geography so is there anything I can say, or do very quickly to help me?

The best advice I can give you is: think again. Studying one subject you don't enthuse over is difficult enough. Choosing to study two is a recipe for complete disaster. You are more likely to drop out, incurring the debt for no result and a lot of wasted time.
The best advice I can give you is: think again. Studying one subject you don't enthuse over is difficult enough. Choosing to study two is a recipe for complete disaster. You are more likely to drop out, incurring the debt for no result and a lot of wasted time.

I have no doubt that that is the course I want to do, I just need to think a reason to write down as to why as the honest reasons don't sound as good. I am choosing 2 subjects specifically because neither are particularly interesting for me and I am much more likely to enjoy a combination of 2 subjects than 3 years of just 1 thing. The variety will make it more interesting, not less.
The variety will make it more interesting, not less.

Double not very interesting is not interesting at all, I'm afraid.
Double not very interesting is not interesting at all, I'm afraid.

It is the same amount of work, just on more varied topics. It is not like I am doing twice as much as anyone else. I will do just as many hours as any other student, but my hours will be split between 2 different subjects and I would argue that increased diversity within a set amount of time can only make it more interesting.
I would argue that increased diversity within a set amount of time can only make it more interesting.

Yes, but that only applies if you have an interest in the subjects in the first place. You don't, you have said. It is obviously your own decision but it is a very ill-advised one.
Yes, but that only applies if you have an interest in the subjects in the first place. You don't, you have said. It is obviously your own decision but it is a very ill-advised one.

I am definitely going to university (will not explain all the reasons here) and I have no greater interest in any other subjects so it seems like the best option to me.
Assuming that is the course I am doing (I have no doubts that it is,) do you have any advice for my original question?
I am definitely going to university (will not explain all the reasons here) and I have no greater interest in any other subjects so it seems like the best option to me.
Assuming that is the course I am doing (I have no doubts that it is,) do you have any advice for my original question?

I am reminded of the lost driver who asked the local countryman how to get to his destination. The reply was "If I was going there I wouldn't start from here".

You might as well make up any old rubbish, as long as you are aware you may be asked about it at a later time. To state you are wanting to do a subject because it is marginally less uninteresting to you than anything else is almost as disastrous as actually studying a course for that reason. Good luck. You'll need it. I'll be surprised if you aren't back here in a year or two asking for advice on reapplying, having dropped out, and only having limited funding availability left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending