The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yahiabsat
Is there any third party website you could recommend. Please this is very urgent :colondollar:

I am afraid not. Have you used the resources on TSR?http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_Your_Personal_Statement
Original post by Chlorophile
But why would the admissions tutor have told us it's fine if that's the case?

Because it is 'fine' to include it, just not optimal.

Personally there are better things to be talking about than UMS scores.
(edited 9 years ago)
What does the PS builder do? Is this service the same as thePS helper (give you advise /correct it) or different? When I use the PS does it take a look at my PS or only help me to structure it?:confused:
Thx in advance:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mimi007
What does the PS builder do? Is this service the same as thePS helper (give you advise /correct it) or different? When I use the PS does it take a look at my PS or only help me to structure it?:confused:
Thx in advance:biggrin:

The builder talks you through writing it - notes and then paragraphs. It doesn't correct it but it does give you some tips at the end
Original post by *Interrobang*
The builder talks you through writing it - notes and then paragraphs. It doesn't correct it but it does give you some tips at the end

So someone will comment it and give advise how u can improve your ps?
Original post by mimi007
So someone will comment it and give advise how u can improve your ps?

Not for free I'm afraid. There will be a paid for review service opening in the future
Not for free I'm afraid. There will be a paid for review service opening in the future

Hi I was considering to apply to both Aberdeen and St Andrews for economics and english and then apply to my remaining 3 universities for english only. The question I have is if my personal statement is mainly about english with a bit of information on economics would my statement be ok or should I include more about economics as well?
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi I was considering to apply to both Aberdeen and St Andrews for economics and english and then apply to my remaining 3 universities for english only. The question I have is if my personal statement is mainly about english with a bit of information on economics would my statement be ok or should I include more about economics as well?

Confucius say "He who sits on the fence rips his trousers".

Both English and economics are highly competitive. English-only universities will wonder why you have material about economics if you put it in. If you don't, the economics universities will wonder why you are applying for economics. The best advice is to apply to similar courses at all your choices - either all English or all economics - with a PS that is either all English or 50% of each subject.

You'll have to choose between them at some stage (assuming you get offers) so make sure you make the choice at a time when it will help your application, and not after it has ruined it.

Will the service be up and running before October by any chance?:frown:
I'm reapplying this year and I was just wondering to what degree am I able to use content from the PS I applied to Unis with last year?
Original post by PaulKrugman
I'm reapplying this year and I was just wondering to what degree am I able to use content from the PS I applied to Unis with last year?

To any degree you think makes sense, though I'd be surprised if you couldn't improve it and didn't have new experience or insights to convey.
Original post by Good bloke
To any degree you think makes sense, though I'd be surprised if you couldn't improve it and didn't have new experience or insights to convey.

Indeed I'm going to do such things, I was merely concerned if there are rules against copying word for word paragraphs or sentences from before.
Reply 1212
Original post by PaulKrugman
Indeed I'm going to do such things, I was merely concerned if there are rules against copying word for word paragraphs or sentences from before.

If it's yours it's fine to copy. If there is any chance anyone else copied, it's not fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
Will the service be up and running before October by any chance?:frown:

I'm afraid that I don't know. It's down to the TSR staff
Sorry if this is rude, but could anyone with experience looking at English personal statements give some examples of authors or texts you find to be overused? I don't want to come off as too generic lol :smile: Like for example I was going to mention T.S. Eliot, but I feel like he might be a really common one?
Original post by troodon
Sorry if this is rude, but could anyone with experience looking at English personal statements give some examples of authors or texts you find to be overused? I don't want to come off as too generic lol :smile: Like for example I was going to mention T.S. Eliot, but I feel like he might be a really common one?

Your aim is not to try and catch the admissions tutors out by naming the most obscure authors you can find, but to show that you are developing a personal taste and genuine enthusiasm for particular types of literature. If I tell you some obscure authors, then you won't have read them and will be faking that enthusiasm and interest. Be yourself. If you like TS Eliot, say so and don't be hipster about it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Your aim is not to try and catch the admissions tutors out by naming the most obscure authors you can find, but to show that you are developing a personal taste and genuine enthusiasm for particular types of literature. If I tell you some obscure authors, then you won't have read them and will be faking that enthusiasm and interest. Be yourself. If you like TS Eliot, say so and don't be hipster about it.

Itee thanks g, going to put in a mixture I guess
Another English applicant here. The problem I'm facing with my personal statement is that, though the authors/texts I've put down remain favourites, I'm always finding, in the course of my extracurricular reading, new writers that I've fallen in love with, new boundaries of literature that I haven't discovered before but have become immediately entranced by etc. (for example, have just finished Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange and am so overflowing with ideas about it, I can't bear to not even mention it in the PS!)

Question being: should I repeatedly change my personal statement to reflect the ever-changing discoveries I have made through my external reading? I may well be called up to have an interview at the universities I am applying to, and though I will still have a lot to say about the texts I've put down for the timebeing, I would love to have a way to discuss these other works I've been reading in the meantime.

Or would it be better to just, say, look through these new novels/authors/poems/poets that I've become enamoured with, arrange them into say a list, and then see how I can link them to the texts/authors/poets name-dropped in the personal statement?
Original post by SeftonStalag
Another English applicant here. The problem I'm facing with my personal statement is that, though the authors/texts I've put down remain favourites, I'm always finding, in the course of my extracurricular reading, new writers that I've fallen in love with, new boundaries of literature that I haven't discovered before but have become immediately entranced by etc. (for example, have just finished Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange and am so overflowing with ideas about it, I can't bear to not even mention it in the PS!)

Question being: should I repeatedly change my personal statement to reflect the ever-changing discoveries I have made through my external reading? I may well be called up to have an interview at the universities I am applying to, and though I will still have a lot to say about the texts I've put down for the timebeing, I would love to have a way to discuss these other works I've been reading in the meantime.

Or would it be better to just, say, look through these new novels/authors/poems/poets that I've become enamoured with, arrange them into say a list, and then see how I can link them to the texts/authors/poets name-dropped in the personal statement?

You can't change your ps once it's been submitted. Have a look at my sticky:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563
Original post by SeftonStalag

Two of the golden rules of writing a PS are never name drop and never write lists. If you have to search for a link then there isn't really one there and you are just trying to concoct one. Be careful about merely gushing forth your delight for what sounds like everyone you ever read. English literature tutors are looking for evidence that you can analyse what you are reading, not wonder at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending