The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
finally decided what course i want to do :cool:

stuck for the personal statement now!!
any tips on a personal statement to do a course in medical microbiology?
Original post by jld310
finally decided what course i want to do :cool:

stuck for the personal statement now!!
any tips on a personal statement to do a course in medical microbiology?

Check the general guidance - you'll be able to apply it to that
Hi!

Firstly, I'll give y'all a bit of background information.
I am studying A2s, and I am hoping to apply for 2014 to five Russell Group Universities.
My subjects, and UCAS grade predictions are as follows...
English Language: A (could get this up to an A* if you student roomers think it would help, as I got 90UMS in the exam, about 86 overall)
English Literature: A
History: A*

I want to study English and History as a joint honors. But, not everywhere offer this, for example, I am applying for KCL, who only offer either History, Liberal Arts (which I am not considering) or English Language and Literature. I will be applying for History.
I am applying for Edinburgh, to study English Language and History, as I think I have a better chance of getting an offer as when an admissions tutor emailed me, they said that it was much less competitive and does not receive the same calibre of applicants that the Lit and History alternative did.
SO
Ed: English Language and History
KCL: History
Nottingham: English Literature and History AAA-AAB
Liverpool: English and History AAA

and one more university, possibll
Is it actually possible for me to incorporate all three subjects into my PS? Is this wise? Should I just apply for Lit and History at Edinburgh and hope for the best? Will my strange PS hinder my application? Should I get my English Language prediction up?

~~~~~ How is best to structure my personal statement for a joint honors? or possibly for Language, Literature and History? or shall I leave it at Literature and History? I reeeeally love Edinburgh and would love to study there, which is why I was thinking of applying for Language and History as opposed to Literature. ~~~~~~

Please note: it's not that i want the university more than the course at edinburgh, their course is one of my favorites, and you can choose how much of each subject you want to study. EG 70% History 30% English. And you have a lot of choice. Whereas, at Nottingham, you have to do 50/50 and if you do single honors English Literature only get one choice module in year 1 (out of six).

MMMMMMMEWHNUJERHQFU3HU :frown: :frown:

Thank you!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey, everyone! :smile:

So I was wondering, if you're referencing novels or plays, does it matter whether you use single or double quotation marks? For example, would it be 'Hamlet' by William Shakespeare or "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare? Or is it up to personal preference? Thank you very much in advance! :smile:
Original post by Raymond666
Hey, everyone! :smile:

So I was wondering, if you're referencing novels or plays, does it matter whether you use single or double quotation marks? For example, would it be 'Hamlet' by William Shakespeare or "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare? Or is it up to personal preference? Thank you very much in advance! :smile:

Single, although using none is perfectly acceptable and saves characters.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Single, although using none is perfectly acceptable and saves characters.

Thank you! I'd rather use correct punctuation and grammar when writing my personal statement, especially since I'm applying for an English degree.

Although I must admit that omitting quotation marks altogether to save characters is really tempting ... :P
Thank you! I'd rather use correct punctuation and grammar when writing my personal statement, especially since I'm applying for an English degree.

Although I must admit that omitting quotation marks altogether to save characters is really tempting ... :P
It's perfectly correct in modern English usage and quite clear in context. I can't recall if you can use italics in Ucas's formatting, but that would solve your problem.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's perfectly correct in modern English usage and quite clear in context. I can't recall if you can use italics in Ucas's formatting, but that would solve your problem.

I know it is, but I was just wondering if UCAS had a rule or anything that stipulated the sole use of double quotation marks or whatever. And no, UCAS doesn't allow you to use italics which is rather annoying, if you ask me!
I know it is, but I was just wondering if UCAS had a rule or anything that stipulated the sole use of double quotation marks or whatever. And no, UCAS doesn't allow you to use italics which is rather annoying, if you ask me!

They don't have any rules, apart from not allowing indents and special characters and so on. I thought they wouldn't allow italics, but wasn't sure. No idea why. I'm sure they must have their reasons but it seems a very basic program somehow.
Original post by thepotofbasil
Hi!

Firstly, I'll give y'all a bit of background information.
I am studying A2s, and I am hoping to apply for 2014 to five Russell Group Universities.
My subjects, and UCAS grade predictions are as follows...
English Language: A (could get this up to an A* if you student roomers think it would help, as I got 90UMS in the exam, about 86 overall)
English Literature: A
History: A*

I want to study English and History as a joint honors. But, not everywhere offer this, for example, I am applying for KCL, who only offer either History, Liberal Arts (which I am not considering) or English Language and Literature. I will be applying for History.
I am applying for Edinburgh, to study English Language and History, as I think I have a better chance of getting an offer as when an admissions tutor emailed me, they said that it was much less competitive and does not receive the same calibre of applicants that the Lit and History alternative did.
SO
Ed: English Language and History
KCL: History
Nottingham: English Literature and History AAA-AAB
Liverpool: English and History AAA

and one more university, possibll
Is it actually possible for me to incorporate all three subjects into my PS? Is this wise? Should I just apply for Lit and History at Edinburgh and hope for the best? Will my strange PS hinder my application? Should I get my English Language prediction up?

~~~~~ How is best to structure my personal statement for a joint honors? or possibly for Language, Literature and History? or shall I leave it at Literature and History? I reeeeally love Edinburgh and would love to study there, which is why I was thinking of applying for Language and History as opposed to Literature. ~~~~~~

Please note: it's not that i want the university more than the course at edinburgh, their course is one of my favorites, and you can choose how much of each subject you want to study. EG 70% History 30% English. And you have a lot of choice. Whereas, at Nottingham, you have to do 50/50 and if you do single honors English Literature only get one choice module in year 1 (out of six).

MMMMMMMEWHNUJERHQFU3HU :frown: :frown:

Thank you!

you couldn't write a good PS covering that range. Why not look at applying for single honours and doing electives in the other subject? Scottish unis are particularly good at this
Reply 170
Where can I check personal statement's grammar? TSR help told me I have to find someone.

Please help me!
Original post by fadytousa
Where can I check personal statement's grammar? TSR help told me I have to find someone.

Please help me!

Go to a teacher at school? They're usually the best. :yes:
Original post by BethaneyJ
Go to a teacher at school? They're usually the best. :yes:

It is my unfortunate lot to tell you that these days, sadly, teachers are seldom the best advisors when it comes to English grammar - our own Carnationlilyrose, excepted, of course. Many have themselves been educated at a time when grammar hasn't been properly taught, and most of them could not tell you the difference between a gerund and a modifier - few even understand which nouns require capitalisation, as can be seen in the advice given to their pupils and reposted here, and the subjunctive appears to be a dark mystery.
Original post by Good bloke
It is my unfortunate lot to tell you that these days, sadly, teachers are seldom the best advisors when it comes to English grammar - our own Carnationlilyrose, excepted, of course. Many have themselves been educated at a time when grammar hasn't been properly taught, and most of them could not tell you the difference between a gerund and a modifier - few even understand which nouns require capitalisation, as can be seen in the advice given to their pupils and reposted here, and the subjunctive appears to be a dark mystery.

This is true most of the time, and because of this I usually recommend an english teacher specifically who tend to be a little more reliable :rolleyes: :yes:
Reply 174
are you guys getting your teacher to mark it?
Original post by Good bloke

I thank you for your kind compliment. I must stand up for my own department members here also, who, being ancient, nearly all studied Latin and consequently can tell a gerund from a gerundive if required. We were all, however, recruited at a time when academic snobbery was the driving force behind the then head's staffing policy, whereas now, it seems the only requirements are being under 30 and being prepared to coach netball.
I'm stuck on explaining why I'm interested in psychology..
it's the whole general aspect of psychology, what it does to improve people's lives, how interesting the study's can be, how it can reveal shocking, unexpected behaviours..

just psychology in general! I just can't put this interest into a sentence.

In the start of my personal statement, I've basically spoke about how useful psychology is.. but i've barely mentioned why this interests me. it seems pretty obvious?

ahhh can someone help? any suggestions? :s-smilie:
Original post by jodie.irwin27
it's the whole general aspect of psychology, what it does to improve people's lives, how interesting the study's can be, how it can reveal shocking, unexpected behaviours..

But you just have! I mean, obviously it's not a single well-composed sentence yet, but you've just listed three aspects of psychology that interest you. They may seem obvious to you, but to others they're not (and other candidates will choose other aspects).

I would advise looking at those three aspects that you've just identified as areas of interest, and see if you can expand on them. What would your answer be if I asked you, "In what way does psychology improve people's lives?" or if I asked, "What do you mean by revealing shocking, unexpected behaviours?"

Probably, if we were chatting and you tried to answer me, you'd start talking about a particular book you read or a study you heard about...well, there you go, that's what you can talk about in your PS and the fact that you know these things and have a view on them is the evidence of your strong and lively interest in the subject.

Good luck!
Original post by jodie.irwin27

In the start of my personal statement, I've basically spoke about how useful psychology is.. but i've barely mentioned why this interests me. it seems pretty obvious?

ahhh can someone help? any suggestions? :s-smilie:

Be careful not to discuss the work of psychologists (as in clinical psychologists etc. - not including researchers in this) - you need to have the focus on academic psychology, rather than applied. Talk about areas of psychology that have interested you and why briefly in the intro, then go into more detail later. Check out the guidance for psychology PSs on the TSR wiki as well
Reply 179
hi everyone! very quick question here :P should i include in my personal statement that apart from what i am doing in my gap year (forced gap year) i'm also resitting couple of my exams? or maybe it's not very good idea?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending