The Student Room Group

Is Facebook / Twitter ruining social lives and social interaction?

This poll is closed

Is Facebook / Twitter ruining social lives and social interaction?

Yes! 53%
No!47%
Total votes: 75
And as a side issue, just curious how many people do you know without a Facebook/Twitter?

I know loads of people without Twitter but only 1 person without Facebook.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madamimadam
And as a side issue, just curious how many people do you know without a Facebook/Twitter?

I know loads of people without Twitter but only 1 person without Facebook.

I know plenty of people who do not have either a Twitter Account or a Facebook Account. I have tried twitter, and I can't say I thought too much of it, so I binned it. I do use my Facebook Account everyday though, mainly to keep in contact with my family.
Reply 2
Original post by CelticSymphony67
I know plenty of people who do not have either a Twitter Account or a Facebook Account. I have tried twitter, and I can't say I thought too much of it, so I binned it. I do use my Facebook Account everyday though, mainly to keep in contact with my family.

I know people who just use their Facebook to show off photos of what they have done, they like going places just to take pics to put on facebook, or just to take photos of their food at restraurants lol
Of course it is.

With the internet and social networking worming it's way more and more into peoples lives. We are failing to be able to communicate properly.

Now, for the older generation it's not that bad. They had the experience of hands on communication and a childhood of constantly being out and learning new experiences so now, we technology, they either don't accept it or find it as helping hand to do business work, communicate with long lost relatives and friends and use it as a aid while still keeping the perfect balance with getting out and having social interaction to using the internet at other times.

The younger generation are having the 'traditional' child and all them experiences taken away from them. The more they get introduced to the internet at a younger age, the less they are getting out and living as our parents did etc. It takes away life lessons that they should be learning but fail to do.
They find it hard to have a conversation because it's school then straight home and on the computer. Talking to their friends while on their consoles etc and not being out with their friends. (This is me most of the time because I'm a lazy teen!)

Don't get me wrong, technology is great in every aspect and it allows us to do so many new, wonderful amazing things!
But at the end of the day, it's about self control and having the perfect balance of a social life and using the internet and the parents to make sure their kids actual get out!

... If all of this makes sense!
I have neither, although I do take a look at twitter from time to time.

So I wouldn't really know how it affects things tbh, especially as I don't have any friends anyway.

Things would definitely be better for me personally if Twitter/Facebook didn't exist, because then I wouldn't feel so left out. :smile:
Reply 5
To an extent, think the false perceptions it creates of people's lives is a worser biproduct than lack of social interaction.
I know people who just use their Facebook to show off photos of what they have done, they like going places just to take pics to put on facebook, or just to take photos of their food at restraurants lol
:biggrin: I'm the first to admit, I do go a bit mental when people constantly put pictures of their dinner on FB. Why? I just don't get it. Pictures of there kids? Yes. Pictures of there Holidays? Yes. Pictures of there dinner? No!
Reply 7
Personally I think social media sites enhance social relations as it provides opportunities to interact with friends when you are not with them and creating strong bonds with different people. I just do not see how in any way that social media sites are bad except for those who are weak and lack motivation in life; thus being sucked into the 'keyboard warrior', 'alter-'ego', 'Tyler-esque' self.
I would say yes - I think it makes it too easy for people to become socially isolated and use it instead of actually socializing properly. From half of the crap people post on there it seems many people I know feel it is an essential part of their lives and that they must share everything, which personally I think is pretty sad.
I'd argue that it's just another form of social interaction and so is in fact enriching our social lives. Just because an interaction is not face-to-face does not mean it is any less real, or that it creates social relations less then a face-to-face interaction may.
Reply 10
Original post by Naaadiiiaaa
I'd argue that it's just another form of social interaction and so is in fact enriching our social lives. Just because an interaction is not face-to-face does not mean it is any less real, or that it creates social relations less then a face-to-face interaction may.

But people can stalk people online so easily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I think overall it enhances socializing, but I no longer have facebook, and I never really had twitter (found it to be ****).
Reply 12
Original post by Ham22
I think overall it enhances socializing, but I no longer have facebook, and I never really had twitter (found it to be ****).

I agree I just don't see the point of twitter, celebrities always just ignore tweets from normal people anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
But people can stalk people online so easily

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really understand how that shows it's ruining our social lives though? On most social media sites steps can be taken to prevent anyone you want from seeing the content you post.
Reply 14
Original post by Naaadiiiaaa
I don't really understand how that shows it's ruining our social lives though? On most social media sites steps can be taken to prevent anyone you want from seeing the content you post.

I mean that people prefer to "talk" online which is reducing "real" face to have interaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Ham22

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I think, actually, that having the 'who's online' facility on Facebook can be a mixed blessing. Why do they have this, really? Instant chat is OK, but most people have Skype? It's just rather invasive, I would say. But internet people seem to feed off fear like that -- is so and so paying attention to me? Sometimes it's just too much information for our own good.
Original post by Dhaden
To an extent, think the false perceptions it creates of people's lives is a worser biproduct than lack of social interaction.

Indeed. I myself am guilty of envious thoughts when I see exiting status updates from my facebook posts.

With regards to the OP, I know noone who uses neither facebook nor twitter.
Reply 18
Original post by keromedic
Indeed. I myself am guilty of envious thoughts when I see exiting status updates from my facebook posts.

With regards to the OP, I know noone who uses neither facebook nor twitter.

Interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
It is ruining the social lives of those who allow it. And that is, sadly, quite a large portion of people.

I used to have a twitter account for about 4 months but I got bored of it... As for Facebook, I have a profile although I only use it when I actually want to talk to someone, not just cock about...

So it is really up to the person if they let it ruin their social lives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending