The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maccees

Does this mean I need a new chain/sprockets? D:

I can't tell what's happening from this picture but as someone whose chain snapped whilst riding lately it's good to replace them.

Take more photos or ask someone irl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
I can't tell what's happening from this picture but as someone whose chain snapped whilst riding lately it's good to replace them.

Take more photos or ask someone irl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Showed it to a biker who comes in the pub I work at last night, he said the O rings have worn because whoever fitted my tyres seriously over tightened my chain. So him and his mate slackened it all off for me while I was working lol, anyway he reckons it should be ok now...but at least one link has a whole chunk of O ring missing? :s
Original post by Maccees
Showed it to a biker who comes in the pub I work at last night, he said the O rings have worn because whoever fitted my tyres seriously over tightened my chain. So him and his mate slackened it all off for me while I was working lol, anyway he reckons it should be ok now...but at least one link has a whole chunk of O ring missing? :s

I think I'm too blind to see from that photo.

Tbh I'd buy a new chain but I had one snap on me last week so am bias.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2403
Hello all, last blog entry for Scotland is up. Taken a wee while due to new job, moving house, etc. etc. :smile: Not too much on it really to be fair.
http://mcblogspot83.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/scotland-day-8.html

Spoiler

I think I'm too blind to see from that photo.

Tbh I'd buy a new chain but I had one snap on me last week so am bias.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I ordered a new D.I.D. chain yesterday, having it fitted next week. Also ordered a -1 tooth front sprocket :colone:.
bah, i thought replacing the alternator on a car would be easy (compared to a bike), but ive spent the best part of today getting the old one out
Original post by Boristhethird
bah, i thought replacing the alternator on a car would be easy (compared to a bike), but ive spent the best part of today getting the old one out

Bike are easy compared to cars I've found.

Learning to drive a car again now. Well, booked my first lesson and theory test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2407
I understand the mechanics of a bike better... but still don't touch them without supervision!

Day 11 of the Pyrenees trip is up :smile:. Trying to get that one finished off now!
http://mcblogspot83.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/pyrenees-day-11.html

Spoiler

Reply 2408
By the way the video logs seem to have disappeared?
Haven't had a chance to look through the thread so sorry if it's been asked but did anyone here do their CBT and start to ride as soon as they turned 17?
Bike are easy compared to cars I've found.

Learning to drive a car again now. Well, booked my first lesson and theory test.

Posted from TSR Mobile

some things are easier on the car, some on the bike

Original post by Krifect
Haven't had a chance to look through the thread so sorry if it's been asked but did anyone here do their CBT and start to ride as soon as they turned 17?

i did!
Original post by Boristhethird

i did!

Would you recommend it to someone else?
Original post by Krifect

Did my cbt the day after my 16th birthday. It was a Saturday. Asked to take the Friday off to do it and parents said no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey any shorter riders 5'3 roughly or under) have trouble with DAS? I'm 5'3 pretty light and kinda worried. Any advice?

If it helps I've been on a 100cc scooter for a few years but only recently did manual CBT and rented a 125 for a week (during which I came off on a wet road)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did my cbt the day after my 16th birthday. It was a Saturday. Asked to take the Friday off to do it and parents said no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get a bike ASAP after that?

Same question as above, would you recommend it?
Original post by Krifect
Did you get a bike ASAP after that?

Same question as above, would you recommend it?

I had a bike six months earlier.

Yea, definitely. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a bike six months earlier.

Yea, definitely. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully you're okay with me asking some more questions :tongue:

Did you get any help with paying for your bike, gear etc?
Were your parents OK with it?
Original post by Krifect
Would you recommend it to someone else?

yeah! bikes are fun!

Original post by Krifect

i was given a jacket and gloves for my birthday, already had a helmet (as a pillion), and used normal jeans and assult boots.

as for parents, my dad could hardly say no as he had a bike himself :tongue: (along with 2 of my brothers)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Krifect

Parents bought me the bike for my 16th birthday. I already had the kit because i'd been riding on the back of my dads bike for a few years.

My dad has been riding for 30 years, couldn't say me no.
Reply 2419
Parents bought me the bike for my 16th birthday. I already had the kit because i'd been riding on the back of my dads bike for a few years.

My dad has been riding for 30 years, couldn't say me no.

My parents went mad initially but they settled down as the years went by...

I went out and bought all my own gear initially.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending