The Student Room Group

Placement/sandwich year

I'm thinking about applying for a placement year for my Psychology degree known as a sandwich placement year. However, I don't like the idea of having to wait an extra year to graduate. I ideally want to get Uni over and done with, out of the way. I was wondering, if I applied for the sandwich year, will I be able to change my mind later? Say in the first year, I tell my tutor that I no longer wanna take up the year for placement, will they allow this or will they say I have to go on the placement year because it's what I originally applied for?
If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know! Or if you're in a similar situation or experienced a situation like this when you were at Uni, can you let me know the outcome? Thank you
Reply 1
Because the 3 year course and 4 year sandwich course are the same for the first two years most unis don't have a problem with you switching.

I say most because I (obviously) haven't visited/asked all the unis. but all the uni's i've asked/ been to say you can switch :smile:.

Are you think of any uni in particular when u ask this?
It totally depends on the uni. I study at University of Bath and the placement year is compulsory. The uni websites should make it clear as to how their program works.
If you're unsure whether to take a placement, it really depends on what you want to do after your degree, although I do think they're useful experience (essential experience if you want to go into clinical)
Reply 3
Original post by ChelseyElla
It totally depends on the uni. I study at University of Bath and the placement year is compulsory. The uni websites should make it clear as to how their program works.
If you're unsure whether to take a placement, it really depends on what you want to do after your degree, although I do think they're useful experience (essential experience if you want to go into clinical)

I'm thinking of applying to Bath :smile:. Just wondering, what kind of work do you actually do on a placement? Is it 'real' work and getting true experience or is it just minor work like photocopying? I just want to know before I apply and it's too late!
Original post by Alien41
I'm thinking of applying to Bath :smile:. Just wondering, what kind of work do you actually do on a placement? Is it 'real' work and getting true experience or is it just minor work like photocopying? I just want to know before I apply and it's too late!

It will obviously depend on what uni and what placement but at Bath all of the placements are really good and it's real work. Majority of people work as Research Assistants with the same amount of work and trust etc as the graduates in this job. Some people get more hands on work such as in a hospital psych ward but it's all good experience.

I had one of the worst placements and I still feel I got a lot out of it and wouldn't have had it any other way.
Reply 5
Original post by ChelseyElla
It will obviously depend on what uni and what placement but at Bath all of the placements are really good and it's real work. Majority of people work as Research Assistants with the same amount of work and trust etc as the graduates in this job. Some people get more hands on work such as in a hospital psych ward but it's all good experience.

I had one of the worst placements and I still feel I got a lot out of it and wouldn't have had it any other way.

Cool, thanks! That's reassuring :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest