The Student Room Group

Advice urgently needed!! :(

I would like some advice as I wanted to change course to Economics and Politics from my current offer of Law at Bristol. I didn't have any luck with Bristol/Exeter as most seem to be full.

I called Durham and finally today had my details taken for their Economics & Politics course but as I was calling their course filled up. (Very annoying as yesterday some lady there said the course didnt exist in its own right and thus if that hadnt happened I might've had a place)

I came out with AAAB unfortunately as I missed out on 2 A*s by only a few marks in each.

I wonder whether anyone would recommend either trying to change to a lower ranked uni like Surrey, Birmingham who may still have spaces,
or whether to maybe take a gap year as in that time I could easily resit C3 maths paper to gain the 3 extra marks, and remark /then resit
politics (As I've consistently had high marks and not sure why last paper came out as B) to get the A*s and then reapply to the higher unis.

The only issue is I am not particularly keen to take a gap year as I'm not sure what I could do related to politics/economics and I'd be worried I'd
be unable to find anything to do.
Equally I'm not keen to go to a lower uni this year than I feel I could achieve, but again I'm not sure whether I'm being unrealistic about my chances.

There is also the possibility of going to Bristol for Law and attempting to change course while there, as they advised people may drop out.
Has anyone any knowledge of how likely this and whether it may be worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by marinaim

There is also the possibility of going to Bristol for Law and attempting to change course while there, as they advised people may drop out.
Has anyone any knowledge of how likely this and whether it may be worth it?

Certainly not worth risking. A course change will definitely never be a guaranteed option.
It is worth weighing up how much you want to go versus taking another year out. You would be in a better position as a candidate next year, but its entirely down to you whether that time factor is important.

At the same time I also think its super important to pursue Politics and Economics if you know that's where your real interests lie. Its very important to pick a course that is really right for you. You might have luck contacting less prestigious Universities about their relevant courses, but I can't comment on your chances there. Take a look at Clearing. There are some very good options around this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending