The Student Room Group

How likely am I to get offers from top universities with a B grade?

I'd love to study English literature at university, but unfortunately I only achieved a B in my AS levels (159/200, so I'm only 1 UMS off an A!) As I am so close to the A grade I'm planning on getting my paper re-marked.
In the event that my paper comes back with the same grade, how likely do you think I would be to get offers from the top universities (Cambridge, Leeds, Sheffield etc) with only a B grade?
I think I have a pretty strong personal statement and my predicted grade is an A.
Reply 1
Original post by rachaelv95
I'd love to study English literature at university, but unfortunately I only achieved a B in my AS levels (159/200, so I'm only 1 UMS off an A!) As I am so close to the A grade I'm planning on getting my paper re-marked.
In the event that my paper comes back with the same grade, how likely do you think I would be to get offers from the top universities (Cambridge, Leeds, Sheffield etc) with only a B grade?
I think I have a pretty strong personal statement and my predicted grade is an A.

I would say no chance for Cambridge. Even if you remark and go to an 'A' it's still not the high 80%-100% that Cambridge expect. Especially as it's the course you want to study. Leeds and Sheffield - good chance as long as you have a unique statement and other A-levels are good. If you achieved 90%+ in your Coursework, your English teacher can mention that in your reference, it's impressive and could help. (I did it last year). The problem with English is that lot's will have A grades, and often it's subjective (meaning you could go up by quite a bit, or down).

Quick Reply

Latest