The Student Room Group

Letter of enquiry

As a recent graduate of accounting and finance who is struggling to find a graduate job I am considering emailing some small local accountants to see if they could provide me with any part-time work/experience. I have researched each firm (largely through viewing their websites) and cannot see that they are actively seeking junior accountants so there appears to be no formal application process for me to utilise. As such I have decided to just simply email them and ask but I'm not sure how set out my email. My first draft looks like this:

Dear AAAA

Re: Work opportunities

I have recently graduated from AAAA University with a 2:1 Hons degree in Accounting and Finance and I am currently looking for work in the field of accountancy. I am therefore, writing to enquire as to whether you currently have any positions available for a trainee accountant, whether it be a full time role or simply a temporary position which may allow me to gain some experience. If there may be an opportunity for me I would be happy to send you a copy of my CV.

Thank you for your consideration,
AAA BBBBB

So can only give me any hints as to how to improve my enquiry? Should I include more information about myself or keep it brief? Should I attach my CV in the very first email? How should I sign off eg yours sincerely ?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by JuicyJoon

You should send them a fully tailored CV and covering letter, as you would if they were advertising vacancies, ie make a speculative application.

The email element should be brief and just enough to encourage them to open the two attachments and read a full application.
Reply 2
Thanks for the response. I can see why your suggested approach may be more appropriate but I don't particularly like the idea of writing a tailor made application to 5 or 6 firms on the off chance that they may be interested. It seems more logical to me to me to simply enquire as to whether they are recruiting first. Perhaps I'll try each approach and see if either brings any success.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending