The Student Room Group

HELP! How do I pick my Uni choices?!

Hi Guys!
I'm on an access to HE course (Like A Levels but for "mature students") & I'm really struggling with deciding upon my 5 options for University!
For my subjects on my course I'm taking; Law, Sociology, Psychology and History - And I'm hoping to study Politics at degree level.
I know my first choice is Cambridge (Big dream ever since I was little) but I'm struggling with my other 4. How am I meant to decide upon them? Like, what factors did all of you guys take into consideration?
:smile: Thanks in advance!

(I also have to take standard subjects of English, ICT and Study Skills)
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm assuming you'll be applying this autumn? If so, you'll only have a limited time to attend open days, but if you can manage to get to some, the "feel" you get from a place can help make decisions. You will also get more detailed information about course content, and get to meet some of the lecturers.

It's a good idea to ultimately aim to have 2 aspirational places 1/2 achievable places and 1/2 very safe places as this will make sure you get some offers and have an option for a safe insurance place.

For politics, you will probably want to look closely at course content as it will vary widely from university to university. You want to enjoy your course, so make sure you pick somewhere with modules that interest you and where the research interests of the staff interest you, as this will often come up in lectures. You could also look at how the courses are assessed. Some will be more coursework heavy, some more exam heavy.

Also, think about where you want to live- how far are you willing to move? Would you be happy living in a big city such as London? Would you be happy living somewhere comparatively isolated? Do you want a campus university or a city one? Are you interested in nightlife? Would you be looking to get a job during term time and how likely is it you could manage this?
Reply 2
I don't need a good nightlife (I can't drink) What I really need is a University with good facilities for disabled students BUT none of the websites I've tried have any reasonable information :frown: Boo!
Basically - I can't write. Typing is good, I can type for about half an hour before I need a break but my hands can't cope with gripping a pen (my fingers dislocate and become numb) All the websites say is "Email for further advice" :frown:
Original post by Portia1993
I don't need a good nightlife (I can't drink) What I really need is a University with good facilities for disabled students BUT none of the websites I've tried have any reasonable information :frown: Boo!
Basically - I can't write. Typing is good, I can type for about half an hour before I need a break but my hands can't cope with gripping a pen (my fingers dislocate and become numb) All the websites say is "Email for further advice" :frown:

Have you considered emailing for further advice? :smile:

Apart from financial help, adjustments to exams and practical assistance with moving in etc, do you have any other needs? Taps? A hand problem doesn't seem likely to prevent you from living in a medieval garret in the way that, lets say, being a wheelchair user would.

Whilst you should email for further advice, and whilst some universities will be better for you than others, I would imagine all universities will be able to support you as your needs do not seem that complex.

It is very likely that DSA (disabled students allowance) will pay for a laptop for you, which you can use to take notes on in lectures. DSA may also provide a notetaker for you if this is deemed neccessary. As far as I am aware, all universities will be able to make arrangements for you to take your exams on a computer and have special "restricted" computers set up for this purpose.
Reply 5
My only other needs are that I NEED to be ground floor - I have EDS and POTS so I dislocate joints and black out a LOT! Even so much as opening a door can be a problem some days
Like, I don't want to cause them unnecessary fuss but at the same time I'd like to be comfortable with wherever I am. I use crutches at the moment but have been told I'll end up needing a wheelchair
Reply 6
Factors I considered (or should have) when deciding on universities:

- Location (I didn't want to be either too far or too close to home)
- Surrounding area (are there a good range of shops/ entertainment facilities around, cost of living etc.)
- The university (what are the campus facilities like, does it have a good reputation)
- Teaching style and assessment
- Course content
- Accommodation (less of an issue for me but obviously important for you)
- Bursaries/ scholarships on offer
- Entry requirements
- Student welfare
- Past and present students' experiences

Like other users have said, if something you want to know isn't on the website, try emailing/ ringing/ open days. It's also worth remembering you don't have to apply to all five choices art once so you do still have some time to think about it. Good luck! :smile:
My only other needs are that I NEED to be ground floor - I have EDS and POTS so I dislocate joints and black out a LOT! Even so much as opening a door can be a problem some days
Like, I don't want to cause them unnecessary fuss but at the same time I'd like to be comfortable with wherever I am. I use crutches at the moment but have been told I'll end up needing a wheelchair

In this case, it would probably be best to ring up specific universities and ask about how they would be able to support your specific needs. I am sure most will be very helpful (and any that aren't you can cross off your list).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending