The Student Room Group

Stick with Warwick or gamble and reapply?

Hi,
So first; some background. I have an offer to study English Literature Q300 at Warwick University, commencing September 2014. In Year 12 I was not going to take a gap year, however in March 2012 I was diagnosed with a serious illness, which required surgery, missing months of school etc. I therefore decided to take a gap year because I needed some time off etc etc, and I have plenty of fun stuff lined up.
Last Thursday I received my A2 results, and I achieved A*A*AC in English literature (99.5% across the whole A level :smile:), Economics, maths and History. I was a little disappointed with History but oh well..
Basically my query is whether that C would hold me back, if I were to reapply. The only Uni's that I would apply to would be Oxford, UCL Durham and Warwick(again), so, do you think I stand a reasonable chance of an offer from UCL for English, or do you think its worth sticking with Warwick, because that's also a great uni, I just really liked UCL when I looked round
Thanks a lot to anyone who replies..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by omatm
Hi,
So first; some background. I have an offer to study English Literature Q300 at Warwick University, commencing September 2014. In Year 12 I was not going to take a gap year, however in March 2012 I was diagnosed with a serious illness, which required surgery, missing months of school etc. I therefore decided to take a gap year because I needed some time off etc etc, and I have plenty of fun stuff lined up.
Last Thursday I received my A2 results, and I achieved A*A*AC in English literature (99.5% across the whole A level :smile:), Economics, maths and History. I was a little disappointed with History but oh well..
Basically my query is whether that C would hold me back, if I were to reapply. The only Uni's that I would apply to would be Oxford, UCL Durham and Warwick(again), so, do you think I stand a reasonable chance of an offer from UCL for English, or do you think its worth sticking with Warwick, because that's also a great uni, I just really liked UCL when I looked round

You should stand a strong chance considering most only apply with three A levels anyway, a fourth is just seen as desirable by universities. Especially as you're not studying the subject at University. So, you should stand a strong choice applying to those Universities with the grades A*A*A with a good personal statement. The only institution which may reject you is Oxford. If you have strong UMS grades in your subjects then you could think about applying to Cambridge. Good luck and well done.
Reply 2
It's kinda difficult to say...... On one hand you have amazing grades which exceed the requirements for your chosen course but on the other hand at the higher end of the spectrum they DO get picky. UCL is world class so nothing's a guarantee. I only have two other things to add. Firstly the fact that the C is in History IS IMO a pro alarm it is the closest thing subject to English so..... Also I speak from post a level applying if you are interviews as I was they may well ask about that C. But you had an illnes..... Play the extenuating circumstance card perhaps. Honestly it does seem like it could go either way. I would personally do it but make sure one of your choices is worse that Warwick so that it virtually guarantees you a place and as Warwick are likely to reject you. My first firm was for Exeter law and when I applied post a level they rejected me within a week despite me getting A* a* a for a Abb course. Hope this helps
Original post by omatm
Hi,

For what it's worth I absolutely loved Warwick and have just graduated from Q300. I honestly believe the teaching quality is unbeatable as well as the course being extremely enjoyable. What are your doubts about Warwick? If you have any specific questions about the uni in general or the department I'd be happy to help. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by omatm
Hi,

With 3A*'s I don't see why you shouldn't be offered a place by top unis for your course, especially seeing as you have extenuating circumstances. If I were you I would reapply because you would most likely receive offers for better unis (although Warwick is a really good uni).

I am in the same dilemma, I got AAB at Alevel in English lit, Biology and Chemistry. I want to study Chemistry at uni however would retake an A2 module/modules to boost my grade. I have accepted my insurance offer but am wondering whether they would still offer me a place if I were to reapply, as reapplying would hopefully give me a chance to get into my original firm choice again.
I got four A* (from a dodgy comp as well) and I'm at Warwick doing English - it was always my first choice. Believe me, those grades are not unusual among Warwick English students - most of us are straight A and A* students. By all means apply elsewhere if you prefer other places, but bear in mind you've already got a place on a course commensurate with your grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by JamesLFC
You should stand a strong chance considering most only apply with three A levels anyway, a fourth is just seen as desirable by universities. Especially as you're not studying the subject at University. So, you should stand a strong choice applying to those Universities with the grades A*A*A with a good personal statement. The only institution which may reject you is Oxford. If you have strong UMS grades in your subjects then you could think about applying to Cambridge. Good luck and well done.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I understand what you mean about Oxford, but why wouldn't Cambridge reject me if Oxford would? Cheers
Reply 7
Original post by anniemagnificent
I got four A* (from a dodgy comp as well) and I'm at Warwick doing English - it was always my first choice. Believe me, those grades are not unusual among Warwick English students - most of us are straight A and A* students. By all means apply elsewhere if you prefer other places, but bear in mind you've already got a place on a course commensurate with your grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad to find someone doing it, see because its a AAA uni I presumed that that would be what most people had! Do you think that UCL or Durham are improvements or? I'm just having a panicky moment worrying about how good Warwick is, because everyone goes on about how good it is for economics etc, but English never gets a mention!!! Do you think a Warwick graduate is viewed similarly to a UCL graduate, or Imperial, or Durham etc in terms of prestige? Like, outside of Oxbridge, do you think it competes with everyone?
Reply 8
Original post by LucyCharlotte91
For what it's worth I absolutely loved Warwick and have just graduated from Q300. I honestly believe the teaching quality is unbeatable as well as the course being extremely enjoyable. What are your doubts about Warwick? If you have any specific questions about the uni in general or the department I'd be happy to help. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I was just concerned that Warwick's English department never gets mentioned as much as its Economics one, etc. Also, how good is the social side? I liked it when I looked round, but all my friends tell me how boring it sounds!
With regards to the department, is it organised etc? It just seemed quite arty when I looked round, if ya get me...
Reply 9
Original post by KingofNil
It's kinda difficult to say...... On one hand you have amazing grades which exceed the requirements for your chosen course but on the other hand at the higher end of the spectrum they DO get picky. UCL is world class so nothing's a guarantee. I only have two other things to add. Firstly the fact that the C is in History IS IMO a pro alarm it is the closest thing subject to English so..... Also I speak from post a level applying if you are interviews as I was they may well ask about that C. But you had an illnes..... Play the extenuating circumstance card perhaps. Honestly it does seem like it could go either way. I would personally do it but make sure one of your choices is worse that Warwick so that it virtually guarantees you a place and as Warwick are likely to reject you. My first firm was for Exeter law and when I applied post a level they rejected me within a week despite me getting A* a* a for a Abb course. Hope this helps

UCL is not world class, don't piss me off. Have you seen how badly they've dropped in the league tables? I know they can be misleading but still... UCL is on par with Bristol, Warwick, Durham etc. Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial are world class.

EDIT: We've obviously got some butthurt people going to UCL.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Basiji
UCL is not world class, don't piss me off. Have you seen how badly they've dropped in the league tables? I know they can be misleading but still... UCL is on par with Bristol, Warwick, Durham etc. Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial are world class.

Why does that piss you off?

Edit: You are a khar.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by omatm
Hi,

I'm about to start studying English at UCL and although I didn't end up applying to Warwick I would say that you have nothing to worry about. As many have pointed out Warwick has a great English department which I would say is on par with UCL's so, personally, I wouldn't bother reapplying. That said, if you're dead set on UCL those grades give you a great chance of getting an offer ( That C in History could be a worry though as its a closely related humanities subject). Best of luck for whatever you end up choosing!
Reply 12
Original post by Basiji

Firstly Im going to LSE so it's not like I'm biased. Second eleague tables.. Yep misleading but if u wanna play that game then UCL is 4th in the world according to the Q guide. IMO it's a world class uni but I'm very eager to hear where you go?
Reply 13
Doesn't matter what university you go to,
Reply 14
Original post by KD35
Why does that piss you off?

Edit: You are a khar.

Loooool, I'm a donkey yeah? I think I'll refrain from childish insults.

Original post by KingofNil
Firstly Im going to LSE so it's not like I'm biased. Second eleague tables.. Yep misleading but if u wanna play that game then UCL is 4th in the world according to the Q guide. IMO it's a world class uni but I'm very eager to hear where you go?

Bristol. I guess I'm just tryna make myself feel better... :frown::cry2:
Reply 15
I think you'll be absolutely fine with those grades! Two A*s and an A is more than enough to apply to UCL, Warwick, Durham, Oxbridge etc., particularly if you've got a good personal statement backing up, good GCSEs, a solid reference and can perform at interview (in the case of Oxbridge) - I shouldn't think they'll look at the C. After all, you were taking 4 subjects at A2 rather than 3, so you had a much higher workload than other candidates who will be applying having studied only three subjects at A2.

Thanks for the reply I understand what you mean about Oxford, but why wouldn't Cambridge reject me if Oxford would? Cheers

This is because Cambridge pays more close attention to UMS than Oxford. They're looking for people with UMS of 90% or higher in at least three subjects. I actually don't think it'll matter which one you apply to in terms of grades (out of Oxford/Cambridge, I mean) - I think you'd stand a fair shot at either!
Reply 16
I applied to those exact four! I don't think it would hold you back at all, most unis will understand that AS grades aren't always a true reflection of your academic ability and seeing as your A2 grades are so good, you should be fine :smile:
Original post by omatm
Glad to find someone doing it, see because its a AAA uni I presumed that that would be what most people had! Do you think that UCL or Durham are improvements or? I'm just having a panicky moment worrying about how good Warwick is, because everyone goes on about how good it is for economics etc, but English never gets a mention!!! Do you think a Warwick graduate is viewed similarly to a UCL graduate, or Imperial, or Durham etc in terms of prestige? Like, outside of Oxbridge, do you think it competes with everyone?

No I don't think UCL or Durham are improvements on Warwick for English. Most of the people here applied to those sorts of unis anyway, and the luckier ones had a choice between them! I certainly think Warwick compares with the other top unis - it wouldn't have been consistently top ten in the league tables otherwise :smile:

Maths and Economics are massive at Warwick and make a lot of noise, but English is known and respected as a top department. As I said before, if you prefer somewhere else then make a change, but I don't think you have a thing to worry about prestige-wise.

Come to Warwick. It's great :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Basiji
Loooool, I'm a donkey yeah? I think I'll refrain from childish insults.

Bristol. I guess I'm just tryna make myself feel better... :frown::cry2:

Lol that was a joke but if somebody saying UCL is world class pisses you off, maybe you are a donkey.
Reply 19
Original post by omatm
Thanks for the reply :smile: I understand what you mean about Oxford, but why wouldn't Cambridge reject me if Oxford would? Cheers

If i remember rightly, Cambridge concentrates heavily on the UMS grades. If you have around the 95 area in two preferably three of your subjects then you definitely stand as much of a chance as other students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending