The Student Room Group

It takes me at least an hour to fall asleep each night, is that normal?

Sometimes up to 2 hours, I've been like this for months now and I am dead in the morning because I'm that tired. I have a lot on my mind but I can't switch it off, I've tried over the counter herbal sleeping medication but they don't work.

Any advice? Should I go to the doctor's and ask for some sleeping pills?
That sounds a bit too long to be getting to sleep. I find the following helps me go to sleep more easily:

Try avoiding any stimulating mental activity late in the evening (work, video games, hard reading etc.), and cut out any caffeine after 6pm. Also, avoid looking at bright screens shortly before going to sleep - bright lights tell you're brain it's daytime. Furthermore, try to think about something relaxing, and keep your mind off stressful, complicated matters if you can. Maybe try to reduce any stress in your day-to-day life, too? And finally, try getting up earlier in the morning.

If this still doesn't work, then you probably have a case of insomnia that's worth seeing a doctor about.

P.S. A warm mug of milk is always a good shout :wink: And watching a boring-ass movie on a dimmed scream whilst in bed sometimes does the job.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Way too long. Takes me anywhere from 5 - 10 mins. Make sure you're sufficiently tired before going to bed.
Reply 3
It's more common than you think but not good especially if it's effecting your life.

Getting into a regular routine is probably the best thing you can do. It might be hard at first but if you stick to it it should work. Also try physically writing down a to do list for the next day, to get it out of your mind, and maybe even take up journrlling. I have the exact same problem, where you can't shut off and while it isn't a cure, it helps knowing I'm not going to forget things.

Also might worth trying little things like making sure you bedroom is completely dark, cool, don't use it for work, lavender sprays, avoid screens, read before bed. I've never found any of those things to work massively but together they should help. Don't underestimate the power of milk like the above poster said. I had a bout of insomnia, and am sure drinking lots of milk helped me break out of it. Try and eat a light snack high in magnesium and calcium before bed.

If it's still bad, I'd say go to the doctor but I dobut you'll get prescribed sleeping pills because they're tempoary measures and I think they'd be wary of getting addicted. You'd probably be at least put on a caffience avoidance thing first, at least if you young. Insomia seems to be a hereditary problem in our family. My brother was getting like two hours a night at one point and he was just told to avoid caffeine even though by that point he wasn't touching the stuff. The above tips aren't fool proof, (or I wouldnt be awake right now) but should help. :smile:
Reply 4
Hmm me too. Sometimes. But that may be because i always get distracted by my phone (eg. Now). But I wouldn't say it's majorly abnormal. Try day dreaming of a casual, calm life you want to have and fall asleep that way? Usually works for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been like this for years. It's why I sit up until I can't keep my eyes open anymore.
Reply 6
Original post by ddtown
Sometimes up to 2 hours, I've been like this for months now and I am dead in the morning because I'm that tired. I have a lot on my mind but I can't switch it off, I've tried over the counter herbal sleeping medication but they don't work.

I have the exact same problem. I actually went to the doctors. Tell me about ur sleeping pattern. What time do you go to bed and wake up? In the past I used to sleep at 2-3am and wake up 1-2pm which is really bad for my system. Try sleeping at 11 and waking up at 7-8ish everyday for a week and see if it helps. The first few nights will be long as usual as u are adjusting, but afterwards it shpuld work. Try it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ddtown

What time are you trying to sleep at? What time do you get up in the morning? Have you tried products like nytol?

Quick Reply

Latest