The Student Room Group

Should I bother applying to Edinburgh University?

I am a 20 year old student who is going to start A Film and Television studies access course in September. I don't know the University's policy on mature students or how they're dealt with.

I have been college before but dropped out due to mental health problems. I'm fine now though. I don't have past work experience in the film industry either.

I want to apply for the Film studies course at Edinburgh University.

What are the chances of me being accepted? And is there anything I can do from now to increase my chances?
Hi!

Have you contacted Edinburgh about them accepting access courses? I don't see anything on their website, but I think you should ask them before you give up. As for improving your chances, I would say showing a real passion for your subject as well as good grades will make all the difference.
Original post by David G92
I am a 20 year old student who is going to start A Film and Television studies access course in September. I don't know the University's policy on mature students or how they're dealt with.

I have been college before but dropped out due to mental health problems. I'm fine now though. I don't have past work experience in the film industry either.

I want to apply for the Film studies course at Edinburgh University.

What are the chances of me being accepted? And is there anything I can do from now to increase my chances?

Hello!

I have just begun a social sciences and humanities access course based at Edinburgh Uni (I am 21) and I have spoken to a couple of tutors/know people who completed the course prior to me and got accepted in to Edinburgh.

The tutors advised me it is best to get a grade 1 or 2 (equivalent of an A or B) to stand a chance of getting in. I know a woman (few years older) who completed an access course at Edinburgh College (Formally Telford) and she applied for two courses at Edinburgh and got accepted for both. She did also study higher Maths alongside so that probably helped with her application! (that and probably a beasting personal statement)

Universities as a whole seem to like mature students as they see that we are probably less likely to muck around and waste their time and course space. I have spoken to a few people from different universities that work in the admissions team and they advised that there is always a high intake of mature applicatns (and from what I hear and have read, there are no 'formal' requirements, so higher/advanced highers/GCSE's don't seem to matter AS much. The fact someone takes the time to complete an access course speaks for itself.

Edinburgh Uni is my first choice and I have my mind set on it. I guess it's just a question of time and hard work!

Hope that helped.

If anyomne else has info regarding mature applicants at Edinburgh/got in through an access course etc, I'd love to be enlightened!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending