The Student Room Group

Any point in me applying to Durham?

Basically i want to stay local, and Durham is one of my local unis. I will probably be predicted AAA/AAB at A2. However in my GCSEs i didn't do so well.. 2A*s 1A and the rest B's. In those B grades is maths. I haven't took maths at a level so that is my highest qualification in it. So is there any point in applying to Durham with my poor GCSEs?
Reply 1
Which course?
Reply 2
Original post by wrexhamfc
Which course?

Psychology
Reply 3
From Durham's website, the requirement is AAA at A2 and a B in GCSE Maths... both of which are criteria that you'll fulfill (well, if you're predicted AAA, at least). Whether or not you've got a good chance, I don't know, I have no idea how competitive Psychology is. But I'm assuming that Durham would be your top choice, yeah? Having one "optimistic" application isn't a problem - what have you got to lose? You have four other choices, after all.
Reply 4
Apparently 86% of applicants receive offers (source), which is surprising, but you can't really predict how you'll fare because you don't know what you're up against, how self-selecting candidates were, etc. I agree with the other poster - having one ambitious application is perfectly fine. I mean, you'll just end up thinking 'what if' otherwise.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by knope
Apparently 86% of applicants receive offers (source), which is surprising, but you can't really predict how you'll fare because you don't know what you're up against, how self-selecting candidates were, etc. I agree with the other poster - having one ambitious application is perfectly fine. I mean, you'll just end up thinking 'what if' otherwise.

That is a very interesting and useful link (for courses and unis in general), thanks.

I think it does reflect a lot of self selection because according to that site you could read it that it is much more competitive and difficult to get a place to read for a M.Eng at Heriot-Watt than it is for Durham in terms of applicants getting offers (44% and 70% respectively). Not a downer on Heriot-Watt btw from what I saw of it it is a terrific place and probably vastly underrated by the non Scots.

Just shows that you can read into statistics what you like and you should beware of what conclusions you draw.

To the OP Durham seems to be a quirky place somewhat of a law unto itself re applications and offers so I'd say it's worth a go if your eventual A2 predictions are good and you can write a storming PS. What I would definitely NOT do is put in your PS that you are interested because it's local.
Original post by Folion
What I would definitely NOT do is put in your PS that you are interested because it's local.

There is no need to mention it because it should be obvious from the address. However, Durham are specifically targeting locals.

http://www.offa.org.uk/agreements/University%20of%20Durham%200116%20access%20agreement%202013-14.pdf
Reply 7
Original post by Folion
To the OP Durham seems to be a quirky place somewhat of a law unto itself re applications and offers so I'd say it's worth a go if your eventual A2 predictions are good and you can write a storming PS. What I would definitely NOT do is put in your PS that you are interested because it's local.

Thanks! Don't worry, I won't be mentioning that in my PS!
Reply 8
Original post by wrexhamfc
From Durham's website, the requirement is AAA at A2 and a B in GCSE Maths... both of which are criteria that you'll fulfill (well, if you're predicted AAA, at least). Whether or not you've got a good chance, I don't know, I have no idea how competitive Psychology is. But I'm assuming that Durham would be your top choice, yeah? Having one "optimistic" application isn't a problem - what have you got to lose? You have four other choices, after all.

Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by nulli tertius
There is no need to mention it because it should be obvious from the address. However, Durham are specifically targeting locals.

http://www.offa.org.uk/agreements/University%20of%20Durham%200116%20access%20agreement%202013-14.pdf

Just because an applicant has a local address it doesn't automatically follow that they have applied simply because of proximity. For example my younger son will be starting at our local uni solely on the basis of the course and it's content (he will be living in halls of res for at least his first year even though travelling from home would be an easy commute).

Choosing to apply locally is a perfectly valid reason for an applicant and, indeed, for some it might be a necessity its just that some institutions , especially competitive ones, may not like to hear it as the primary reason.

The link to that document is very interesting but to me it reads more like Durham are looking to recruit people of a particular social background rather than geographical. I suspect they've chosen people living in certain areas because they are more likely to be a receptive audience than people of similar type from other parts of the country. If the OP fits the profile Durham are going for then I say go for it, grab any advantage you can. Definitely worth the OP checking this out. Looks like you might have to be part of this scheme for it to be of any use because as Durham point out there is no way of knowing a person's background at point of application.
Original post by Folion
Just because an applicant has a local address it doesn't automatically follow that they have applied simply because of proximity. For example my younger son will be starting at our local uni solely on the basis of the course and it's content (he will be living in halls of res for at least his first year even though travelling from home would be an easy commute).

Choosing to apply locally is a perfectly valid reason for an applicant and, indeed, for some it might be a necessity its just that some institutions , especially competitive ones, may not like to hear it as the primary reason.

The link to that document is very interesting but to me it reads more like Durham are looking to recruit people of a particular social background rather than geographical. I suspect they've chosen people living in certain areas because they are more likely to be a receptive audience than people of similar type from other parts of the country. If the OP fits the profile Durham are going for then I say go for it, grab any advantage you can. Definitely worth the OP checking this out. Looks like you might have to be part of this scheme for it to be of any use because as Durham point out there is no way of knowing a person's background at point of application.

There has been criticism of Durham in the North East for a number of years over the geographical distribution of its students in which it has been compared unfavourably with Newcastle.
Sorry to ask but could someone answer my question please http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2445957
Reply 12
Original post by nulli tertius
There has been criticism of Durham in the North East for a number of years over the geographical distribution of its students in which it has been compared unfavourably with Newcastle.

Cutting to the chase Durham has for a long time been a popular choice for privately educated and Oxbridge type candidates. Especially now that universities are unaware (quite rightly imho) of which other institutions a prospective student has applied to I suspect that many private/Oxbridge types are using Durham as a back up. Many of these applicants will be concentrated in the south or south east of England and other pockets of wealthier people..

There will be something of a self fulfilling prophecy going on whereby some potential applicants will be attracted to Durham because of this stereotype and some will be put off by it. My son (sorry to keep using the poor lad as an example lol) had an offer from Durham but declined it because he said he felt that he'd fit in better at a different uni that, in his opinion, offered just as good a course. He said the people (students and staff) there were nice but just not really his scene.

In the end students are just going to go where they feel most comfortable no matter how much you try to socially engineer it.

Quick Reply

Latest