The Student Room Group

Sandwich year, yes or no?

I'm thinking about taking a sandwich year i'm doing chemistry, are the sandwich years worth it. it does increase my chance of getting a job but then again you know what the job prospects are like these days.
Original post by 20z12
I'm thinking about taking a sandwich year i'm doing chemistry, are the sandwich years worth it. it does increase my chance of getting a job but then again you know what the job prospects are like these days.

Yes, definitely. :smile:
I've been on placement recently and I got the chance to speak to quite a few employers. ALL of them said they'd take a student with a sandwich year over a student with no sandwich year/no experience anyday.
Reply 2
Original post by Swords N Thorns
Yes, definitely. :smile:
I've been on placement recently and I got the chance to speak to quite a few employers. ALL of them said they'd take a student with a sandwich year over a student with no sandwich year/no experience anyday.

Oh right, what course are you doing? i'm still in two minds about it.
Original post by 20z12
Oh right, what course are you doing? i'm still in two minds about it.

I'm applying for uni 2014 entry but I was speaking to employers who work in the health/life sciences sector.
Out of interest, what is stopping you from wanting to do a sandwich year?
Reply 4
Original post by Swords N Thorns
I'm applying for uni 2014 entry but I was speaking to employers who work in the health/life sciences sector.
Out of interest, what is stopping you from doing a sandwich year?

It's going to take ages to complete the degree, plus the uni messed my application up a bit and i have to go and sort that tomorrow if i want to do the sandwich year. Everyone says it worth doing but that's only if i get through the first and second year.
Reply 5
anyone else got any views on this?
Reply 6
I would definitely do one if you can. As well as looking more favourable to most employers, it'll also be a great personal experience. I wouldn't worry so much about it taking longer to graduate- you may end up spending a year trying to build up experience anyway, for example.
Reply 7
If you're starting uni when you're 18 then definitely, I'm assuming you're going to get paid of course.
Hi I'm going to be studying an accounting and finance degree this September and have opted for a sandwich year, one year experience is invaluable, you will also most likely get paid for this aswell, I'm sure it won't be to much hassle for you to sort it out with your uni. Many people struggle to find work after finishing their degree but having this years experience will put you in the driving seat to get good paid work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending