The Student Room Group

Withdrawn at the end of Second year, what are my options?

So, I made the fantastic decision of having a boatload of issues during second year and not documenting and letting the relevant people at my Uni know, and as a result I've been withdrawn from my course (I was in Second year) and have been awarded a Certificate of Higher Education.

My question is, what can I do? Given I've got the qualification for one year, is it possible to apply at another institution next year and start at Second year? (As doing another first year anywhere is a no-go, no spare £9000 anywhere).

Is it possible the same University would take me back and allow me to start again from Second year?
Original post by AngryGorilla
So, I made the fantastic decision of having a boatload of issues during second year and not documenting and letting the relevant people at my Uni know, and as a result I've been withdrawn from my course (I was in Second year) and have been awarded a Certificate of Higher Education.

My question is, what can I do? Given I've got the qualification for one year, is it possible to apply at another institution next year and start at Second year? (As doing another first year anywhere is a no-go, no spare £9000 anywhere).

Is it possible the same University would take me back and allow me to start again from Second year?

Did they mention anything like this when they told you about the withdrawal?
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Did they mention anything like this when they told you about the withdrawal?

Nope, just that I was being withdrawn and I would be awarded the Certificate of Higher Education.
Nope, just that I was being withdrawn and I would be awarded the Certificate of Higher Education.

First thing to do is to get onto your personal tutor and have that conversation with them, then.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
First thing to do is to get onto your personal tutor and have that conversation with them, then.

Oh, I didn't know I'd still be able to go and have meetings with them. Cheers. Though I've already gone through the internal appeal processes at my Uni so there's no way I'm getting back in this year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Try your uni's careers advice people (or student services if you have something along those lines), they'll be able to tell you what you can and can't do.

If you don't think you're emotionally/circumstantially able to do it this year maybe think about doing a working gap year.

You could always do an Open University degree part-time (or full-time if you're able to). You'll probably be able to transfer credit from your degree. See http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/ for more info.
Normally when you fail a year like this, you're allowed to retake the year. I suggest asking your personal tutors about retaking, and just starting the year over. SFE will support you for four years.
Reply 7
Original post by hollyart
Try your uni's careers advice people (or student services if you have something along those lines), they'll be able to tell you what you can and can't do.

If you don't think you're emotionally/circumstantially able to do it this year maybe think about doing a working gap year.

You could always do an Open University degree part-time (or full-time if you're able to). You'll probably be able to transfer credit from your degree. See http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/ for more info.

Thanks, definitely gonna consider OU if this doesn't work out.

Original post by FalsettoSlumber
Normally when you fail a year like this, you're allowed to retake the year. I suggest asking your personal tutors about retaking, and just starting the year over. SFE will support you for four years.

Does it depend on your individual circumstances if they let you retake the year?
Does it depend on your individual circumstances if they let you retake the year?

Not usually... every student gets four years undergaduate funding. The spare year is normally for a retake year, provided you haven't had funding for a foundation, or are doing a four year course.

I definitely advise you to get in contact with someone, especially if this is the first time you've heard anything about this. It seems very unfair, to me.
Reply 9
Not usually... every student gets four years undergaduate funding. The spare year is normally for a retake year, provided you haven't had funding for a foundation, or are doing a four year course.

I definitely advise you to get in contact with someone, especially if this is the first time you've heard anything about this. It seems very unfair, to me.

Well, I went through the internal appeal procedures at my University and have been doing this since I got my 2nd year results. (It was a 1st year module that I got withdrawn for)

My appeal got rejected due to me being an idiot and not keeping documents and contact information of things to support my appeal; so it was rejected on a lack of evidence.

It does depend on the circumstances though. If you fail by a little they will probably let you. But if you fail spectacularly most will just turf you out.
Original post by Hedgeman49
It does depend on the circumstances though. If you fail by a little they will probably let you. But if you fail spectacularly most will just turf you out.

I failed my first year beautifully (all three modules; 2 at less than 20%), and they let me retake first year, and transfer to a new course at the same time.
Reply 12
Original post by Hedgeman49

I failed two modules in Year 2, Semester 2 (Normally would've been able to do supplementaries for these, and I thought I'd be able to until I got my results), and one module from first year (The reason I was withdrawn in the first place).

Otherwise it's 2:2s and 2:1s for every other module.

Sorry to be pedantic, but this isn't quite right- Student Finance England fund your undergraduate course plus one year, so if your course is three years, you're able to access funding for four, if it's a four year course, you can get funding for five etc.
Again, sorry for being OCD, but it's a small yet significant difference.
Original post by StefiMarie
Sorry to be pedantic, but this isn't quite right- Student Finance England fund your undergraduate course plus one year, so if your course is three years, you're able to access funding for four, if it's a four year course, you can get funding for five etc.
Again, sorry for being OCD, but it's a small yet significant difference.

Oh yeah, oops! Oops, I actually did know that... ^^; moment of stupidity there...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending