The Student Room Group

Really upset with my A-level results... can I still get to an AAB-BBB uni?

Hi, results day was ages a go and I still can't get over what a bad day it was. I got ACC, my worst case scenario was ABC! I was so sick on that day because of my results. I did get into university, but that course wasn't actually the quality I would've liked. I'm having a year out do to medical issues in January, and I might be retaking my A-levels around my recovery. I had the year out planned since February after I had my offers, anyway. My grades have always suffered due to a long term medical condition, which the medical procedure will resolve.

Is there a chance I'd get an offer from an AAB-BBB university with the grades ACC? :frown: I'm scared to waste my application and get lots of rejections.

For my AS modules, I have ABB...

Sorry, I know people got worse grades than me and I should be happy, but I really don't feel they are good for me at all... and this place, with some of the stuff I've read makes me feel even worse, so I hope I don't make anyone else feel that way.
Original post by Patrick121294
Hi, results day was ages a go and I still can't get over what a bad day it was. I got ACC, my worst case scenario was ABC! I was so sick on that day because of my results. I did get into university, but that course wasn't actually the quality I would've liked. I'm having a year out do to medical issues in January, and I might be retaking my A-levels around my recovery. I had the year out planned since February after I had my offers, anyway. My grades have always suffered due to a long term medical condition, which the medical procedure will resolve.

Is there a chance I'd get an offer from an AAB-BBB university with the grades ACC? :frown: I'm scared to waste my application and get lots of rejections.

Sorry, I know people got worse grades than me and I should be happy, but I really don't feel they are good for me at all... and this place, with some of the stuff I've read makes me feel even worse, so I hope I don't make anyone else feel that way.

You have more of a chance if you retake the modules that you didn't do so well in, but applying to ABB with lower grades than the actual entry requirements is risky, I got 2 rejections by doing so, you could always ring them up first to check, or you could try clearing, but I am not quite sure, good luck though:smile:
Reply 2
The uni I like specifies 300-320 ucas points and I have 280. It's the Queen Mary... what do you think??
All you can do is ask. Some Universities simply weed out anyone not matching the required grades, others read the PS etc first before making a decision. Much of this depends on how popular the course/Uni is and the competition for places. If they think they can get 'better' than you, it unlikely they will be charitable and 'let you in anyway'. It may be worth you retaking the C graded subject - this would at least put you into the ABB bracket.

Btw, a 'range' of grades (ie. 'Offer = AAB/ABB' etc) will mean the lower offer is for 'contextual offers' - for candidates from low performing school/disadvantaged backgrounds, with the higher grades being the standard offer for all other candidates.
Reply 4
Original post by Clayton2k14
Maybe u simply have to accept that your academic life is over lol

Seriously, what you write as a joke will hurt others very badly. Better to say nothing if you don't have anything good to say.
Reply 5

Retaking is the best thing to do. If you really want to apply for universities that require higher grades than you have then you can call them up. I did this prior to applying and there were some universities that said they wouldn't give me an offer. So its best if you call them up to ask because every university is different when it comes to deciding on who to take and who to reject.

Sure,you can . I know a student offering tuition guaranteeing A*AAB.:eek:
Reply 7
Original post by 06llal
Seriously, what you write as a joke will hurt others very badly. Better to say nothing if you don't have anything good to say.

Srry, didn't mean nything by it, hope u don't take it to hart OP :frown:
Reply 8
Well if you take a year out you can always self teach and absolutely smash it and get into whatever Uni you want. I went to Uni @ 20 after taking a gap year and then totally changing course and self teaching new A-levels. I had science A-levels in sixth form and applied to do biochemistry. After a gap year I realised I didn't want to do that course, completely self-taught A-level politics and A-level philosophy in one year, got A's and now am about to enter my 3rd year of political science at the University of Birmingham. I've now recently had a change of heart careers wise and its all looking good. My life is going to be amazing and I am living my dreams. All of this happened because I took my destiny into my own hands and acted to make a change. Anything is possible my friend, you just need to change your mindset. I assure you, you will get into the Uni you want to go to if you have a good plan. I can give advice on the process, just message me. Best of luck, I hope your spirits lift soon.
Reply 9

I'm sure u will be fine i got ABBB at AS and got an offer from my first choice which was AAA. With ACC you could most likely get offers from ABB unis
Reply 10

This happened to me on 2012 results day, so I decided to retake some of my exams in the same college I studied at. I applied through the college and got one of my teachers do to my reference. Even though I already had my a level results I asked my teacher to predict me AAB.
I think you do the same and ask your referee to predict you AAB-BBB
Good Luck:smile:
Thanks guys. Not far of B's in both subjects either, 6 ums points in Geog and 7 in English. I'm sure I can improve with ease. I'm so pissed Jan exams have ceased! QM said they'd consider the retakes.
Reply 12
Thanks guys. Not far of B's in both subjects either, 6 ums points in Geog and 7 in English. I'm sure I can improve with ease. I'm so pissed Jan exams have ceased! QM said they'd consider the retakes.

I think you will be fine, especially as you're close to the next grade up. I got BBCE for AS last year, was close to the next grade up and applied mostly to courses asking for ABB grades. I did a few retakes as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
I would retake the C's. I did awful on my first attempt, I came out with ABE and then a B and an A AS grade.
I decided to delay uni an extra year, and spend the time to try and get my grades up.
This year, I came out with A*ABBE and then also and A and a B AS grades.
They're not amazing grades, but I'm so glad I went back. I've got a place on my dream course at my dream university and I couldn't be happier.
So if I were you, I would re-apply to the places you know you got into this year, put something into your personal statement letting the universities of your plans to retake and then apply to a few of the AAB-BBB universities too. My back-up plan this year was Portsmouth, incase I didn't do well this year and get into Southampton.
I had an offer from Portsmouth last year too, but the entry requirements were low and I knew I could do better. Although it's a great university, I just wouldn't have been happy there. So if you're feeling like that too, don't rest until you get what you want =D
Thanks guys... they'll let me back it seems... the head said that they were very good grades anyway, and if I want to come back I have to improve them. She said I'm taking up time from the current A2 students which I've already had apparently... so she made me feel quite guilty. Strange thing to say...

Well last year I got BBC for my A levels and retook the year and got AAA, I got offers from AAA/AAB courses at universities. So as long as your reference explains your situation and you have a strong p/s you should be alright

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending