The Student Room Group

Oxford Law 2014 Entry and LNAT

Hey everyone!

I am hoping to apply for Oxford and (me, being me), I feel I have left everything a little bit LATE!

My GCSEs are really good - 13A*
Although my AS level is average (but i pray the remarks i submitted boost up my grades) -
AAAA (top 3 UMS avg. - 90)

Subjects I do are - History, Economics, Maths and Govt. & Politics

Does anyone have any advice for my Personal STATEMENT

AND ALSO, ANY ADVICE FOR THE LNAT!!!! I am particularly stressed about the LNAT as I have not looked at it all. But can someone please tell me what a GOOD OXFORD score would be for the multiple choice part which is out of 42.

Anyone else applying for Law at Oxford for 2014 entry, share your thoughts here. any advice? any revision techniques? anything to put on personal statement?

Also any idea of what Oxford colleges to apply for and WHY?

Lastly, can someone tell me about the social life and 'party' life at Oxford. Im curious. Obviously I am not expecting it to be amazing but it can't be as dull as some people perceive it to be.

CAN YOU ALSO GIVE ME ANY LAW BOOKS THAT I CAN READ AND MENTION IN MY PERSONAL STATEMENT OR ANYTHING TO READ THAT CAN HELP WITH WRITING LNAT ESSAYS AND UNDERSTANDING THE PASSAGES

Good luck everyone!!! I pray you all do well :biggrin: :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm applying this year too! For LNAT my friend in the year above who is now about to start Law at UCL said that the Mark Shepard book is the best, so I've ordered that and should come in the next few days. I haven't really looked at it either but I'm intending to take the test on like 10th October, so a month should be enough to prepare :smile: I'm probably going to apply to Oriel College because: 1) it's not the biggest college so I'm hoping it won't be too intimidating 2) they have kitchen facilities (unlike many others!!) and 3) the buildings are beautiful! Have you got any idea where you're going to apply?
I am also applying to study law at Oxford, not sure which college yet! I've nearly finished my personal statement! Generally, Oxbridge aren't really interested in your hobbies and achievements, they just want academics, work experience and things like that. Make sure that you say why it is that you want to study law and particularly the aspects that interest you most.
As for the lNat, generally above half marks (21/42) is seen as a good mark but for Oxford, try and aim slightly higher..maybe 25+. I am trying to do that anyway! But remember, your essay is important too, along with your grades, Personal Statement and teacher reference!
Good Luck :smile::smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BossKay
Hey everyone!

I am hoping to apply for Oxford and (me, being me), I feel I have left everything a little bit LATE!

My GCSEs are really good - 13A*
Although my AS level is average (but i pray the remarks i submitted boost up my grades) -
AAAA (top 3 UMS avg. - 90)

Subjects I do are - History, Economics, Maths and Govt. & Politics

Does anyone have any advice for my Personal STATEMENT

AND ALSO, ANY ADVICE FOR THE LNAT!!!! I am particularly stressed about the LNAT as I have not looked at it all. But can someone please tell me what a GOOD OXFORD score would be for the multiple choice part which is out of 42.

Anyone else applying for Law at Oxford for 2014 entry, share your thoughts here. any advice? any revision techniques? anything to put on personal statement?

Also any idea of what Oxford colleges to apply for and WHY?

Lastly, can someone tell me about the social life and 'party' life at Oxford. Im curious. Obviously I am not expecting it to be amazing but it can't be as dull as some people perceive it to be.

Good luck everyone!!! I pray you all do well :biggrin: :smile:

Oxford don't ask for the ums you got in each exam, so don't worry about how high/low your As are. Grade wise you will be at the top of the pile, so maybe try do some interview practise.

LNAT wise, anything over 25 will be good for Oxford, over 30 will make you an extremely strong candidate. Again try and do a bit of practise for it and reading some of the good quality newspapers to familiarise yourself with the passage format.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I applied to Oxford last year and got in, with an LNAT score of 30/42. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Unsworth
Oxford don't ask for the ums you got in each exam, so don't worry about how high/low your As are. Grade wise you will be at the top of the pile, so maybe try do some interview practise.

LNAT wise, anything over 25 will be good for Oxford, over 30 will make you an extremely strong candidate. Again try and do a bit of practise for it and reading some of the good quality newspapers to familiarise yourself with the passage format.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, thanks for your comment!
Can you give me specific names of papers to read?
Reply 6
Original post by Magdolinska

Hi what a levels did you do and what were your grades
What was the interview like?!
Reply 7
Original post by paperclip345
Hi, I'm applying this year too! For LNAT my friend in the year above who is now about to start Law at UCL said that the Mark Shepard book is the best, so I've ordered that and should come in the next few days. I haven't really looked at it either but I'm intending to take the test on like 10th October, so a month should be enough to prepare :smile: I'm probably going to apply to Oriel College because: 1) it's not the biggest college so I'm hoping it won't be too intimidating 2) they have kitchen facilities (unlike many others!!) and 3) the buildings are beautiful! Have you got any idea where you're going to apply?

Thanks! I am now ordering that LNAT book :biggrin:
But still not sure as to what College :frown:
Hi, I'm also applying for Law for 2014. I did my first LNAT paper the other day and got 24 which I'm told was alright but I don't know who to give my essay to! I might try my History/ Politics teacher :smile: when's your test?
Reply 9
Original post by iheartdjokovic
Hi, I'm also applying for Law for 2014. I did my first LNAT paper the other day and got 24 which I'm told was alright but I don't know who to give my essay to! I might try my History/ Politics teacher :smile: when's your test?

I thought you do the essay under timed conditions in the actual exam?
Original post by BossKay
I thought you do the essay under timed conditions in the actual exam?

Yeah, I did it under exam conditions but I mean I don't know whether it's actually any good or not because there's no mark scheme in the book I have
Reply 11
Original post by BossKay
Hello, thanks for your comment!
Can you give me specific names of papers to read?

Guardian/Times/Telegraph will be suitable. I quite liked the economist myself however, but any of those should be useful. Whether reading a paper actually does help is speculative, but it certainly won't do you any harm.
Reply 12
Original post by Magdolinska

When you applied did you put your UMS score for modules on UCAS?
Reply 13
Hey guys

im going for law and Spanish at St. John's college oxford. I did myp as opposed to gcse's (anyone else out there???) and got 61/63. I'm predicted 43 points in ib.

I sat my lnat on Friday and am really nervous for those results. Does anyone know when they might come out?

Regards
Reply 14
Original post by Wilmoody
Hey guys

im going for law and Spanish at St. John's college oxford. I did myp as opposed to gcse's (anyone else out there???) and got 61/63. I'm predicted 43 points in ib.

I sat my lnat on Friday and am really nervous for those results. Does anyone know when they might come out?

Regards

Early February 2014.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Early February 2014.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow so a while I find out about them. What are you applying for?
Reply 16
Original post by Wilmoody
Oh wow so a while I find out about them. What are you applying for?

Law at LSE/KCL/Durham/Bristol/Exeter, you?
Reply 17
Can someone be realistic and tell me my chances of getting in to Oxford to study Law.

GCSE's: 2A* 8A's and a C
AS LEVEL: AAAC =(English lit, history, econ, psychology) dropped psychology

Also how hard is the LNAT? Any tips? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Law at LSE/KCL/Durham/Bristol/Exeter, you?

Nice. I'm going for law and Spanish at UCL, Bristol, LSE and Durham. Do you fancy your chances? I can't really tell if my application will be laughed at by the oxford admissions board or if I'm actually a genuine contender! Exciting times!!
Original post by dessine-moi
Has anyone not received the latest notification from their college? Came across some posts on the other threads about people receiving an acknowledgement of sorts just a few days ago (on top of the one they sent right after ucas submission)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't, I imagine it varies from college to college :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending