The Student Room Group

Do UCAS keep me on their systems/records?

Hey guys!

Today I had a meeting with a few teachers from my school with regards to university and careers, I'm of course wanting to do either biomedicine or medicine, however my AS grades this year wasn't quite enough to apply for medicine, however I was informed that I still have the chance to study biomedicine if I wanted to (ABBC at AS).

When I mentioned about applying for this year to Biomedicine, and if I get 5 rejections to just go ahead and apply next year for medicine, they said that it wouldn't be worth sharing my grades with UCAS because it'll stay on their system, and when it came to apply for medicine the year after, they would see that I have ABBC and answer questions about resits etc.

I of course think this is ridiculous if true, but wanted to ask if anyone has any information on this, as I'm sitting here thinking I'm wasting an application cycle by not applying for Biomed.

Cheers :smile:
Bixel
You have to declare ALL your exams results for UCAS. So whenever you apply and for whatever course, the University concerned will be able to view your AS results.
Original post by tobethebest
Nope, I called UCAS and asked, and they said previous applications do not affect future applications and they do not have any system to keep the scores. Plus, if they did have that system, their server would have to be gigantic haha

They're not telling you the truth - I can see applications (including achieved, predicted and exam board provided grades) back as far as 2009 on UCASs systems.

They're right in that previous applications don't *usually* get considered, but the OP would be taking resits which he would have to declare on his UCAS statement anyway (it'd be obvious because his A levels would be spread over 3 years).

In other words OP - your teachers are talking nonsense, but also you can't "hide" your AS grades or taking an extra year to get your A levels.
Reply 3
Original post by Bixel
Hey guys!

Today I had a meeting with a few teachers from my school with regards to university and careers, I'm of course wanting to do either biomedicine or medicine, however my AS grades this year wasn't quite enough to apply for medicine, however I was informed that I still have the chance to study biomedicine if I wanted to (ABBC at AS).

When I mentioned about applying for this year to Biomedicine, and if I get 5 rejections to just go ahead and apply next year for medicine, they said that it wouldn't be worth sharing my grades with UCAS because it'll stay on their system, and when it came to apply for medicine the year after, they would see that I have ABBC and answer questions about resits etc.

I of course think this is ridiculous if true, but wanted to ask if anyone has any information on this, as I'm sitting here thinking I'm wasting an application cycle by not applying for Biomed.

Bixel

As long as your teachers predict you with AAA you can still apply for medicine this year. People have got offers with lower AS grades than you. Most medical schools don't care about resits as long as they are taken within the two years.
out of interest, if someone resat a jan unit, would they have to declare it?
Original post by AspiringGenius

There is an entire thread devoted to declaring grades on UCAS - the first post is very clear.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719
Reply 6
Sorry I may have used the wrong words in my original post.
I'm not resitting my AS, but rather retaking the exams in the same time frame as I'm tAking my A2 exams!

Well I have no idea what on earth my teacher is on about. Is it still worth applying this year then? I was going to apply for the non-entrance exam med Uni's, along with two for biomedicine, just to see whether I'm successful or not.

Other than that, I'd love to do a gap year and do a few pre-us or one or two a2s while I wait until 2015 entry!
Reply 7
Original post by AspiringGenius

Nope. I resat Jan, didn't declare it and got into Imperial
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
They're not telling you the truth - I can see applications (including achieved, predicted and exam board provided grades) back as far as 2009 on UCASs systems.

They're right in that previous applications don't *usually* get considered, but the OP would be taking resits which he would have to declare on his UCAS statement anyway (it'd be obvious because his A levels would be spread over 3 years).

In other words OP - your teachers are talking nonsense, but also you can't "hide" your AS grades or taking an extra year to get your A levels.

Hmm really?

Maybe because I asked them about IB grades, rather than UK Alevels so I dont know for sure. They only keep scores from A level boards?

But why would UCAS lie to me?
Original post by WGR
Nope. I resat Jan, didn't declare it and got into Imperial

UCAS consider what you did as fraud - and they take this very seriously.

I suggest that in future you keep this fact to yourself. It is certainly nothing to feel smug about.
Reply 10
Original post by returnmigrant
UCAS consider what you did as fraud - and they take this very seriously.

I suggest that in future you keep this fact to yourself. It is certainly nothing to feel smug about.

It's only fraud if you have any chance of being caught. copying music is fraudulent but it is not considered so because you have virtually no chance of being caught. I'm real smug.
Original post by Bixel
Hey guys!

Bixel

First of i want to say, you will hear alot of b**ls**t while trying to find information about trying to apply for uni especially if medicine is involved.

Now your grades ABBC were exactly what I achieved at A/S and i went on to get A*A*Ab (bumping my c at A/S to a b). So don't fret because if you put work in you will do better than you did in your A/S the main reason is because GCSEs doesn't prepare you well for A/S. Some people may do well straight off but then again they may have put more work into their A/S.

As for as retakes are concerned as long as you achieve your final Alevel grades in 2 years after GCSE its fine for Oxbridge and Medicine (so obviously everywhere else doesn't mind either), and will put you at no disadvantage.

And finally applying for medicine needs to be a decision made well in advanced i didn't realise this the first time I applied as result i wasn't ready and was rejected. Important things in order of importance are:
UKCAT/BMAT
Personal Statement
A-Levels
GCSEs 5+ excluding BTECs (a few medical schools have GCSE requirements but you information on that is available on their website.)
Then on receiving an interview a decent interview performance is required if academics are great, or a great interview is required if academics just meet the boundaries.

Hope this helps and good luck applying for whatever you decide.
Reply 12
Original post by AAA_
First of i want to say, you will hear alot of b**ls**t while trying to find information about trying to apply for uni especially if medicine is involved.

Now your grades ABBC were exactly what I achieved at A/S and i went on to get A*A*Ab (bumping my c at A/S to a b). So don't fret because if you put work in you will do better than you did in your A/S the main reason is because GCSEs doesn't prepare you well for A/S. Some people may do well straight off but then again they may have put more work into their A/S.

As for as retakes are concerned as long as you achieve your final Alevel grades in 2 years after GCSE its fine for Oxbridge and Medicine (so obviously everywhere else doesn't mind either), and will put you at no disadvantage.

And finally applying for medicine needs to be a decision made well in advanced i didn't realise this the first time I applied as result i wasn't ready and was rejected. Important things in order of importance are:
UKCAT/BMAT
Personal Statement
A-Levels
GCSEs 5+ excluding BTECs (a few medical schools have GCSE requirements but you information on that is available on their website.)
Then on receiving an interview a decent interview performance is required if academics are great, or a great interview is required if academics just meet the boundaries.

Hope this helps and good luck applying for whatever you decide.

Exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you!
Yeah, definitely wasn't prepared for A/S this year and this really was predominantly due to my work ethic, as I thought that my revision techniques that I used for GCSE would be fine at AS. Clearly not!

Already starting going over my topics from AS now, hopefully it'll be enough starting now rather than next May!

Cheers though AAA_, I may PM you later to ask you a few Q's if that's okay with you :smile:
I was just wondering about declaring U grades at AS. I got a U in physics and I'm applying for zoology. Do I have to still declare that U even though it's not technically a grade??
Original post by Marzipan007
I was just wondering about declaring U grades at AS. I got a U in physics and I'm applying for zoology. Do I have to still declare that U even though it's not technically a grade??

Read the first post on the stickied thread in this forum called "Declaring grades on UCAS".

The declaration you sign up to when sending your application asks you to confirm that you've entered ALL qualifications even fails/Us.
Okay thanks
Okay thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending