The Student Room Group

preferred name at university

hiii ! so, i’m trans and i’m wondering how i can use my preferred name at university my legal name is on all my official records and emails but i put my preferred name in my ucas application, will this automatically mean my teachers at university will have my preferred name on my records or will i need to contact them about it ?
Usually that's what will happen but each university will have their own systems and processes.
If you're worried then get in touch with the various universities and ask them what will appear on registers/email address etc
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Usually that's what will happen but each university will have their own systems and processes.
If you're worried then get in touch with the various universities and ask them what will appear on registers/email address etc

okay perfect thank you (:
Original post by i4pup
hiii ! so, i’m trans and i’m wondering how i can use my preferred name at university my legal name is on all my official records and emails but i put my preferred name in my ucas application, will this automatically mean my teachers at university will have my preferred name on my records or will i need to contact them about it ?

Hi! Congratulations for getting into university! For peace of mind, I would probably contact the university to see if they have your preferred name on record for use. I can’t imagine there’d be any issue though! 😊

Hope this helps

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
Original post by i4pup

I would hope that your application information would have been imported from UCAS into your university's "applicants" system, and would, when you join, be imported into their student record system.

I would expect that as part of the enrollment process, the university will show you your personal details and ask you to confirm that they're correct (and tell you what to do if anything needs changing). There should be a way for you to provide a "known as" name, if you prefer to be known by some name other than your first forename.

The university would then, I suspect, use your "known as" name for most purposes; but there might be particular things for which they would use your "legal name" (probably for official/legal/regulatory purposes).

It's very common for people to provide a known-as name: e.g. "William" wanting to be called "Bill"; people who go by their second forename rather than their first; people who go by a nickname rather than any of their official names; etc.

But as @PQ says, different universities have their own systems and processes, and some will not be as closely integrated as one might hope, they would be in 2023!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending