The Student Room Group

Help with UCAS application please?

I am currently completing my UCAS application. I am applying to one London uni but I'm not sure whether I want to stay at home or not. On the application it asks whether I want to live at home while studying and I'm not sure yet. If I put yes for now can I change it later when I actually get an offer and will I be less likely to get uni accomodation?
Reply 1
God you've left it late! I start in 6 days o.O no you cannot change it later. Pjck what you feel will nurture growing as a person but give you support.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by lorobolorolo
I am currently completing my UCAS application. I am applying to one London uni but I'm not sure whether I want to stay at home or not. On the application it asks whether I want to live at home while studying and I'm not sure yet. If I put yes for now can I change it later when I actually get an offer and will I be less likely to get uni accomodation?

If it was me, I'd probably put that I wasn't going to stay at home, it seems like it'd be easier to change it to yes, than to no. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by iPolka
God you've left it late! I start in 6 days o.O no you cannot change it later. Pjck what you feel will nurture growing as a person but give you support.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have not left it till late cause I'm applying for September 2014 start. So I'm basically just starting my application and I'm not sure yet because I still have a year to think about it.
I have not left it till late cause I'm applying for September 2014 start. So I'm basically just starting my application and I'm not sure yet because I still have a year to think about it.

You have until Jan 15th to submit your application, so I'd be inclined to sit on the decision for a bit until things become clearer.
Hey,

If I was you I'd click no and then even if you decide you do want to live at home it would be easier to decline the room the university will save for you than rushing around later trying to find a spare room.

Also, although you have until January the 15th to apply, I'd get your application in ASAP as many universities, although they're not supposed to, give offers out much earlier- so it would be better to get in the first batch of applications.

Good luck with everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Whisky_Thrills
Hey,

If I was you I'd click no and then even if you decide you do want to live at home it would be easier to decline the room the university will save for you than rushing around later trying to find a spare room.

Also, although you have until January the 15th to apply, I'd get your application in ASAP as many universities, although they're not supposed to, give offers out much earlier- so it would be better to get in the first batch of applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, they do give out offers earlier, but it has no bearing on anyone who gets their application in before the Jan 15th deadline, as the universities are bound by regulations to treat all applications which meet that deadline equally. Better to take the time to think through your application than to rush it and then find you have made a decision which can't be changed when you change your mind.
Hey,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Universities are allowed to give out offers whenever they want. All they have to do is give equal consideration to everyone who applies before the deadline. Most universities give out way more offers than they have places, as they know people won't accept the offers, and some won't make the grades for their offers. They know roughly how many applications to expect each year, and even roughly how many suitable applications they will get.

This means universities can give out offers to the best applicants straight away if they wish to, but may leave borderline applicants waiting until after the Jan 15th deadline has passed.

If you are unsure about any part of your application, it is better not to rush things, as some aspects of the application can be difficult to change, once you have commited to them.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Universities are allowed to give out offers whenever they want. All they have to do is give equal consideration to everyone who applies before the deadline. Most universities give out way more offers than they have places, as they know people won't accept the offers, and some won't make the grades for their offers. They know roughly how many applications to expect each year, and even roughly how many suitable applications they will get.

This means universities can give out offers to the best applicants straight away if they wish to, but may leave borderline applicants waiting until after the Jan 15th deadline has passed.

If you are unsure about any part of your application, it is better not to rush things, as some aspects of the application can be difficult to change, once you have commited to them.

Let's keep on plugging away at this message!
Reply 9
Hey,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you ur reply was really helpful and I think I'm gonna just put no.
Reply 10
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You have until Jan 15th to submit your application, so I'd be inclined to sit on the decision for a bit until things become clearer.

I don't really have too much time to think about it because I'm planning on applying for medicine. Our deadline is on the 15th of october and our school actually want our application in by two weeks.
I don't really have too much time to think about it because I'm planning on applying for medicine. Our deadline is on the 15th of october and our school actually want our application in by two weeks.

That's different then, I'm afraid. I would say to put living away in that case. Easier to change to staying at home than to have to organise accommodation later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending