The Student Room Group

extenuating circumstances

Hi I just wanted some help to clarify some things. During my AS year I went through a difficult time at school and at home. It affected me to the point where I was extremely stressed and couldn't achieve my full potential and I only achieved AABC at AS after gaining 10 A*s at GCSE. Its really annoying and stressful trying to apply to university at the moment with those grades especially as I would like to got to a *respected* university. At the moment my predictions are AAB and I was just wondering what would count as extenuating circumstances and also if I would be able to apply to a university which would like AAA and get an offer? I know I didn't do well at all last year, but my circumstances have changed now and I know I can achieve at least AAA. Last year was very difficult and my confidence was knocked. I just want to know the best I can do right now in terms of university choices.
Reply 1
EC forms can be found on uni websites. They only really seem to prove effective though if you have some solid proof (e.g. an official diagnosis) to show that you were genuinely affected. From that stage, it can vary drastically from uni to uni how they respond to your application. Although, I'm sure you'll do fine- and uni's will hopefully see that you had genuine reasons :smile:
Your referee should mention the circumstances which affected you last year and therefore why their predictions might be out of line with your AS grades.

EC only really applies to stuff that will affect your A2 grades, ie. anything happening now. This is because you actually had the opportunity to retake/improve your AS grades. Each Uni does however view these things differently and you should check with each Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending