The Student Room Group

Girls that don't text back after giving number, why?

I've obtained countless phone numbers on my many nights out. And while this does give me a temporary swelling of the ego, I've found quite often, about a quarter to a third of the time the female either does not respond when I attempt to engage her in conversation. Either that, or she's very short with her responses in what I perceive as an attempt to kill the conversation. I suppose in those situations you can turn it around, though it's unlikely.

It's quite odd really, sometimes occurs even after sharing an intimate moment with the girl. So what is it ladies? Is it that you find us less attractive later? Or is it because you assume the guy is after only one thing? Is it that the guy doesn't compare to the number of other guys trying to seduce you into accommodating their penis? Or perhaps you see it as no more than a mutual swell of the ego?

I mean surely it would make more sense to just not give your number out, or at least give a fake one. I honestly don't bother texting numbers anymore, not unless the woman happens to be a lot more attractive than my average intake. I'm referring mainly to night time escapades of course, day time conquests have a much greater success rate.

Go ahead ladies.
Reply 1
Yo bro, doesn't it come to mind that if you are not getting responses 'a quarter to a third of the time' that they did actually give you a fake number? -_-
Reply 2
Original post by Capn cas
Yo bro, doesn't it come to mind that if you are not getting responses 'a quarter to a third of the time' that they did actually give you a fake number? -_-

9/10 times these days there's a whatsapp profile to confirm.

And anyway I'm asked to drop call/message there and then so they know it's me.
Reply 3
There are many reasons a girl might not text back, particularly if she was drunk when she gave it out. She might not remember you, not really like you that much but just acted that way drunk, be embarrassed that she was so 'easy' and assume if you still want her after that then that's what you want rather than a relationship, or where you don't get a response it could be that they did give out a fake number.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
That's precisely why I don't take numbers from girls on nights out T. I prefer to give them my number - putting the onus on them to contact me if they feel like it. Helps me separate the timewasters tbh.
Do you mean you ask them for their number and they give it to you, or do they give it to you without you asking?

Because I've been asked for my number and felt very under pressure to give it to them (especially when they say "I'll drop call you right now", because that rules out giving a fake number). I was once asked for my number while waiting (alone) at a bus stop in south London at 4 am. I didn't want to give it out but I felt very pressured to in that situation. I'm not saying you ask girls for their numbers at dark bus stops in isolated areas lol, I'm just saying they might feel under pressure.

Or it could just be that they're too polite to say no?
Reply 6
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Do you mean you ask them for their number and they give it to you, or do they give it to you without you asking?

The former usually. I mean I don't just do it out right, I'll converse and joke about a bit first, and ask when I feel the moments right.

It could be they feel pressured to actually. I mean I'd like to think I don't come off as intimidating, but it could also be that they wanna spare my feelings? Who knows.

This isn't just me btw, this happens to all guys I know.
There are lots of possible reasons.

1. They were drunk and don't remember enough about you to want to talk to you.
2. They were drunk and have since decided that they're not actually that keen on you.
3. If someone asks for your number, it's often just easier to give it and then not contact them than get into a conversation about why you don't want to give them your number etc.
4. They've met someone they like more since then.

That's just a few reasons I can think of off the top of my head.
Reply 8
Honestly, girls are brought up from a young age to avoid confrontation and be accommodating. If a guy asked for my number on a night out after I'd been chatting to him I sort of feel obliged to give it to him, it avoids the awkward situation if you say no and they start asking why. You don't want someone to get angry or annoyed at you. Plus I've had guys call the number there and then to check its not a fake, so I end up giving my real number.
They're giving you their number just to get rid of you. It's easier than saying no

unswell that ego
I've done it before, just beer goggles/drunk enthusiasm. Was really stupid as it was at uni and I saw her everywhere, served me right for not being a gentleman.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending