The Student Room Group

Medical deferrals

Hello,
My boyfriend has been looking to join the army for a very long time.He applied two years ago but got medically deferred due to a past history of migraines, after his two year deferral he is now applying again. He hasn't had migraines for two years so he will pass regarding that. The new potential problem is he went to his doctor regarding dry skin on his head, and was diagnosed with seborrhoeic dermatitis the problem is isolated to his head and his only symptoms are dry skin it causes him NO pain, itchiness, or discomfort and quite frankly I think he was misdiagnosed anyway. After researching everywhere we are fully aware that their are four main skin disorders that are not accepted in the army (atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema) Since the boyfriend does not have one of these on the list and the symptoms he has are so mild I don't see why it would be a problem. But I am also aware the army has a very strict set of rules and protocols to follow and respect that if they say it's a problem..then it is. I'm putting this post up to see if anyone else has had an experience with this and has any information regarding their application and acceptance.

Thank you for your time!

:bl: :bl: :bl:
Reply 1
Hi

I've put up a lot of bits about the medical process over today if you have a search for my posts you'll see what it will be like for a pre existing condition or any concerns Capita who do the recruitment now medical wise might have.
Original post by Turbo_Crow
Hi

I've put up a lot of bits about the medical process over today if you have a search for my posts you'll see what it will be like for a pre existing condition or any concerns Capita who do the recruitment now medical wise might have.

Hey I had a look at all your posts, but they all seem to be about RAF. There is also nothing about seborrhoeic dermatitis. Thanks for the help anyway :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by behindblueglass
Hey I had a look at all your posts, but they all seem to be about RAF. There is also nothing about seborrhoeic dermatitis. Thanks for the help anyway :smile:

I very much doubt you're going to get anybody who's had the exact same thing. What you are going to be able to find is anecdotal evidence of people going through the same kind of process.
The Forces, generally, run things on a very similar basis.
A skin condition like the one he has - even if in his case it's minor - is likely to be a negative thing. If it's considered he may need treatment on a regular basis, even if that's something as minor as a cream, then it'll almost certainly be an instant no.

However, the only way to find out is to apply. Nobody here is a medical officer, nobody here is in Army recruitment so nobody here will tell you, for certain, one way or another. Any information anyone else might have will be largely redundant. It's his application that matters, not anybody else's.
Original post by Drewski
I very much doubt you're going to get anybody who's had the exact same thing. What you are going to be able to find is anecdotal evidence of people going through the same kind of process.
The Forces, generally, run things on a very similar basis.
A skin condition like the one he has - even if in his case it's minor - is likely to be a negative thing. If it's considered he may need treatment on a regular basis, even if that's something as minor as a cream, then it'll almost certainly be an instant no.

However, the only way to find out is to apply. Nobody here is a medical officer, nobody here is in Army recruitment so nobody here will tell you, for certain, one way or another. Any information anyone else might have will be largely redundant. It's his application that matters, not anybody else's.

Well he's going to apply anyway and also talk to his doctor to re-evaluate the diagnosis. Hopefully it will all work out, thanks for the advice
Reply 5
Original post by behindblueglass

It's still a medical condition though, right? Capita do Army recruitment as well.

Quick Reply

Latest