The Student Room Group

HELP : Go for name or go for course?

Hi there!
Greetings from Malaysia.

I'm having an internal dilemma choosing my universities. I've already sent my UCAS application in to my teacher, but she has yet to approve it with and provide a reference.

I plan to study Physics and Philosophy in Bristol or Kings or UCL. York and Nottingham are my insurances. My grades are fairly good, predicted 3A*s for Phys, Chem and Further Maths, but only received an A for my A2 level mathematics.

Now, I have had my mother, teachers and close family friends tell me that university name is super important when it comes to job prospects, which is why I had applied to UCL because it has a strong name, and so does Kings.

My mother is pushing for me to go to UCL, but it doesn't offer the direct Phys and Phil MSci course, so I would have to do instead of a 4 year masters in Physics and Philosophy, a 6-8 year course with a PhD in either Philosophy or Physics and a masters in the other, assuming I get an offer of course. Kings only offers a 4 year Bachelors with one year abroad Physics and Philosophy; still not a masters. Bristol offers the exact course I want. Eventually, I'm going to end up picking the one my mother picks because she's paying for it, likely going to be UCL unless I can convince her otherwise. My mother's reasoning? "Employers care little for what you learned in university and more about what course you have done and where you came from."

Should I listen to this advice? I mean she did come from Monash(Aus) and worked as a head auditor in PWC Malaysia before she had my older brother and me. If you don't think so, how can I convince her that Bristol(the dream) is the right place for me? My brother also says studying in the city in UCL or Kings is the best option (he's in Imperial. He likes to keep a watchful eye on me because he feels empowered by it). But I still want to go to Bristol. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! And is there a future in Physics and Philosophy?
Quite honestly I'd focus on the fact Bristol is bloody highly regarded.
Reply 2
Original post by Little Boots
Quite honestly I'd focus on the fact Bristol is bloody highly regarded.

That's what I thought but my mother said it was only top 15. Not top 10 *typical asian families*. Thanks for the reply I think I'm managing to convince her to choose Bristol.
Original post by redzlanj
That's what I thought but my mother said it was only top 15. Not top 10 *typical asian families*. Thanks for the reply I think I'm managing to convince her to choose Bristol.

Good lad. I really hope you manage to go where YOU want to go. Sorry that no one else replied but what can you say - she just needs to back down.
Actually, Bristol has a better name than King's here and I thought Bristol had a higher ranking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by redzlanj
Hi there!
Greetings from Malaysia.

I'm having an internal dilemma choosing my universities. I've already sent my UCAS application in to my teacher, but she has yet to approve it with and provide a reference.

I plan to study Physics and Philosophy in Bristol or Kings or UCL. York and Nottingham are my insurances. My grades are fairly good, predicted 3A*s for Phys, Chem and Further Maths, but only received an A for my A2 level mathematics.

Now, I have had my mother, teachers and close family friends tell me that university name is super important when it comes to job prospects, which is why I had applied to UCL because it has a strong name, and so does Kings.

My mother is pushing for me to go to UCL, but it doesn't offer the direct Phys and Phil MSci course, so I would have to do instead of a 4 year masters in Physics and Philosophy, a 6-8 year course with a PhD in either Philosophy or Physics and a masters in the other, assuming I get an offer of course. Kings only offers a 4 year Bachelors with one year abroad Physics and Philosophy; still not a masters. Bristol offers the exact course I want. Eventually, I'm going to end up picking the one my mother picks because she's paying for it, likely going to be UCL unless I can convince her otherwise. My mother's reasoning? "Employers care little for what you learned in university and more about what course you have done and where you came from."

Should I listen to this advice? I mean she did come from Monash(Aus) and worked as a head auditor in PWC Malaysia before she had my older brother and me. If you don't think so, how can I convince her that Bristol(the dream) is the right place for me? My brother also says studying in the city in UCL or Kings is the best option (he's in Imperial. He likes to keep a watchful eye on me because he feels empowered by it). But I still want to go to Bristol. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! And is there a future in Physics and Philosophy?

Get your mother to look at student satisfaction levels as well as ratings, look at the graduate employment percentages etc etc

You can do that on unistats.direct.gov.uk
You can compare them on here too! I think there's another one called 'whatuni'

sorry I can't be much help!
Reply 6
Original post by yl95
Actually, Bristol has a better name than King's here and I thought Bristol had a higher ranking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although in some national tables Bristol is ranked higher than King's, internationally King's is often better regarded. For instance in the latest QS world rankings King's was ranked 19th and Bristol 30th. - although the fact of the matter is they're both great uni's and at the end of the day degrees from both are highly (and equally) respected.

If the Bristol course is clearly more suited to your needs than go for it, but if there's not much difference I'd choose one of the London uni's. But that's just my opinion, good luck!
Reply 7
Bristol is, and has historically been, one of the most prestigious UK universities for generations. It is regularly one of the choices of Oxbridge candidates. For your subjects it is on a par with UCL (and any difference is pretty much down to research assessment). As an undergrad I would want to place more emphasis on job prospects than research assessment, I would think. The two universities are so close that if you have a strong preference for one then that should swing it. Incidentally aren't both of them streets ahead of Monash?
Your mum is correct that university name is important in getting a job (though it's far from the be-all and end-all).

However, Bristol is a fantastic university, and you're not going to find that a Bristol graduate is passed over for a UCL graduate simply because of what uni they went to. In the real world, they're on a par.

Now, I suggest that you have a couple of options with regards to persuading her
1. Point out that league tables are a load of nonsense that shouldn't be taken seriously (see this excellent post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372 )
2. Find a league table that suits your argument
e.g. CUG physics http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Physics+%26+Astronomy
CUG philosophy http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Philosophy
Both of those CUG tables show UCL and Bristol as being pretty much on a par.

But perhaps the most important reason for choosing Bristol? Employers care most about what degree classification (grade) you get. If you enjoy your course more, you'll be more motivated to work harder, so you'll get better grades, so you'll have better career opportunities.

Also, Bristol is a much nicer place to live in than London, and far cheaper too :wink:
Reply 9
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have decided that I'm definitely choosing Bristol if I get in and I think I've convinced my mum with your help. Have a lovely day all of you :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending