The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance for Newcastle uni Psychology?! My mental health relies on this >.<

So I am not going to talk and talk about my mental health problems and stuff but basically I NEED to stay in Newcastle it would make my life so much easier than going somewhere else (mentally, for MANY reasons which I'm not going into)

Anyway my P.S focuses more on Psychology than the roles I have had in terms of responsibility, I haven't any room to talk about my contribution to Medsoc, yearbook and go green.

But apparently my first and last paragraphs are really really good and it's clear I have done research into things in my P.S

I am predicted AAB but probably will get ABB and I take Psychology, Biology and Chemistry, so my minimum entry requirement would be ABB at Newcastle
I got A's in Chem and Bio at GCSE and B's in Maths, English and Physics (not my best subjects lol)

I am privately educated not that I think that matters but I was told that private school/public/boarding school student applicants were looked at in a more nicer light if that even makes sense than state school student applicants but I doubt that gah I am just really nervous I have SOOO MUCH that relies on this >.<

Scroll to see replies

Your PS SHOULD focus more on your interest in the subject than your roles/responsibilities - FAR more. Your psychology stuff should take up at least 2/3 of your PS
Original post by *Interrobang*
Your PS SHOULD focus more on your interest in the subject than your roles/responsibilities - FAR more. Your psychology stuff should take up at least 2/3 of your PS

Okay that's great news for me :smile:
Original post by PrivateSchoolFTW
I am privately educated not that I think that matters but I was told that private school/public/boarding school student applicants were looked at in a more nicer light if that even makes sense than state school student applicants but I doubt that gah I am just really nervous I have SOOO MUCH that relies on this >.<

If this were true (it's not lol) you should be angry about it. Whether it gives you an advantage or not - wouldn't it be terrible to give you positive discrimination just because of your rich parents?
Original post by Little Boots
If this were true (it's not lol) you should be angry about it. Whether it gives you an advantage or not - wouldn't it be terrible to give you positive discrimination just because of your rich parents?

-deleted-
(edited 10 years ago)
No I feel it's well deserved, my parent had to work so HARD to get where they are now. My mum didn't grow up ans go to medical in the UK, she didn't take 4 AS and 3 A2 (or whatever equivalent it was in those days) she had to do every subject, and my dad, at A2 where they came from. My dad probably had it easier studying engineering here but my mum had to work her socks off in medical school where she was from. Now thanks to them I have this life, the best thing that could happen is their efforts could help me in any possible way.

But it doesn't seem "right" to be real if that makes any sense so it aint real basically FFS IT SHOULD BE

Lol absolutely ridiculous. One of the worst pieces of **** I've ever read. Because your parents worked hard you should have an advantage over other schoolkids? Private school kids should have an advantage just for being private school? As well as all the advantages of private school anyway like how statistically kids of the same intelligence get better grades when they go private (mommy and daddy buying As, cool).

You elitist ****. ****ing piece of unlikeable ****, Newcastle can do better than you.
-deleted-

Too late for that.
BASHASHAHAHHAA deal wit it BOOM
Wouldn't you want to put some effort in then if your parents worked so hard for you, I mean with all your advantages in life surely you could do better than ABB?
Reply 9
If staying in Newcastle is so important, could you consider distance learning ? I knew a guy who did this and studied from home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

SOME universities do take this into account as private schools are better then public and so they expect you to get better. However if you can prove that you have a mental health issue (and can get a doctor to write a letter) then you should defiantly contact the university and most of the universities will take that into consideration. Your results are good and so I hope you get in but as I say, make sure you contact the university if you have a letter to prove it. :wink:
Reply 11

Sorry but being from a private school actually puts you at a slight disadvantage as you didn't have to work as hard for your good grades as state school students. You're pushed by your teachers to get extremely good results, whereas a state school kid has to push himself and make himself work for it. State schools push you to get to a B, the extra bit is done by yourself.
Reply 12
Lol absolutely ridiculous. One of the worst pieces of **** I've ever read. Because your parents worked hard you should have an advantage over other schoolkids? Private school kids should have an advantage just for being private school? As well as all the advantages of private school anyway like how statistically kids of the same intelligence get better grades when they go private (mommy and daddy buying As, cool).

You elitist ****. ****ing piece of unlikeable ****, Newcastle can do better than you.

Her name is 'private school ftw' so you have to expect that kind of reply. Absolute snob. Could not agree with you more.
Original post by CRW1996
Her name is 'private school ftw' so you have to expect that kind of reply. Absolute snob. Could not agree with you more.

Cheers. I'm not happy with how I came across in it now, but I was incredibly furious when I typed it yesterday. It's a shame people still think like that. Ah well, onwards and upwards, hey.
Original post by x__justmyluck
Wouldn't you want to put some effort in then if your parents worked so hard for you, I mean with all your advantages in life surely you could do better than ABB?

firstly, the grades isnt the problem here, its if they will consider me, i am new to this whole psychology application thing as i was originally a medical applicant
Original post by Alien41
If staying in Newcastle is so important, could you consider distance learning ? I knew a guy who did this and studied from home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for th suggestion but thats not happening why would someone do that >.<
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
SOME universities do take this into account as private schools are better then public and so they expect you to get better. However if you can prove that you have a mental health issue (and can get a doctor to write a letter) then you should defiantly contact the university and most of the universities will take that into consideration. Your results are good and so I hope you get in but as I say, make sure you contact the university if you have a letter to prove it. :wink:

wow all of that for this :/ do they even have to know that i suffer from a mental disorder or that i (well i am going to soon) take medication for it? >.< wont that look realllllly bad!!!!!!!! and too much of a hassle for them!
Original post by Hummi_C
Sorry but being from a private school actually puts you at a slight disadvantage as you didn't have to work as hard for your good grades as state school students. You're pushed by your teachers to get extremely good results, whereas a state school kid has to push himself and make himself work for it. State schools push you to get to a B, the extra bit is done by yourself.

Ummmm you cant say that, do you even go to a private school?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CRW1996

Cheers. I'm not happy with how I came across in it now, but I was incredibly furious when I typed it yesterday. It's a shame people still think like that. Ah well, onwards and upwards, hey.

Lol butthurt much? Why are you still even here, you're polluting my thread.

EDIT: you should check this out https://twitter.com/privateschool96 you should go back a couple months that's when you get to the real POV and peasant craic. Have fun.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Lol butthurt much? Why are you still even here, you're polluting my thread.

EDIT: you should check this out https://twitter.com/privateschool96 you should go back a couple months that's when you get to the real POV and peasant craic. Have fun.

haha, you're pathetic. Recently, universities have been encouraged to set higher targets for students that come from private schools (this is somewhat controversial though) so, if anything, you're at a disadvantage attending a private school.

Quick Reply

Latest