The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

black_mamba
Oh my gosh £1800/1500 for your first bike?! Waaaaay too much. Get a cg125 or sr125 and start from the bottom and work your way up. Get one for around £600 second hand.

Heh, I won't tell you how much mine was:eek: but I did skip the whole 125 stage.:p:
Reply 2681
Lantana
Heh, I won't tell you how much mine was:eek: but I did skip the whole 125 stage.:p:

More than my Gladius? (check out suzuki's website for price)
I understand people buying brand new 125s though, especially if you don't already have any bikers in your circle of friends who can lend you their bike, or give you advice, or even come with you to check out shoddy second hand deals. I was lucky I went to uni with a ton of bikers. Although if I had a bit more money I'd have brought that beautiful blue sv650 I saw recently. I just couldn't afford to keep two bikes. Boo!
Saw this on another thread and thought "I know just who would love to see that one!"

mountainmetman
Saw this on another thread and thought "I know just who would love to see that one!"

Thats what you get for not waering a helmet, like the rest od the people in the background :rolleyes:
ha, he's a stunter, will be well used to falling off hard. looks like the forks pissing out oil all over the place as a result of landing wheelies and harsh stoppies all the time
Talya
More than my Gladius? (check out suzuki's website for price)

Nope, mine was a year old second hand. But it was my first bike and took all of my savings.:biggrin:

And why are motorbike covers akin to giant sails? I've bunjeed it down but still the covers blown off twice. :mad:
Reply 2687
Lantana

And why are motorbike covers akin to giant sails? I've bunjeed it down but still the covers blown off twice. :mad:
There is only one option for you then: more bungees!!!
Reply 2688
Lantana
Nope, mine was a year old second hand. But it was my first bike and took all of my savings.:biggrin:

Wait until you want a big bike! And as for the bike covers, what you using? My oxford one has stayed on in 40mph winds one night. Has a clip under the engine and a lock though the cover and round a lamp-post. Plus a few bits of elastic. Was impressed. :smile:
Cj-Tj
Wait until you want a big bike! And as for the bike covers, what you using? My oxford one has stayed on in 40mph winds one night. Has a clip under the engine and a lock though the cover and round a lamp-post. Plus a few bits of elastic. Was impressed. :smile:

It's just one I got from my dads friend and is literally a fitted cover. It used to have holes on the side to attach bungees to but they broke :frown: so I now have to improvise. It's only a problem the half of the year I'm at uni which of course coincides with the wet and windy weather. I think I'll have to go on a raid to steal your cover :p:
Lantana
It's just one I got from my dads friend and is literally a fitted cover. It used to have holes on the side to attach bungees to but they broke :frown: so I now have to improvise. It's only a problem the half of the year I'm at uni which of course coincides with the wet and windy weather. I think I'll have to go on a raid to steal your cover :p:

What about a length of rope around the bike in 2 places?

My cover just tucked under the exhaust and plae and never blew off, until i riped, and now theres no much point of it.
Reply 2691
How much transmission whine should there be? Was taking my Fazer out on an off road environment and there seemed to be a hell of a lot. More than I was expecting anyway. Also, **** me its fast!!
Cj-Tj
How much transmission whine should there be? Was taking my Fazer out on an off road environment and there seemed to be a hell of a lot. More than I was expecting anyway. Also, **** me its fast!!

I'll ask bf when he's about about his fazer, but that'll be tomorrow if im lucky.

What did you expect buying a fazer, they're meant to be fast :biggrin: there's no way when bf decides to race that i can keep up.
Reply 2693
Bathwiggle
I'll ask bf when he's about about his fazer, but that'll be tomorrow if im lucky.

What did you expect buying a fazer, they're meant to be fast :biggrin: there's no way when bf decides to race that i can keep up.

I know they are ment to be fast - not complaining. Just from being on a CBF 600 behind an instructor and therefore having to behave nicely, to being on that thing with open road track and nobody to tell me to slow down, I surprised myself. :p:
Cj-Tj
I know they are ment to be fast - not complaining. Just from being on a CBF 600 behind an instructor and therefore having to behave nicely, to being on that thing with open road track and nobody to tell me to slow down, I surprised myself. :p:

LOL, that effect doesn't wear off either from what i've seen, as he disappears off down a long straight, and maybe rounf the bends... and then spends the next 10 min waiting for me to catch up.
i would say that i cant keep up with my dads fazer either, but it dosent mean much, considering i rarely get over 50-60mph (allthough head down, full throttle, downhill on the A2 ive got to a whole 70mph)

ooh and
passed my theory :P
Boristhethird
i would say that i cant keep up with my dads fazer either, but it dosent mean much, considering i rarely get over 50-60mph (allthough head down, full throttle, downhill on the A2 ive got to a whole 70mph)

ooh and
passed my theory :P

Well done :biggrin:

I've once got to 110, generally i stick to 80ish. But even just accelerating away, bf loses me.... sometimes i think its on purpose.
im starting to look at getting a bigger bike, ill (hopefully) be doing my restricted test over Christmas.
the bike needs to:
-be able to fit a top-box
-suitable for longish journeys
-be okay to commute on
I don't want a supersport (R6) as im worried ill kill myself a month of getting it.

it cant be a FZ6, Bandit 6, or a CB500, as these are allredy in my family.

I'm looking at spending about £1000, but don't want the bike to be to much over 10 years old.

there are 3 main engine sizes that im looking at (bikes in no particular order)

(prices are in red and are in the format [cost of bike] + [cost of tpo insurance for one year])
bike prices are from autotraider, insurance from the bike insurer

250cc insurance is about £240 for these
- Kawa ninja250 - too expensive, only realsed last year £3000 + £250
- hoysung GT250/GT250r - parts will be hard to get, can you get top boxes. £1600 +£240
- Yamaha virago 250 - im not much of a fan of crusers £1200 + £400
- Honda CB250 - £1400 + £210

400cc
-Suzuki Bandit 400 £800 + £500
-Honda hornet 400
-Yamaha fazer 400 cant find these for sale
all of these are low down, quite old, not going to be too easy to get parts, and usually gray imports. also i dont know what they are like for getting top-boxes fitted.

600cc(ish)
-Honda Hornet 600 £1200 + £500
-Suzuki SV650 £1200 + £500
-Suzuki GSX600F cant find price, i think about £1500 + £900 :O:
-Suzuki GSR £2800 + £605

if i had more money
-yamaha XJ6 £4500 +insurance
-yamaha XJ6 diversion F (if you buy this for me i will love you forever) not yet realsed
-yamaha MT-03 £3000 + £500

basicly i need more ideas of cheap bikes to last me 4 years ish.
any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 2698
Why cant you get what someone else in the family has? Your best bet would be a Fazer or Bandit I think? if you get a 250, 400 or some 600s you'll be bored, even once you have the restrictor off.

You can get a top box fitted to anything, you want something reliable, fun, and comfortable. 250s and 400s.... not fun. Have you looked at Honda CBF600? They are good as a commuter bike, bit wider and less sports orientated, but arnt brilliant for longer runs with no fairing. Hornets are ok as well I would think. Your not nessisarily going to kill yourself on a sports bike - insurance would bugger it up though.

I would (and did) get a 600 Fazer
Cj-Tj
Why cant you get what someone else in the family has? Your best bet would be a Fazer or Bandit I think? if you get a 250, 400 or some 600s you'll be bored, even once you have the restrictor off.

You can get a top box fitted to anything, you want something reliable, fun, and comfortable. 250s and 400s.... not fun. Have you looked at Honda CBF600? They are good as a commuter bike, bit wider and less sports orientated, but arnt brilliant for longer runs with no fairing. Hornets are ok as well I would think. Your not nessisarily going to kill yourself on a sports bike - insurance would bugger it up though.

I would (and did) get a 600 Fazer

the main problem with the fazer is the cost, cant find them cheap.
havent looked much at the CBF600, i thought they where pritty much the same as a hornet.
As im looking for a very cheap one i now have turned to looking at getting a Suzuki GS500, for about £700, while i try and get £4000 for a diversion in a few years.

Latest

Trending

Trending