The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

crazyjoyce
what rubber are you on? check tread depth and pressures aswell. well done for not dropping it though

if you really did get flashed, it'll be 3 points and a £60 fine, if it was raining, the water between the camera and your plate may have obscured it :confused:

The treads fine, as is tyre pressure and they are both things i thought, but there is normally a trail of oil the whole way down the road.. which is why i think its that.

If i do get a letter i might appeal on the basis i couldn't have stopped without losing the bike and causing a crash in a main junction. Worst they can do is say no. I'll be annoyed at the points as it'll increase my insurance, but i dont think i could have done anything differently
Bathwiggle
The treads fine, as is tyre pressure and they are both things i thought, but there is normally a trail of oil the whole way down the road.. which is why i think its that.

If i do get a letter i might appeal on the basis i couldn't have stopped without losing the bike and causing a crash in a main junction. Worst they can do is say no. I'll be annoyed at the points as it'll increase my insurance, but i dont think i could have done anything differently

yeah go for the appeal, as you say, nothing to loose. they will probably say you were riding too fast for the conditions, not seeing the oil - potential riding without due care and attention :/ if there were white lines or arrows etc, they are soooo slippy when wet

not to preach about road conditions but is just shows how aware you need to be on a bike, especially in the wet, and even more so in traffic
crazyjoyce
yeah go for the appeal, as you say, nothing to loose. they will probably say you were riding too fast for the conditions, not seeing the oil - potential riding without due care and attention :/ if there were white lines or arrows etc, they are soooo slippy when wet

not to preach about road conditions but is just shows how aware you need to be on a bike, especially in the wet, and even more so in traffic

Its a 40 and i had started slowing for the lights, before losing it, which is i think why i could recover, and i must be learning something as i didn't fall off! Its just sods law, it won't kill me to have points but will be annoying as its not i'm a bad rider, i just didn't want to fall off; which doesn't normally worry me.

As for the oil, you can't actually ride and avoid it down that road, there are spots the whole way across it.

Sods law the night before i was riding in the wind and torrential rain and no issues what so ever.

Oh well i'll update you in a few weeks if/when i get a letter
Reply 2803
Riding in the wind........

Got to do Coventry to Winchester tomorrow, and would rather be on the bike for fuel economy reasons, BUT its going to be muchos windy, and not sure if its sensible. Gusting about 35mph, and the roads im on are very exposed and open. Anyone have any experiences or advice? Just go for it and hope I dont get caught out or is it a bit silly?
Cj-Tj

Got to do Coventry to Winchester tomorrow, and would rather be on the bike for fuel economy reasons, BUT its going to be muchos windy, and not sure if its sensible. Gusting about 35mph, and the roads im on are very exposed and open. Anyone have any experiences or advice? Just go for it and hope I dont get caught out or is it a bit silly?

ive just turned back from a ride as it was just sooo gusty, didnt have anywhere to go fortunately.

you'll probably be fine but its not really worth the risk if you ask me, especially with HGV's swaying all over the place
Reply 2805
Cj-Tj

your hands will freeze and might fall off :p:
Talya

its all about heated grips and crazy expensive goretex gloves :biggrin:
Talya has heated grips- shes just not fitted them!!

I hate riding in strong winds, and will always try and avoid it, as i find it hard to keep the bike within the lane when i get hit by strong gusts.
laziness, took me like 20mins to fit them, tank off to route cables - multimeter to find an igntion live - relay - plumb into battery. sorted
inexperience might also count, at some point im meant to be getting OH to go down and help fit them. Baring mind shes a girl and doesn't have anyone to help fit them with experience, ie a father who can show her.

I will hazard they dont have a multimeter.
Reply 2810
I am so lazy I just got a cleaner :frown:

EDIT: Bathwiggle is correct. I do not own and never have owned a multimeter
Talya
I am so lazy I just got a cleaner :frown:

EDIT: Bathwiggle is correct. I do not own and never have owned a multimeter

Do you know what one is? :biggrin: (love me?)

And you got a cleaner!! does that mean you'll have more time to come see me?
Bathwiggle
inexperience might also count, at some point im meant to be getting OH to go down and help fit them. Baring mind shes a girl and doesn't have anyone to help fit them with experience, ie a father who can show her.

I will hazard they dont have a multimeter.

pah, improvise, lick your finger and touch bare wires its only 12V :wink:

you dont have to wire them through a relay, many people dont, i did as i knew i'd forget and they'd drain the battery
Mine were just done to the battery, but bf told my mother that i needed to get them wired to ignition, and she told the guy servicing my bike, so they are now wired in.

Bf got his done as he kept draining them at uni :biggrin:

I will try and get to southampton to get talyas done, or josh you could :biggrin:
ive got the new fancy oxford ones which wont turn on unless theres >12V to save the battery and they turn off <10V i think, never tested it as the relay cuts them dead on the ignition.

im in nottingham, thats an effort of a ride! my real names Josh, joyce is a stupid nickname that stuck
Changed!

Mine were cheap and cheerful buy one get one free, so we both got a set for xmas last year. Its effort, but she makes very good tea and even offers sugar, which is more than i do.

If i go to southampton, i have to go via billericay, chertsey, molesey, leatherhead, old working, then onto southampton, and back. Or remember not to tell my mother i'm not going to see talya.

OOOO and talya- the hall way is now white, the playroom is yellow and parents room has no wall paper (i was there for 1 day!)
Reply 2816
Talya

No, I have a fairing which sensible people use to reduce wind chill.

Anyway, was out today and generally fine. Purchased some cold weather undergarments to keep at least the top half of me warm, looked up the route online, and are packing to go. :smile:
Bathwiggle
Changed!

Mine were cheap and cheerful buy one get one free, so we both got a set for xmas last year. Its effort, but she makes very good tea and even offers sugar, which is more than i do.

If i go to southampton, i have to go via billericay, chertsey, molesey, leatherhead, old working, then onto southampton, and back. Or remember not to tell my mother i'm not going to see talya.

OOOO and talya- the hall way is now white, the playroom is yellow and parents room has no wall paper (i was there for 1 day!)

i only got the fancy ones as the ebay seller sent me the wrong thing!

i rode from notts to plymouth via exeter the other weekend, was looooong, i hate motorways and never ever use them but the B road route would have taken 8hours plus getting lost time. was horrible!
Cj-Tj
No, I have a fairing which sensible people use to reduce wind chill.

Anyway, was out today and generally fine. Purchased some cold weather undergarments to keep at least the top half of me warm, looked up the route online, and are packing to go. :smile:

Good thermals and keeping out the wind helps keep you warmer. I have the mits that go over my heated grips to keep the wind off, but i can still end up with lumps of ice for hands.

Josh- I hate motorways but sadly they are generally the quickest way, unless im out for a play.
Hey does anybody know if no claims built up from driving cars can be used to lower motorbike insurance premiums?

Latest

Trending

Trending