The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MHorman
Decided to buy the Chaser small again, same as my old one just a different pattern.

£249, compared to £330 last time.

Been looking into jeans and there are at least 10 different makes out there, confusing....

Being a girl made it easy. Which one looks the best. :biggrin: Plus i'd only really looked at draggin jeans reviews and i think they've been around the longest

bj_945
The first one got broken when I fell off my moped at about 30 mph onto the chinbar. Totally saved my face lol.

Then I got a second one and brought it here to Lebanon to ride, but now I realise posting it home will be too expensive. So I will have to buy a third one.:rolleyes:

Yeh, I want DD, but probs a cheaper helmet. I like Marushin actually.

Pecaex

Ah see at least you crashed in the first one. I just dropped in the on the floor. I would just go try on loads of helmets. sadly for me the arai and shoei i've tried dont fit with my head, where as the cheaper ones do. Go try on loads then go home and search for them online.
Bathwiggle
So i can have matching plant pots outside my front door? Although i have no plants. Marginally better than my mothers suggestion of a hamster cage

I'm sure someone somewhere told me that some fire stations take them for training. But i don't know who or where it was.

http://ontwowheels-eh.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-do-you-do-with-old-helmets.html

Your question answered!
I wrote a really snotty letter (recorded delivery) to the people that sold me my bike in such **** condition. Listing the flaws and how much it cost to get it repaired and requesting a refund to the value that it cost (around £300), threatening taking them to the small-claims court if they don't refund us!

I'm going to chase the letter with a phone call on satuday if I haven't got a reply. Dodgy bike dealers don't deserve to get an easy ride (pun not intended :P)

edit: Sorry for the double post!

Can i call you as helpful as everyone else?

Also in your letter did you give them a deadline to respond by? (i think its meant to be 7 days then it counts as them ignoring you) I hope they are nice to you
Bathwiggle
Can i call you as helpful as everyone else?

Also in your letter did you give them a deadline to respond by? (i think its meant to be 7 days then it counts as them ignoring you) I hope they are nice to you

But.. Everyone else isn't helpful at all!

And yes, I said 2 weeks... It's a fairly long deadline but oh well!
Chilledice
But.. Everyone else isn't helpful at all!

And yes, I said 2 weeks... It's a fairly long deadline but oh well!

:biggrin:

2 weeks is really generous, i'd have given them 7 days (or 5 working days just to upset them)
This probably seems like a really stupid question but how long can you be a learner on a motorbike for? I live in Northern Ireland and I'm 17.. Some people say that it's 2 years and then you must take your test. Others say you can be a learner for as long as you want?

Also what would be a suitable learner bike for a 5'7" female?
brokenangel27
This probably seems like a really stupid question but how long can you be a learner on a motorbike for? I live in Northern Ireland and I'm 17.. Some people say that it's 2 years and then you must take your test. Others say you can be a learner for as long as you want?

you need to pass a CBT to become a learner, which lasts for 2 years, then you can either take your test, or re-do your CBT.

Most 125 bikes will fit someone 5'7" i think, if you not too fussed about style (i.e. if you don't particularly want a cruiser or sports bike etc...) then if go for a Yamaha YBR125, or Honda CBF125.
brokenangel27

Northern ireland don't do CBT from what i remember (i got his wrong last time)

In england its 2 years until the CBT runs out, but http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/drivers/ride_motorcycle.htm says nothing about a cbt, so i think you can ride one indefinitely.

Your limited to a 125, and there are loads about mainly a more sitting up style.

EDIT http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/motoring/learner-and-new-drivers/riding-motorcycles-and-mopeds/information-for-moped-riders.htm
Hey people!

Just thought I'd come by and say hi. Sitting my CBT on Sunday - can't wait!

Was in a Yamaha dealership yesterday and had a look at some of their bikes. They've got new YBR 125 '09s for £2134, new YBR 125 '10s for £2260 and new YBR 125 Custom for £2660. All of them include a years Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance which can be upgraded to Fully Comprehensive for an extra £150. I think they said you get free gloves and a free helmet too.

Right now I'm liking the look of the YBR 125 2010 - anyone got any opinions on it?
JacksterD
Hey people!

Was in a Yamaha dealership yesterday and had a look at some of their bikes. They've got new YBR 125 '09s for £2134, new YBR 125 '10s for £2260 and new YBR 125 Custom for £2660. All of them include a years Third Party Fire and Theft Insurance which can be upgraded to Fully Comprehensive for an extra £150. I think they said you get free gloves and a free helmet too.

Right now I'm liking the look of the YBR 125 2010 - anyone got any opinions on it?

:wave:

Hello Jack, welcome to the TSR motorbike society! This may sound a bit strange, but are you sure you want a new bike for your first one? Unless you plan on keeping it for a while buying a used bike then selling it when you pass your test may be a better idea. :smile:

I've never ridden a YBR, but it's like most 125's fine below 50mph, a bit of a worry above that! But basically reliable and long-lasting! Have you looked at the Honda CG125 or CBR125? Great bikes which you can pick up used for about £1200
JacksterD
Hey people!

Talya had a 2007 one i think. It was very reliable, she upgraded the insurance to add her fiance and there were no problems with that. She also got 88mpg i think. So a good run round.

You wont be able to take it on the motorway, i think she could get hers up to 65mph and that was about it.. (petite girl riding)
Reply 3732
I like the YBR but it does lack the flexibility of the motorway :frown:
Chilledice
:wave:
Hello Jack, welcome to the TSR motorbike society!

This may sound a bit strange, but are you sure you want a new bike for your first one? Unless you plan on keeping it for a while buying a used bike then selling it when you pass your test may be a better idea. :smile:

To be honest I'm not sure how long I plan on keeping it. Right now I'm planning on keeping it for a while, but I can see me maybe wanting something bigger. The insurance, helmet and gloves deal on the new bikes does sound good to me though. And the new ones looked so shiny!!

I've never ridden a YBR, but it's like most 125's fine below 50mph, a bit of a worry above that! But basically reliable and long-lasting! Have you looked at the Honda CG125 or CBR125? Great bikes which you can pick up used for about £1200

I had a look at one of the 125 Hondas in the dealership, can't remember which model, but it looked a bit smaller than the YBR 125 which is a problem since I'm 6'4" - it looked a bit like a toy when I sat on it :p:
JacksterD
I had a look at one of the 125 Hondas in the dealership, can't remember which model, but it looked a bit smaller than the YBR 125 which is a problem since I'm 6'4" - it looked a bit like a toy when I sat on it :p:

honda's version of the YBR, is the CBF.
if you not keeping it long, is it worth getting an older bike, (for about £400) and saving the money for the bigger bike?
get an SR125 (the predecessor to the YBR) they are the best! (not that I'm bias or anything...
Boristhethird
honda's version of the YBR, is the CBF.
if you not keeping it long, is it worth getting an older bike, (for about £400) and saving the money for the bigger bike?
get an SR125 (the predecessor to the YBR) they are the best! (not that I'm bias or anything...

Hmm, it's a thought.

My uncle's got a bike and seems fairly knowledgeable, so me and him are going to go around the bike dealerships in Glasgow on Monday to see what's available. Hope to have something by Monday afternoon :biggrin:

I'll report back on how it goes - with pics if I buy anything :wink:
JacksterD
Hmm, it's a thought.

My uncle's got a bike and seems fairly knowledgeable, so me and him are going to go around the bike dealerships in Glasgow on Monday to see what's available. Hope to have something by Monday afternoon :biggrin:

I'll report back on how it goes - with pics if I buy anything :wink:

Best of luck! :smile:
Just off the phone with my uncle, he went round the Yamaha and the Honda dealership today and had a look at what they had on offer. He reckons that the CBF125 is way too small, and that the YBR125 is probably too small too. The only 125 he thought would be suitable was the Honda Varadero, but that's £3700 used :frown:

Why do I have to be so tall :mad:

edit: Just remembered I'll be on a YBR 125 for the CBT on Sunday, so I'll get a fairly good idea of how well the size suits me then - here's hoping!

Is there a general rule about how to tell if a bike is the right size for you? Like how on a normal bike your foot should just touch the floor when you're on the saddle (I think)
JacksterD
Just off the phone with my uncle, he went round the Yamaha and the Honda dealership today and had a look at what they had on offer. He reckons that the CBF125 is way too small, and that the YBR125 is probably too small too. The only 125 he thought would be suitable was the Honda Varadero, but that's £3700 used :frown:

edit: Just remembered I'll be on a YBR 125 for the CBT on Sunday, so I'll get a fairly good idea of how well the size suits me then - here's hoping!

Is there a general rule about how to tell if a bike is the right size for you? Like how on a normal bike your foot should just touch the floor when you're on the saddle (I think)

At least you can ride more than if your feet can't reach the floor.

THe best bet of knowing is to sit on them and see whats comfortable. I ride on tiptoes, my ex liked being able to get both feet flat on the floor.

There's no right way, just whats comfortable and what your confident with.
JacksterD

how tall is tall? im pretty much 6'6'' and rode a CG125 fine, its only a 125, its not like you're going to be touring europe on it. get it, pass test, buy a 600

Latest

Trending

Trending